Trados 2011/Trados 2014 trial - rozbité české znaky ve finalizovaných HTM v Poznámkovém bloku
Thread poster: Vojtěch Schubert
Vojtěch Schubert
Vojtěch Schubert  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 22:11
English to Czech
+ ...
Nov 9, 2014

Dobrý den,

mám jeden problém s Tradosem a českými znaky, dávám to pro jistotu ještě sem, snad pomohou spíše krajané: http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/277363-trados_2011_trados_2014_trial_broken_czech_characters_in_exported_translated_htm_in_notepad.html<
... See more
Dobrý den,

mám jeden problém s Tradosem a českými znaky, dávám to pro jistotu ještě sem, snad pomohou spíše krajané: http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/277363-trados_2011_trados_2014_trial_broken_czech_characters_in_exported_translated_htm_in_notepad.html

Děkuji za pomoc!

Celý text pak:

Dear all.

I translated a set of .htm files in Trados 2011. I used a standard method and finalized the project without any problem. The Czech characters in the finalized target .htm files are without any problem. All is fine and the translation can be used as final translated files, but not when client wants to edit them.

However, the client wishes to have the possibility to do some editing directly in the .htm file in Notepad. There is the problem. Trados 2011 (tried this even in Trados 2014 trial, the results is the same) just uses some codes in order to render Czech special characters, instead of using the actual Czech characters.

Translated files, processed in Trados (just an example):
.htm file opened in a browser (characters OK): Detail designu: Účtování řádku finančního deníku
.htm file opened in Notepad (characters broken): Detail designu: Detail designu: &Uacte;ètov&aacte;n&iacte; øádku finanèn&iacte;ho den&iacte;ku
How it should be (same as the first one, characters OK): Detail designu: Účtování řádku finančního deníku

The client needs to have the text correctly in order to edit it in Notepad. I am unable to make Trados render it correctly, even if I force target character set encoding to compatbile UTF-8 or Windows-1250 or 1252. It stays broken.

What I had to do was to install memoQ, load TM (TMX export from Trados) and manually process all segments and then finalize/export the .htm files in memoQ. Because memoQ renders the Czech characters correctly not only in the .htm file opened in a browser, but also in the Notepad when you want to edit the file.

Translated files, processed in memoQ (just an example:
.htm file opened in a browser (characters OK): Detail designu: Účtování řádku finančního deníku
.htm file opened in Notepad (characters broken): Detail designu: Účtování řádku finančního deníku
How it should be (same as the first one, characters OK): Detail designu: Účtování řádku finančního deníku

memoQ does it all fine: characters are displayed correctly even when the file is opened in Notepad - no codes used, just actual Czech special characters and that is how I need it.

So, my question is how to make Trados to render/encode the Czech characters as actual Czech characters (not as codes), so that it is correctly displayed even when opened in Notepad? I do not feel like buyinq memoQ just because of this.

Thank you very much for advising, any help is much appreciated.
Collapse

Vojtěch Schubert
Vojtěch Schubert  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 22:11
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solved Nov 9, 2014

Solved through this: http://producthelp.sdl.com/sdl%20trados%20studio/client_en/SDL_Trados_Studio_Help.htm#Ref/U-Z/Options/File_Types/HTML_Entity_conversion.htm If anyone needs this, just disable entity conversion.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Trados 2011/Trados 2014 trial - rozbité české znaky ve finalizovaných HTM v Poznámkovém bloku

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »