A témához tartozó oldalak:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95] >
Corona quarantine diary
Téma indítója: Mervyn Henderson

Mervyn Henderson  Identity Verified
Spanyolország
Local time: 21:23
spanyol - angol
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
@Anne May 1

Very interesting! I knew I couldn't be the only one who had noticed all the weird murder investigation content. In fact, only last week I sat down to Assassinat à ... was it Plouclec or something like that in Brittany? ..., thinking maybe they'd got over all the witching stuff, but no, there was an ancient curse, the Curse of the Inner Circle of Druids, notably (I know notably doesn't make sense, but I can just see a French sentence with "notamment" in there for no reason).

And, he
... See more
Very interesting! I knew I couldn't be the only one who had noticed all the weird murder investigation content. In fact, only last week I sat down to Assassinat à ... was it Plouclec or something like that in Brittany? ..., thinking maybe they'd got over all the witching stuff, but no, there was an ancient curse, the Curse of the Inner Circle of Druids, notably (I know notably doesn't make sense, but I can just see a French sentence with "notamment" in there for no reason).

And, helpfully, you mention the Germans, albeit at a bit of a tangent, but it's a large enough tangent for me to move in there too ...

I got a bit bored with Cobra and the endless racing around and car chases, because it was a bit like The Sweeney, but maybe minus the drinking and swearing, but the Germans have some very good detective series, I think, and they seem to go for the women too.

There's the moody, tortured Inspector Weiss in Nur für Weiss, for example, and her pastor father and disgruntled sister in the background, and also Inspector Helen Dorn, who doesn't even need a title, just "Helen Dorn" - also moody, also tortured. Both of them ooze a constant sexual tension along with a kind of noble bad-assery, of course, but they are apparently inaccessible, as rough tough women should be. The former, however, manages to get laid at least once during her investigations. Kind of moodily and torturedly, of course, whipping the bedclothes off her partner the next morning and saying "Hey! You have to go now". When you're tough and hard-bitten, it's the only way, we all understand that. No lying around in bed smooching, saying Was it gut for you too, Liebchen?

Then, on Saturday afternoons here we move from detectives to romance, with those Rosamund Pilcher novel adaptations, but curiously set in Cornwall or Somerset or Scotland. The intro is always loud triumphal music, kind of low-key Wagnerian, as the camera sweeps across cliffs and meadows, and down we go into the village with its red phone booths, a Constable Perkins speaking German, jolly Fred and Margie at the Red Lion pub, offering up their Yorkshire hotpot in German too, and the beleaguered heroine Sally, also fluent in German, who is sad because she can't afford to keep the Downton Abbeyesque manor she's lived in all her life that's now been bequeathed to her, but then along comes the mysterious but affable Patrick, a tortured Scottish philanthropist who happens to speak German, and ...

It takes about an hour and three quarters. By the way, in case you were curious, Sally and Patrick get married in the end, and the manor is saved. The ceremony is carried out at the manor. Auf Deutsch, natürlich.

[Edited at 2021-05-01 09:03 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-05-01 09:05 GMT]
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
Zibow Retailleau

Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosznia-Hercegovina
angol - horvát
+ ...
Thanks. May 1

P.L.F.Persio wrote:

Lingua 5B, I hope to read other episodes of your gripping tale, that was so good!

I particularly liked the Kinder Surprise egg metaphor, and this sentence: If pain and anger had a baby, this baby was overwhelming him at that point. We've all been there.

[Edited at 2021-04-30 11:26 GMT]

Thanks Portia. Can you give me five random words (can be physical objects, abstract notions, or any other word)?

[Edited at 2021-05-01 09:21 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Hollandia
Tag (2010 óta)
angol - olasz
+ ...
How about ... May 1

Lingua 5B wrote:

Can you give me five random words (can be physical objects, abstract notions, or any other word)?

... ice cream, self-determination, the colour blue, claustrophobia, daffodils?

I'm so excited just thinking about what you, Biljana, and the others would be able to come up with these ones.

Lingua 5B
Mervyn Henderson
Zibow Retailleau

Adieu  Identity Verified
orosz - angol
Hmmm May 2

P.L.F.Persio wrote:

Lingua 5B wrote:

Can you give me five random words (can be physical objects, abstract notions, or any other word)?

I'm so excited just thinking about what you, Biljana, and the others would be able to come up with these ones.

Sounds like an emo song from the 2000's?

P.L.F. Persio

Hollandia
Tag (2010 óta)
angol - olasz
+ ...
I wouldn't know May 2

Adieu wrote:

Sounds like an emo song from the 2000's?

I've never been down with the kids.

Mervyn Henderson

Spanyolország
spanyol - angol
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
Those five words May 3

There I was this weekend, watching the box, dug into a tub of Häagen Dazs ice cream, but all the talk from Catalonia about self-determination was getting me down. I was so blue, I thought to myself, "Lad, you're going to come down with a nasty dose of claustrophobia, so what you need is to get out and about", and I did, I did get out and about and wandering, and so I wandered lonely as a cloud that floats on high o'er vales and hills, when all at once I saw a crowd, a host, of golden daffodils.... See more
There I was this weekend, watching the box, dug into a tub of Häagen Dazs ice cream, but all the talk from Catalonia about self-determination was getting me down. I was so blue, I thought to myself, "Lad, you're going to come down with a nasty dose of claustrophobia, so what you need is to get out and about", and I did, I did get out and about and wandering, and so I wandered lonely as a cloud that floats on high o'er vales and hills, when all at once I saw a crowd, a host, of golden daffodils.

Definitely a words' worth, I'd say ...
Collapse

Chris T
Zibow Retailleau
P.L.F. Persio
Barbara Carrara
Lingua 5B
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Hollandia
Tag (2010 óta)
angol - olasz
+ ...
That's ace! May 3

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

There I was this weekend, watching the box, dug into a tub of Häagen Dazs ice cream, but all the talk from Catalonia about self-determination was getting me down. I was so blue, I thought to myself, "Lad, you're going to come down with a nasty dose of claustrophobia, so what you need is to get out and about", and I did, I did get out and about and wandering, and so I wandered lonely as a cloud that floats on high o'er vales and hills, when all at once I saw a crowd, a host, of golden daffodils.

Definitely a words' worth, I'd say ...

Barbara Carrara
Chris T

Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Németország
Tag (2007 óta)
holland - német
+ ...
Your input, please: May 3

Felipe Lacerda wrote:
Sometimes I wish we were an eagle.

... looks like some participants get a kind of Covid blues here: They go to Querdenker demonstrations in a country they neither come from nor like, others start dreaming of picking flowers, while others rename their profiles after a huge monument of Rio de Janeiro. And you? Did you already become an eagle? Am I the only one here still at work?

Chris T
P.L.F. Persio
Zibow Retailleau
Mervyn Henderson

Zibow Retailleau  Identity Verified
Mauritius
Local time: 23:23
angol - kínai
+ ...
Me too. Those five words. May 3

As she was going to his place she was thinking about him. She knew he was not ready to settle down. She once tried to break up with him. Could she say ‘break up’, though? They were just having sex. Oh, yes, mind-blowing sex! No, show some self-determination, girl! she told herself.

He opened the door and smiled at her. He held the door for her to let her come in, but she was not moving. He was baffled.

‘Here. This is for you,’ she handed him a box of homemade va
... See more
As she was going to his place she was thinking about him. She knew he was not ready to settle down. She once tried to break up with him. Could she say ‘break up’, though? They were just having sex. Oh, yes, mind-blowing sex! No, show some self-determination, girl! she told herself.

He opened the door and smiled at her. He held the door for her to let her come in, but she was not moving. He was baffled.

‘Here. This is for you,’ she handed him a box of homemade vanilla ice cream.
‘You are not coming in?’ he asked.
‘No, and I never will again,’ she turned to leave but stopped halfway. With her back facing him, she said, ‘Happy Blue Valentine, by the way.’ Then she hurried to the lift. She normally took the stairs because she had claustrophobia, but she did not want to allow herself time to change her mind.

The doors of the lift were closing but his hands stopped them. ‘Please don’t leave, Daffodil. I want you to be my girl.’

OK, I cheated at the word 'daffodils'. Is it still acceptable?

[Edited at 2021-05-03 15:55 GMT]
Collapse

Lingua 5B
Chris T
Barbara Carrara
P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson
Matthias Brombach
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Bosznia-Hercegovina
angol - horvát
+ ...
Re. weekly exercise. May 3

- On weekly exercise -

The Glass is Half Full

The therapist was a fairly young lady in her late twenties. She was dressed smart, wearing a beige business dress and a pair of stylish black pumps. There was an air of dignity and pride about her. She walked and took actions confidently and with self-determination. As she was waiting for her next client to arrive at 3 pm, her computer was receiving data inputs coming from her fingertips.

- Please Anne, take a
... See more
- On weekly exercise -

The Glass is Half Full

The therapist was a fairly young lady in her late twenties. She was dressed smart, wearing a beige business dress and a pair of stylish black pumps. There was an air of dignity and pride about her. She walked and took actions confidently and with self-determination. As she was waiting for her next client to arrive at 3 pm, her computer was receiving data inputs coming from her fingertips.

- Please Anne, take a seat. How have you been since our session last week?, she asked while moving away a big bouquet of daffodils on her desk that was blocking her view of the patient.
- I tried to implement the exposure strategies.
- How did it go?
- My anxiety attack had strawberry flavor.
- So you did think about your favorite ice cream while riding alone in the elevator?
- Yes, I did. It did nothing for the anxiety though. I only thought my imaginary ice cream would melt away as it was so hot and congested inside the elevator. Naturally, I felt like I couldn't breathe again.
- OK, sorry to hear that. We will explore other options. Maybe you can go back to that childhood event when you were looking after your little brother and he got stuck in the elevator and then explore the emotions such as fear, panic and helplessness that you felt there. Assign a 1-10 intensity number to each emotion. This will help you get in tune with your feelings better, as a first step.
- Great, I can do that. Although only thinking about it will give me an anxiety attack.
- Then enter a 10 for panic.
- I won't be able to, when I'm in panic I can't focus on the questionnaire or data entering.
- OK we will do it together right here, I'll enter them for you.
- Think of that event. How much panic do you feel from 1 to 10?
- OK, and what else can you feel?
- Just overall helplessness. I am holding his little blue sweater in my hands as he's screaming and crying inside the elevator.
- Eventually it all ended well according to your account. Describe the feeling after the firefighters came and broke into the elevator.
- Just a big relief and happiness. The number is an 8 as I was still in residual shock.

She walked back home a little sad. Maybe claustrophobia was her fate and it'll stay with her for the rest of her life? Perhaps it's a part of her identity now? It may not be curable. Yet she always preferred to see a glass as half full. As such, things could have been even worse. She could have ended up working in the translation industry, like her friend Rose. At least she has a good job that can pay all these therapies and more. Also, she could see little shifts after two months of therapy now. As such, she no longer feels anxiety prior to entering the elevator, only somewhat while inside the elevator. 'Will have to work more on her visualization techniques, she thought as she was entering a grocery store to buy some minced meat and cheese for burgers...
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
Zibow Retailleau
Mervyn Henderson
Chris T

Hollandia
Tag (2010 óta)
angol - olasz
+ ...
Well done, everyone May 3

What a creative lot you are, dear colleagues!

No Zibow, it's not cheating, you had a friend called Bamboo, you can have a heroine called Daffodil.

Zibow Retailleau
Mervyn Henderson
Chris T
Lingua 5B
Rachel Fell
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Spanyolország
spanyol - angol
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
Five words May 3

Some fine stories there! I was much lazier, but then I make up for that here sometimes.

Is the five-word thing a typical writing workshop exercise, Lingua 5B? Although we all know that's not your real name ...

Bosznia-Hercegovina
angol - horvát
+ ...
Not sure it’s typical... May 3

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

Some fine stories there! I was much lazier, but then I make up for that here sometimes.

Is the five-word thing a typical writing workshop exercise, Lingua 5B? Although we all know that's not your real name ...

Probably also depends on genre. I was just experimenting a bit here, but they can go many different ways. You can also create your own exercise from scratch.

Mervyn Henderson

Spanyolország
spanyol - angol
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
D Day May 4

Today is D Day. Today is the day the madrileños (and madrileñas) vote for fascism or democracy. Today is the day over 4 million people vote to save their country, sorry, city, from either the fascists or the democrats.

OK, so I'd never get a stint in a publication apart from maybe Private Eye (but even PE told me to bog off), but this Madrid election thang has turned into a national curtain-raiser for a national thang.

Matthias Brombach
P.L.F. Persio
Zibow Retailleau

Hollandia
Tag (2010 óta)
angol - olasz
+ ...
Bleeding obvious, but worthy stating it again and again May 4

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

Today is D Day. Today is the day the madrileños (and madrileñas) vote for fascism or democracy. Today is the day over 4 million people vote to save their country, sorry, city, from either the fascists or the democrats.

OK, so I'd never get a stint in a publication apart from maybe Private Eye (but even PE told me to bog off), but this Madrid election thang has turned into a national curtain-raiser for a national thang.

As infuriating as democracy often is, it's always infinitely better than fascism, or any other kind of dictatorship.

And PE was wrong. Keep us posted, Mervyn.

Matthias Brombach
Zibow Retailleau

A témához tartozó oldalak:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

A fórum moderátora(i)
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Corona quarantine diary

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »