How do I make a printable PDF file?
Thread poster: wonita (X)
wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
Local time: 12:40
Jul 21, 2008

I did a small translation in PPT for a client a few weeks ago and sent her the translation as PPT and PDF. Now she told me there is a graphic error that she can't print the PDF file; I should make a printable PDF out of the PPT.

I don't really understand what she meant. Besides, how can I make a printable PDF?

Thank you!

Bin

Boyan Brezinsky
Boyan Brezinsky  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 17:40
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
PDFs are printable by default Jul 21, 2008

One must especially protect a PDF file in order to make it not printable. Otherwise, by default the PDF files are printable. If the other side can see the PDF on their screen, they should be able to print it. If they still can't - this happens sometimes, - one possible solution would be to turn on the option "Print as image" in "Print"->"Advanced" dialog in Adobe Reader.
On the other hand, I don't quite understand - even if the PDF can not be printed, there is the PPT file that can be prin
... See more
One must especially protect a PDF file in order to make it not printable. Otherwise, by default the PDF files are printable. If the other side can see the PDF on their screen, they should be able to print it. If they still can't - this happens sometimes, - one possible solution would be to turn on the option "Print as image" in "Print"->"Advanced" dialog in Adobe Reader.
On the other hand, I don't quite understand - even if the PDF can not be printed, there is the PPT file that can be printed. And there is a free PowerPoint viewer from Microsoft, in case that particular computer has no MS Office installed.
Collapse

Olaf (X)
Olaf (X)
Local time: 16:40
English to German
How did you create the PDF? Jul 21, 2008

You should ask the client for more details. If you created the .pdf by simply printing the file with Adobe PDF printer driver, the client might have problems printing the .pdf if the fonts that you used were not embedded and no other Chinese fonts are installed on the target system. You may want to have a look at the properties of the .pdf file to make sure that all fonts were embedded.

Olaf

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
Local time: 12:40
TOPIC STARTER
It is probably the reason Jul 22, 2008

Olaf wrote:

You should ask the client for more details. If you created the .pdf by simply printing the file with Adobe PDF printer driver, the client might have problems printing the .pdf if the fonts that you used were not embedded and no other Chinese fonts are installed on the target system. You may want to have a look at the properties of the .pdf file to make sure that all fonts were embedded.

Olaf

Thank you for the reply.

I created the PDF file through the function "save as PDF". The client does not have fonts for Asian characters on her PC. That is probably the reason why she could not print it.

Given she is not willing to install "SIMSUN" on her PC, how should I create a PDF out of the PPT for her to print?

Thanks
Bin

[Edited at 2008-07-22 14:29]

Olaf (X)
Olaf (X)
Local time: 16:40
English to German
Can you outline the fonts? Jul 22, 2008

If you have DTP software such as Adobe Illustrator/CS or Indesign you could try opening the .pdf file with it and outline the fonts. I.e. convert them to graphics. This way the client should be able to print them even if they don't have Chinese fonts installed.

If you have no idea what "outline" means send me both the .pdf and the .ppt files via my profile and I'll convert them for you.

Olaf

Enrico Castillo
Enrico Castillo
English to Spanish
An alternative to "outline" fonts is to embed them Jul 24, 2008

Ever heard of PDF/A? It is a PDF standard designed to make the PDF file truly portable. This includes embedding all the fonts used in the actual PDF file without the kind of loss of fidelity associated with making text into outlines. The A stands for "Archive".

You can read more about PDF/A here: www.pdfa.org

Assuming you are using Windows, I'm aware of at least one 100% free "print to PDF
... See more
Ever heard of PDF/A? It is a PDF standard designed to make the PDF file truly portable. This includes embedding all the fonts used in the actual PDF file without the kind of loss of fidelity associated with making text into outlines. The A stands for "Archive".

You can read more about PDF/A here: www.pdfa.org

Assuming you are using Windows, I'm aware of at least one 100% free "print to PDF/A" solution:
http://www.soliddocuments.com/pdf/_free_cover_cd/273

Just be sure to select PDF/A as your output format and you won't need to bother with any other settings to make a PDF file that you can be confident will open just fine on the client's computer.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I make a printable PDF file?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »