Thread poster: Libero_Lang_Lab
Libero_Lang_Lab
Libero_Lang_Lab  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:10
Russian to English
+ ...
Mar 7, 2006

Apologies for breaking the rules and posting in English... I have a Czech typesetting query which I hope you can help with.

We are currently preparing the text of a magazine in Czech. The font that the publisher has provided for the headings does not seem compatible with Czech and doesn't preserve the accents/diacrytics (we are okay with the font for the body text, thankfully).

My question is this: is it totally unacceptable/would it look completely wierd to see heading
... See more
Apologies for breaking the rules and posting in English... I have a Czech typesetting query which I hope you can help with.

We are currently preparing the text of a magazine in Czech. The font that the publisher has provided for the headings does not seem compatible with Czech and doesn't preserve the accents/diacrytics (we are okay with the font for the body text, thankfully).

My question is this: is it totally unacceptable/would it look completely wierd to see heading in Czech without the diacrytics?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Dan
Collapse

Veronika Hansova
Veronika Hansova  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 11:10
Member (2006)
English to Czech
+ ...
Depends... Mar 7, 2006

... on the type of your magazine - formal or unofficial, printed version (guess so) or e-zin... I believe all native Czechs can read the text without diacritics though there are words that have different meanings when written with and without diacritics. But generally, when we can comprehend the context, we can decipher the words without diacritics with no problem. The thing is that it does not look good if it is to be formal, official, professional etc. In my view if it is to be published on th... See more
... on the type of your magazine - formal or unofficial, printed version (guess so) or e-zin... I believe all native Czechs can read the text without diacritics though there are words that have different meanings when written with and without diacritics. But generally, when we can comprehend the context, we can decipher the words without diacritics with no problem. The thing is that it does not look good if it is to be formal, official, professional etc. In my view if it is to be published on the internet, I would not mind having it without the diacritics. However - if it is going t be printed and distributed, then I would recommend you finding and installing the correct Czech font.
Hope, this will help you a bit
Collapse

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Accents in print Mar 7, 2006

is it totally unacceptable/would it look completely wierd to see heading in Czech without the diacrytics?

Yes, it definitely is. It could also change the meaning of some words.

Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Germany
Czech to German
+ ...
No problems... Mar 7, 2006

Daniel Brennan wrote:

(we are okay with the font for the body text, thankfully).

My question is this: is it totally unacceptable/would it look completely wierd to see heading in Czech without the diacrytics?

Hi Dan,

I would not dare to comment whether it is acceptable or not (I'm not a native-speaker of Czech) but normally I don't have problems reading a text without diacritics.
Just in case you won't get the correct font for the headline: would it not be possible to use your font for the body text?

Good luck!

Charlotte

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
No problems...? Mar 8, 2006

Of course that text without diacritics is readable and makes sense, but omitting diacritics is simply incorrect. It is acceptable in a blog or e-mail, but not in any professional document.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Accents in print

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »