boostrer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:41
Member (2007)
English to Russian
+ ...
Jul 26, 2008

Dear colleagues,

1) Some agency asked me to edit a very bad web-page translation made in Trados TagEditor (I guess, this alone could cause its low quality). I would prefer to work in a web-page editor: the site is not technical, I'll have to reword whole paragraphs. Couldn't you recommend some useful program?

2) TagEditor when I open TTX files and Workbench when I am trying to clean them complain that the original INI file is absent. Can this problem cause irreversible
... See more
Dear colleagues,

1) Some agency asked me to edit a very bad web-page translation made in Trados TagEditor (I guess, this alone could cause its low quality). I would prefer to work in a web-page editor: the site is not technical, I'll have to reword whole paragraphs. Couldn't you recommend some useful program?

2) TagEditor when I open TTX files and Workbench when I am trying to clean them complain that the original INI file is absent. Can this problem cause irreversible damage to the file or the customer will be able to use it with his original settings?

Thank you in advance.
Collapse

USER0059 (X)
USER0059 (X)  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 10:41
English to Finnish
+ ...
FrontPage®, or any text editor Jul 26, 2008

boostrer wrote:

Some agency asked me to edit a very bad web-page translation made in Trados TagEditor (I guess, this alone could cause its low quality). I would prefer to work in a web-page editor: the site is not technical, I'll have to reword whole paragraphs. Couldn't you recommend some useful program?

According to your profile, you use Microsoft Office. As such, I suggest trying FrontPage, if you have it.

You can also use your favourite text editor.

[Edited at 2008-07-26 05:22]

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Better don't use Frontpage Jul 26, 2008

... unless the page was created with it.

In the very beginning, I used commercial html editors, which led to complaints from clients, saying that these editor did something to the html sourcecode.

Actually, I do not think that TE is such a bad option after all. You can be absolutely sure that no code is harmed and you can switch to preview anytime to see how the text looks like in its natural environment.

USER0059 (X)
Finland
English to Finnish
+ ...
So FrontPage did something, hmm Jul 26, 2008

Wolfgang Jörissen wrote:

In the very beginning, I used commercial html editors, which led to complaints from clients, saying that these editor did something to the html sourcecode.

I have not noticed that FrontPage would do anything one does not tell it to do. (Of course, that is nonetheless possible.)

When working on the mark-up directly (in the “code” tab), one would immediately see any unwelcome changes. On the other hand, if one instead uses the “design” tab, then one commands FrontPage to do things to the mark-up, does one not?

USER0059 (X)
Finland
English to Finnish
+ ...
Oops, wrong forum Jul 26, 2008

Thor Kottelin wrote (something)

However, now I notice that we are entirely off the topic for this forum. I apologize. My fingertips are sealed.

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 02:41
Spanish
+ ...
Notepad Jul 26, 2008

HTML editors add their own codes and it make a bad coded html page even worse. If you don't want to use TE, you could save it as target>html. I don't think you need an .ini file if it's just html.

I prefer to check html with good old fashioned notepad and a browser. FrontPage and other html editors modify the original code for some reason. But if your client wants you to use TE, they might want the .ttx file back.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
A few good ones Jul 27, 2008

I have recently used both Kompozer and SeaMonkey - they are very similar to each other.

What I like about them is that they both have different tabs to view (and edit) the code, the tags and the content. There is a tab to preview the page as well, to see what it will look like on the Web.

Both tools are very simple to work with. What's also nice about them is that they let you edit the text directly in the preview tab, so the chances of accidentally overwriting the code
... See more
I have recently used both Kompozer and SeaMonkey - they are very similar to each other.

What I like about them is that they both have different tabs to view (and edit) the code, the tags and the content. There is a tab to preview the page as well, to see what it will look like on the Web.

Both tools are very simple to work with. What's also nice about them is that they let you edit the text directly in the preview tab, so the chances of accidentally overwriting the code are virtually nonexistent, while you get to see what the result will be like in real time.

If you google the names of these programs, you will find them easily.

All the best!
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:41
English to German
+ ...
Topic moved Jul 27, 2008

Thor Kottelin wrote:

Thor Kottelin wrote (something)

However, now I notice that we are entirely off the topic for this forum. I apologize. My fingertips are sealed.

No problem - I moved the topic.

Best regards,
Ralf

boostrer
boostrer  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2007)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Amaya - highly recommended Jul 27, 2008

Dear all,

Thank you a lot for your responses. Unfortunately, I had no time to wait, so this is what I have found.

This is a message for those who may have a similar problem. I have found Amaya Open source editor that allows editing web-page as a plain text (something like SeaMonkey (see the posting of Viktoria Gimbe), if I am not wrong). It is very convenient. Its only only problem is that it recognizes some elements of the code as mistakes and corrects them. This occur
... See more
Dear all,

Thank you a lot for your responses. Unfortunately, I had no time to wait, so this is what I have found.

This is a message for those who may have a similar problem. I have found Amaya Open source editor that allows editing web-page as a plain text (something like SeaMonkey (see the posting of Viktoria Gimbe), if I am not wrong). It is very convenient. Its only only problem is that it recognizes some elements of the code as mistakes and corrects them. This occurs rarely and can be easily corrected (I C&P a line from the original page into the final translation).

2 moderators
Excuse me for posting in a wrong forum.

[Edited at 2008-07-27 17:32]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Editing a web-page

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »