A témához tartozó oldalak:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95] >
Corona quarantine diary
Téma indítója: Mervyn Henderson

Mervyn Henderson  Identity Verified
Spanyolország
Local time: 20:07
spanyol - angol
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
Having your cake and eating it Apr 25

Portia, I see what you mean, but I quote myself again:

"I wish I could be back in their classes then, but with the head I have now."

I'd like to be back there, have a better idea of how to handle it, and realise how it's all going to pan out if I do such-and-such or don't do such-and-such.

P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Zibow Retailleau

P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Hollandia
Tag (2010 óta)
angol - olasz
+ ...
Mmh, cake .... Apr 25

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

"I wish I could be back in their classes then, but with the head I have now."

I'd like to be back there, have a better idea of how to handle it, and realise how it's all going to pan out if I do such-and-such or don't do such-and-such.

Si jeunesse savait, si vieillesse pouvait.

But what if it's something you can't handle in any freaking way, because you have absolutely neither say, nor power to do it? Can you "handle" your DNA? Can you handle your parents? Can you handle Nature? That bitch is always going to win, in the end, so it's a big, fat NO.

[Edited at 2021-04-25 09:57 GMT]

expressisverbis
Mervyn Henderson
Zibow Retailleau

expressisverbis
Portugália
Local time: 19:07
Tag (2015 óta)
angol - portugál
+ ...
It was not a good idea Apr 25

I'm sorry all for my comment.

Spanyolország
spanyol - angol
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
Good idea Apr 25

No need to be sorry, Sandra. Sorry about what? It's just a few opinions on people's childhoods, good or bad.

P.L.F. Persio
Zibow Retailleau
expressisverbis

Hollandia
Tag (2010 óta)
angol - olasz
+ ...
Good idea II Apr 25

expressisverbis wrote:

I'm sorry all for my comment.

Sandra, please, you don't have to be sorry for anything, there's nothing for which you need to apologise. It's just that this topic is very close to my heart, and I might feel too much passionately about it, that's all. And I'm aware of the fact that – more often than not – I may come across as rude and ill-mannered, even when I don't want to offend anyone.

The good thing is that, at least in my case, things did get better. Especially on this site, and in these last few months, I've met wonderful people from all over the world. It's so heart-warming to see how many different shades of excellence of hearts, minds, and souls this silly planet can host, and that life can indeed be beautiful.

Zibow Retailleau
expressisverbis
Mervyn Henderson
Chris T

expressisverbis
Portugália
Local time: 19:07
Tag (2015 óta)
angol - portugál
+ ...
Persio and Mervyn Apr 25

My dears
No, I didn't feel offended at all!
I was just apologising because unfortunately not all of us can have experienced a happy childhood.
Really, even today there are children who suffer and who are forced to become adults very quickly and this hurts.
In my case, there were good and bad moments in my childhood, just as we also have those moments in our adult life.

P.L.F. Persio
Zibow Retailleau
Mervyn Henderson

Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Németország
Tag (2007 óta)
holland - német
+ ...
A farmers kitchen in East Frisia and the Lerff sisters ... Apr 25

... are my memories that come into my mind when I think of my childhood as a 10 or 12-year-old boy, who often loved to hang around with the farmer boys in the village, to recover from the Lerff sisters, a gang of four brothers, who always occupied the best seats in the back of the overcrowded school bus every morning, torturing us younger boys with their ill minds and the heavy smoke of their cigarettes they dared to smoke in the bus, because they were out of sight of the rearview mirror of the ... See more
... are my memories that come into my mind when I think of my childhood as a 10 or 12-year-old boy, who often loved to hang around with the farmer boys in the village, to recover from the Lerff sisters, a gang of four brothers, who always occupied the best seats in the back of the overcrowded school bus every morning, torturing us younger boys with their ill minds and the heavy smoke of their cigarettes they dared to smoke in the bus, because they were out of sight of the rearview mirror of the bus driver, or the bus driver didn't care of their sadistic games, because he was related to their families or was a former farmworker, usually droving cattle, before they drove kids in school busses. But in the afternoons I often used to sit in the kitchen of the neighbour farmhouse, when it was tea time and the family of that friend came together to have not only one cup of Frisian Tea together but at least three. In the middle of the table, they had a bowl with fresh milk, covered by a thick layer of cream, for the tea, which was served with white rock sugar, and with the flies, that fell down into the cream. In that small kitchen they all sat and had a cigar (Opa, the grandfather, who was happy that he still had some cigars left in his box we already had found and tried outside on the fields), or already prepared lunch (Oma, the grandmother, who always was standing in front of the TV and blocking the sight to the test card), and Johann, the father, who sat there without his gumboots and had a nap, because he already had to step in his gumboots at 4 in the morning. My friend's mother meanwhile offered Krintstuut (currant loaf), that all the sisters were eating with their mouth opened, showing the healthiest teeth you can imagine. After that, we had to go to the fields to call in the cows because it was soon time to milk them. When I came home I did not have to tell my family where I spend my afternoon after school, because they could already smell it ...

I hope I could smooth the above discussion a bit with that memory. Today, that kitchen is a museum, there are only two farms left in that village, and the Lerff sisters finally must have been released from prison (or are inside again, it changes too often, I cannot tell it).

[Bearbeitet am 2021-04-25 11:52 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am 2021-04-25 15:36 GMT]
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson
Zibow Retailleau
expressisverbis
Chris T

Hollandia
Tag (2010 óta)
angol - olasz
+ ...
What a great image! Apr 25

Matthias Brombach wrote:

a bowl with fresh milk, covered by a thick layer of cream, for the tea, which was served with white rock sugar, and with the flies, that fell down into the cream.

Isn't life just like that? But the joke's on the flies: they're proteins, at the end of the day.

Was that white rock sugar extremely hard and unmeltable? I stopped putting sugar in my tea during my first visit to Russia in 1982. I don't know what was it that made it so impervious to boiling water and hammering. I wonder if other Countries had to fight the Sugar Wars.

Thank you, Matthias, that was a great read. I love reading your stories, dear colleagues, keep them coming, please!

Zibow Retailleau
expressisverbis
Mervyn Henderson
Matthias Brombach

Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Törökország
Local time: 21:07
ProZ.com-tag
angol - török
Childhood in lockdown Apr 25

I wonder what it's like to be a child nowadays... not so much fun I'd imagine, or maybe not... who knows...

Mervyn Henderson
expressisverbis

Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosznia-Hercegovina
angol - horvát
+ ...
Interesting reads and storytelling, well done. Apr 25

Maybe we can organize a weekly writing topic, eg. Monday through Sunday, for anyone who wants to contribute?

P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson

Bosznia-Hercegovina
angol - horvát
+ ...
Over here the little ones are not affected. Apr 25

Baran Keki wrote:

I wonder what it's like to be a child nowadays... not so much fun I'd imagine, or maybe not... who knows...

Kids up to the age of 9 play together normally (outdoors) in their neighbourhood. Now things like varied hobbies, birthdays, big gatherings etc. may be a little limited.

Mervyn Henderson
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

Adieu  Identity Verified
orosz - angol
Totally not a problem Apr 25

Baran Keki wrote:

Kids can adapt easily. Besides, they have been more interested in staring at screens than going outside for decades.

Anyone who summons up the "think of the children" boogeyman as an anti-lockdown argument is a liar and a crook repurposing an ancient political trick (which has traditionally been used for creating emotional reactions to populist falsehoods)

Maybe...just maybe... "pity the parents" would be an honest version. But no one in politics will say that.

PS I don't mean you when I say "liar and crook". I mean whatever talking head or nation politician threw that poison into the public discussion as another covid worry.

[Edited at 2021-04-25 14:43 GMT]

Baran Keki
P.L.F. Persio

Spanyolország
spanyol - angol
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
@Matthias Apr 25

East Frisia - a life! Or a start in life, at least. Fascinating read, especially those Frisian cows. I can just hear them mooing to be milked.

Matthias Brombach
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

Bosznia-Hercegovina
angol - horvát
+ ...
Experimental writing exercise. Apr 25

Let’s set up one such exercise to see how it goes. Whoever wants to participate, you’re welcome. If you don’t, you’re welcome again.

Topic: Your choice/ fiction, nonfiction or combined
Requirement: mentions of words “eyeglasses“ and “swimming pool“ at least once in your piece
Genre: Your choice (comedy, tragedy, parody, crime, anything)
Format: Your choice (poem, stage play, article, memoir, short story, anything)
Length/wordcount: Your choice
... See more
Let’s set up one such exercise to see how it goes. Whoever wants to participate, you’re welcome. If you don’t, you’re welcome again.

Topic: Your choice/ fiction, nonfiction or combined
Requirement: mentions of words “eyeglasses“ and “swimming pool“ at least once in your piece
Genre: Your choice (comedy, tragedy, parody, crime, anything)
Format: Your choice (poem, stage play, article, memoir, short story, anything)
Length/wordcount: Your choice
When: From April 25th until Sunday May 2nd
Where: Simply post it on this topic

The topic runs normally aside from this exercise of course with chit-chat and other posts.

If we decide to continue with this after May the 2nd, then a new person sets up an exercise (always a different person). Hope to see your contributions.
Collapse

Zibow Retailleau
P.L.F. Persio

Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Németország
Tag (2007 óta)
holland - német
+ ...
Thanks, and I still ... Apr 25

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

East Frisia - a life! Or a start in life, at least. Fascinating read, especially those Frisian cows. I can just hear them mooing to be milked.

... can smell them: Last time it was at the locks of the Kiel Canal, where I had a nose of it and I wondered why. The answer was a livestock carrier, waiting for his turn to be released from the northern lock on its way to Russia. And its trail of black smoke turned out to be a cloud full of flies. Fortunately, I had my windows closed before we left home.

Mervyn Henderson
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

A témához tartozó oldalak:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

A fórum moderátora(i)
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Corona quarantine diary

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »