Czech keying using US keyboard with Czech layout
Thread poster: Yngve Roennike
Yngve Roennike
Yngve Roennike
Local time: 18:09
Swedish to English
+ ...
Apr 9, 2014

The problem here is that some keys are assigned as much as four characters, two for either upper or lower case. I seem to recall that there is a special Alt key for accessing the ones that you cannot access by simply pressing the regular Alt key. One example: Numeric 9 can also be used to type (, and " can be used to type the special Czech apostrophe characters that is pretty prevalent.
Is there a way of handling this? Please again note I do not have a European style keyboard, or perha
... See more
The problem here is that some keys are assigned as much as four characters, two for either upper or lower case. I seem to recall that there is a special Alt key for accessing the ones that you cannot access by simply pressing the regular Alt key. One example: Numeric 9 can also be used to type (, and " can be used to type the special Czech apostrophe characters that is pretty prevalent.
Is there a way of handling this? Please again note I do not have a European style keyboard, or perhaps one can be soft-installed under Windows 8.1. Also, I do know you can use combinations of characters related to the ASCII code, but that is of little interest to me.
Collapse

Václav Pinkava
Václav Pinkava  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:09
Czech to English
+ ...
why don't you just use accent deadkeys? Apr 9, 2014

I mean the key to the left of backspace, unshifted gives accent ´, shifted gives accent ˇ and for ů use ˇ followed by u.
For capitals, toggle capslock.

Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI
Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 00:09
Member (2008)
English to Czech
SITE LOCALIZER
language Apr 10, 2014

or perhaps one can be soft-installed under Windows 8.1

You can try "To switch between keyboards or input methods" and "Add a keyboard layout for a language" here:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/add-language-keyboard

Yngve Roennike
Yngve Roennike
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Riposte 1 Apr 10, 2014

@Victor: I know there are tricks you can use, and I certainly appreciate this one, but if you can simply press one key, why bother with two. I have the Czech keyboard installed. Instead of pressing the combination you suggest, pressing for instance numeral 2 produces the e hacek, no need to bother with dual entry, which in the long run is tedious. My problem is that I cannot produce the Czech apostrophe, which is listed as an option on the far right key second row from the bottom. I am vagu... See more
@Victor: I know there are tricks you can use, and I certainly appreciate this one, but if you can simply press one key, why bother with two. I have the Czech keyboard installed. Instead of pressing the combination you suggest, pressing for instance numeral 2 produces the e hacek, no need to bother with dual entry, which in the long run is tedious. My problem is that I cannot produce the Czech apostrophe, which is listed as an option on the far right key second row from the bottom. I am vaguely aware that there keys are accessed by pressing the special Alt that you have on EU keyboards, but which are absent on US keyboard layouts, so I am back to square one on this one.
So how do you in the Czech republic go about all this?

You can see the Czech configuration for example here:
https://www.google.com/search?q=czech%20keyboard&rlz=1C1RNVH_enUS574US574&espv=210&es_sm=93&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=wR1EU7WbNpOlsATDn4GwAw&ved=0CC8QsAQ&biw=1920&bih=974#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=bO8-5F25ExsdqM%3A;iwMFvzsbUl7m-M;http%3A%2F%2Facscc.org%2FGraphics%2Fczkybd4szd.jpg;http%3A%2F%2Facscc.org%2FPapers%2FCzDocs6H.html;575;278

@Tomas: I was wondering if there is an option to install the EU keyboard with the special Alt key in Windows 8.1. As you can probably gather from the above, I have indeed installed the Czech Quertz keyboard, there is also a programmer's keyboard based on Querty, but with no accents.
Collapse

Pavel Slama
Pavel Slama  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
English to Czech
+ ...
What, no AltGr? Apr 11, 2014

You're saying there is no AltGr key (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AltGr_key) on your keyboard? Ie, that the right Alt key does not work as expected with Czech Qwertz installed?

Pavel Slama
Pavel Slama  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
English to Czech
+ ...
Apostrophy Apr 11, 2014

You can test the AltGr key on Czech Quertz by typing “AltGr+V”, which should produce “@”.

BUT: The apostrophe in particular is NOT accessible via AltGr, as it is accessible without it -- this is the one key that actually may be missing from your US keyboard. The best advice I can for this particular key is: Hold down Alt, key 39 on numpad. Voilà!

Hope that helps.

Yngve Roennike
Yngve Roennike
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Riposte #2 Apr 12, 2014

Very helpful comments, tks.
On a US keyboard the is no AltGr (what does the Gr signify, btw?), but the right Alt key does work, it turns out, although it is more awkward to use than the left Alt key.

I use the Czech keyboard for looking up words in my Prodict from Stormware, which still has not been localized to the US or any other country outside of the Czech Republic apparently. You have to start up your computer in Czech mode, a very impractical proposition IMO. Does anyo
... See more
Very helpful comments, tks.
On a US keyboard the is no AltGr (what does the Gr signify, btw?), but the right Alt key does work, it turns out, although it is more awkward to use than the left Alt key.

I use the Czech keyboard for looking up words in my Prodict from Stormware, which still has not been localized to the US or any other country outside of the Czech Republic apparently. You have to start up your computer in Czech mode, a very impractical proposition IMO. Does anyone know, now I got you all's attention, whether this has been fixed in a more recent version, or whether they've abandoned this project altogether. It would be sad, it is such an outstanding piece of work.
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Czech keying using US keyboard with Czech layout

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »