Thread poster: Lorenzo Lilli
Lorenzo Lilli
Lorenzo Lilli  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:40
German to Italian
+ ...
Aug 26, 2009

Hi everybody,
first of all sorry for writing in English. I'd like to ask you Czech colleagues for a piece of advice about Prague: I was thinking of going there for a few days in September or October, but a friend who went there about 1 month ago told me that part of the city (eg Charles Bridge) was wrapped up for renovations. My question is: is it worth it anyway to visit Prague now? or is it better to wait a bit (say a few months)? Do you know how long the renovation should last?
Ma
... See more
Hi everybody,
first of all sorry for writing in English. I'd like to ask you Czech colleagues for a piece of advice about Prague: I was thinking of going there for a few days in September or October, but a friend who went there about 1 month ago told me that part of the city (eg Charles Bridge) was wrapped up for renovations. My question is: is it worth it anyway to visit Prague now? or is it better to wait a bit (say a few months)? Do you know how long the renovation should last?
Many thanks in advance for any advice.
Collapse

Prokop Vantuch
Prokop Vantuch  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Charles Bridge Renovation Aug 26, 2009

Hi Lorenzo,

I'm not actually from Prague, but I've found a website dedicated to the Charles Bridge renovation (http://www.opravakarlovamostu.cz/). It's only in Czech, unfortunately, but you can use google translator (although I don't really like saying that ) to translate the introductory article (the first few paragraphs c
... See more
Hi Lorenzo,

I'm not actually from Prague, but I've found a website dedicated to the Charles Bridge renovation (http://www.opravakarlovamostu.cz/). It's only in Czech, unfortunately, but you can use google translator (although I don't really like saying that ) to translate the introductory article (the first few paragraphs contain the important things, the rest is technical stuff).

Another website, which is also in English and might be sufficient for your information, is http://www.praha.eu/jnp/en/visitors/charles_bridge/reconstruction/index.html.

As regards the renovation, it seems the deadline is somewhere in 2010.

Anyway, here's a webcam (http://www.opravakarlovamostu.cz/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=59&lang=en). It seems to me that still you might be able to see and take pictures of a large part of the bridge without any renovations going on.

Hope it helped a bit.
Prokop
Collapse

Lorenzo Lilli
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aug 26, 2009

Hi Prokop,
thanks a lot for your feedback. It seems it's worth it anyway, so I think I'll take advantage of the special offers I've just seen for flights. Who knows, if Prague is as marvelous as I heard it is, why not come back once again later?

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Going to Prague Aug 31, 2009

My question is: is it worth it anyway to visit Prague now? or is it better to wait a bit (say a few months)? Do you know how long the renovation should last?
Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Hi Lorenzo,
it is definitely worth it to visit the Czech Republic. The Czech Republic is not only Prague; there are countless other places worth visiting as well. Visiting other regions, you won't at least be ripped off by the notoriously-known Prague taxi drivers...

[Upraveno: 2009-08-31 11:06 GMT]

Lorenzo Lilli
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Aug 31, 2009

Hi Stanislav,
thanks for your reply. I had already heard the reputation of taxi drivers, I'll take only publc transport

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Going to Prague

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »