A témához tartozó oldalak:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87] >
Corona quarantine diary
Téma indítója: Mervyn Henderson

Chris S  Identity Verified
Egyesült Királyság
svéd - angol
+ ...
Dammit, I'm going to have to counter this one point by point Mar 26

Gerard Barry wrote:
So no worries at all then?

Well, I'm still here...

Ffs, Gerard, it's only a flu vaccine. Are you never going to cross a road again?

And I do hope you're not a smoker or recreational drug user, or ever pop an ibuprofen.

Chris S wrote:
Maybe they are having it so they don’t spread it to the old and infirm? Unselfish bastards that they are.

Well, seeing as almost all of the older people are taking the vaccine themselves, that argument hardly holds up.

Um, how does it not hold up? The vaccine is not 100% effective so of course they still need protecting.

So you really have no worries at all about taking a vaccine that has been developed at record-breaking speed

Not now hundreds of millions of old and infirm guinea pigs have already had it without any problems.

Why do you think it will harm a younger person like you?

and you find the whole "take the vaccine and you'll get your freedoms back" deal completely acceptable?

It's better than not taking it and not getting them back.

Shame you don't live in God's Country. No travel restrictions here from tomorrow. Zero coronavirus in my area. Why? Because we've made a few relatively minor sacrifices for the greater good.

As regards older people: I thought the likes of you despised older British people for having the temerity to vote for Brexit?

The likes of me? What am I like? A person who wishes a painful death on people I disagree with? Blimey, Gerard, you need to watch your back...

Mervyn Henderson
Matthias Brombach
P.L.F.Persio
expressisverbis
Zibow Retailleau

Mervyn Henderson  Identity Verified
Spanyolország
Local time: 07:07
spanyol - angol
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
Hi Gerard Mar 26

Good to see you back again.

[Edited at 2021-03-26 13:58 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-03-26 13:59 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-03-26 14:07 GMT]

Matthias Brombach
P.L.F.Persio
expressisverbis
Zibow Retailleau

Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Németország
Tag (2007 óta)
holland - német
+ ...
You may then ... Mar 26

Gerard Barry wrote: The Querdenker are freedom-loving people who are worried about the restrictions of people's freedoms in response to the coronavirus and I will not have you calling us "Nazis" on a public forum like this.

... call the Police or make an announcement online at the Police, that I called your movement a movement of Nazis, who aren't ashamed to compare themselves in the public** with resistance fighters like Sophie Scholl*. Am I on your list now for the time after the national revolution?

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sophie_Scholl
** https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-german-foreign-minister-slams-covid-protesters-nazi-resistance-comparison/a-55692332

[Bearbeitet am 2021-03-26 14:01 GMT]

P.L.F.Persio
Mervyn Henderson
Chris S
expressisverbis

Spanyolország
spanyol - angol
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
Poor "Jana from Kassel"! Mar 26

She never even got her 5 minutes of fame, never mind 15. But very nice boots there. Those boots were made for walking, and that's just what they did. Walked off stage in a huff.

And a lot of note-checking there, too, by young Jana. Is she checking her own name in those notes before she says it? Or is she checking them to get Sophie Scholl's name right?

And ... are those Scholl boots she's wearing? Is that the connection? Is all this a boots thing? I'm only guessing.... See more
She never even got her 5 minutes of fame, never mind 15. But very nice boots there. Those boots were made for walking, and that's just what they did. Walked off stage in a huff.

And a lot of note-checking there, too, by young Jana. Is she checking her own name in those notes before she says it? Or is she checking them to get Sophie Scholl's name right?

And ... are those Scholl boots she's wearing? Is that the connection? Is all this a boots thing? I'm only guessing.

[Edited at 2021-03-26 18:47 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-03-26 18:55 GMT]
Collapse

P.L.F.Persio
Chris S
Matthias Brombach
Zibow Retailleau
expressisverbis

Gerard Barry
Németország
német - angol
Insult laws and mainstream media framing Mar 26

Matthias Brombach wrote:

Gerard Barry wrote: The Querdenker are freedom-loving people who are worried about the restrictions of people's freedoms in response to the coronavirus and I will not have you calling us "Nazis" on a public forum like this.

... call the Police or make an announcement online at the Police, that I called your movement a movement of Nazis, who aren't ashamed to compare themselves in the public** with resistance fighters like Sophie Scholl*. Am I on your list now for the time after the national revolution?

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sophie_Scholl
** https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-german-foreign-minister-slams-covid-protesters-nazi-resistance-comparison/a-55692332

[Bearbeitet am 2021-03-26 14:01 GMT]

I would never go to the police and make a complaint about someone insulting me. I was shocked when I found out that insult was actually an offence in Germany! I think laws like that speak volumes for the illiberal mindset of the Germans. So much for Germany being a free society.

As for the Sophie Scholl comparison: I always find it amazing how people nowadays seem to get their views (as opposed to just the news) from the mainstream media. Nobody would have ever heard of Jana from Kassel if the media hadn't pounced on her statement and made a mountain out of a molehill. The comparison with Sophie Scholl might have been over the top but it was hardly the end of the world! Ever hear of freedom of speech? In any case, if you can call the Querdenker Nazis (another ridiculous comparison, and defamatory to boot), why can't Jana from Kassel compare herself to Sophie Scholl? The fact is, the Querdenker are an object of hatred in Germany today (as your posts prove). The German state mightn't be locking us up and sentencing us to death yet but who knows what the future might bring? You can never trust the Germans!

Spanyolország
spanyol - angol
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
Docuseries: "Some of them want to abuse you - some of them want to be abused" Mar 28

and ...

"Some of them want to use you - some of them want to get used by you"

Sounds kind of whips and masks SM, doesn't it? But it's just a few lines from a famous song ...

Anyway, Spain is all agog at the moment with use and abuse, but mostly the abuse part. The daughter of famous but dead singer Rocío Jurado, Rociíto, whom I've mentioned before on this thread, has got the nation a-gossiping like never before in a new docuseries on Spanish TV's m
... See more
and ...

"Some of them want to use you - some of them want to get used by you"

Sounds kind of whips and masks SM, doesn't it? But it's just a few lines from a famous song ...

Anyway, Spain is all agog at the moment with use and abuse, but mostly the abuse part. The daughter of famous but dead singer Rocío Jurado, Rociíto, whom I've mentioned before on this thread, has got the nation a-gossiping like never before in a new docuseries on Spanish TV's most sensationalist talk show. More like screech show, but you know what I mean.

Did you see the "docuseries" above? So you don't know what a docuseries is. Don't worry, because neither does anybody else. In a tearful Part I of the docuthing, Rociíto has been telling "her truth" of abuse during her marriage at the hands of her former beau Antonio David, who coincidentally is one of the screechers on the channel, and has spent the last 20-odd years telling us how crazy she was, and how, thank God, the kids were with him (when he was off TV, which wasn't often). The kids, or at least one of them, called Rocío (yes, I know, but this is Rocío The Littlest, although she's going a bit like grandma Rocío, to be honest), are with him on this, and mother and daughter are estranged.

Now, although just about everyone believes her, including myself, she hasn't actually come up with any evidence. This did not, however, prevent the Ministeress for Equality, known for her feminist views, from quoting Rocío Carrasco the other day as an example to all women. Work that one out from an outspoken pinko who would ordinarily be the first to cry "innocent until proven guilty".

But there's more. Rocío's tale has now brought other women to tell their own tale, "some women who did not even realise they had been abused until they watched the docuseries", and - even more amazingly - "some men who have now realised they were abusers". Wot?

Now, how do those two scenarios work out? I'll get back to you on this ...

NOTE: I should add I AM NOT taking the extremely serious issue of abuse lightly here, but the way it's being addressed on Telecinco here that is simply stupifying. But then, that's the Telecinco leitmotiv - to stupify the stupifiable masses.
Collapse

Zibow Retailleau
expressisverbis

P.L.F.Persio  Identity Verified
Hollandia
Tag (2010 óta)
angol - olasz
+ ...
Well ... Mar 28

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

NOTE: I should add I AM NOT taking the extremely serious issue of abuse lightly here, but the way it's being addressed on Telecinco here that is simply stupifying. But then, that's the Telecinco leitmotiv - to stupify the stupifiable masses.

They are owned by Mediaset, what do you expect? It's definitely not the BBC.

Mervyn Henderson
Zibow Retailleau
expressisverbis

Spanyolország
spanyol - angol
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
Mediaset Mar 28

Certainly true. Silvio and Co.

P.L.F.Persio
expressisverbis

Spanyolország
spanyol - angol
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
Oops Mar 28

Oops

[Edited at 2021-03-28 09:41 GMT]

Zibow Retailleau  Identity Verified
Mauritius
Local time: 09:07
angol - kínai
+ ...
No, sweet dreams are not made of this. Mar 28

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

But there's more. Rocío's tale has now brought other women to tell their own tale, "some women who did not even realise they had been abused until they watched the docuseries"

This may sound hard to believe but in some cases the woman really isn't aware of the situation. Li Yang, a Chinese English teacher and the creator of Crazy English, which is an English learning method, was married to an American woman, Kim Lee. Lee went through domestic violence in the marriage. She once went to the police. The policeman's first question was: why did he beat you? Other family members told her not to make a fuss. At some point, she thought this was the cultural differences. Luckily, in the end she came to her senses and filed for divorce.

As for Li, to quote one of my English teachers, 'There is no English, only Crazy.'

P.L.F.Persio
Mervyn Henderson
expressisverbis

Spanyolország
spanyol - angol
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
Make a fuss Mar 28

So not only do some people get advised by their nearest and dearest not to make a fuss, but further down the line they have to explain why somebody's given them a kicking. Not many incentives for reporting a misunderstanding due to a few "cultural differences", are there?

P.L.F.Persio
Zibow Retailleau
expressisverbis

Spanyolország
spanyol - angol
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
Finally a Final Mar 29

The kick-off at next week's derby Copa del Rey final between Athletic Bilbao and San Sebastián's Real Sociedad has been put back 15 minutes on 3 April by the footie federation, apparently because they want to put on some kind of little ceremony beforehand. Not that 15 minutes matter too much, because it's been quite a wait already for the 2020 Final, postponed and delayed for a year due to our friend the v¡rus. Maybe the little ceremony is something to do with that, in fact.

So th
... See more
The kick-off at next week's derby Copa del Rey final between Athletic Bilbao and San Sebastián's Real Sociedad has been put back 15 minutes on 3 April by the footie federation, apparently because they want to put on some kind of little ceremony beforehand. Not that 15 minutes matter too much, because it's been quite a wait already for the 2020 Final, postponed and delayed for a year due to our friend the v¡rus. Maybe the little ceremony is something to do with that, in fact.

So that's something to look forward to. And backward to, I suppose, at the same time. As usual, the city is filling up with red and white everywhere (and blue and white around San Sebastián, presumably) on people's balconies, inside and outside bars, and red and white jumps out at you even from the newspaper. There's a newspaper option to buy a jolly plastic red and white trumpet, too, so there'll be thousands and thousands of trumpets parping from the balconies all day long next Friday, and maybe even all Easter Week long. Can't wait.
Collapse

Zibow Retailleau
P.L.F.Persio
expressisverbis

Spanyolország
spanyol - angol
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
Fiesta for foreigners Mar 29

Amid movement restrictions varying from region to region, many people who aren't even allowed to travel to the next village look on enviously as tourists arrive by plane and can do whatever they like. The nerve of these people! And the favourite targets are the French, who are arriving in droves for a few days' rest from restrictions up north, now that France closes down at 6 pm. Which really isn't much different from before, or it used to be that way anyway - my experience was always that if yo... See more
Amid movement restrictions varying from region to region, many people who aren't even allowed to travel to the next village look on enviously as tourists arrive by plane and can do whatever they like. The nerve of these people! And the favourite targets are the French, who are arriving in droves for a few days' rest from restrictions up north, now that France closes down at 6 pm. Which really isn't much different from before, or it used to be that way anyway - my experience was always that if you walked or drove around just about any French town around 7 or 8 in the evening, there was nothing much going on or anybody about, apart from those moustachioed blokes in the berets and striped Breton pullovers cycling about with strings of onions around their necks, of course.

Amid accusations that they were selling the city solely as an Easter piss-up venue, pandering to pressure from bar and restaurant owners and endangering the local population further with risk of contagion from beyond Spain, the authorities in Madrid said Oh no, look, the museums and art galleries are open too, and they also point out that they only get into the country after screening.

But, when you see the cut of the mostly young visitors, and hear them ooh-là-làing in TV interviews about why they've come, you know it's sangría they're thirsting for, not culture. Sun, sangría, sea, depending on where you are, although the sex factor may be out these days. Or is it? The police are still busy interrupting private parties in flats, tourist apartments and bars, with nary a mask to be seen, and let's face it, social distancing doesn't sit well amid slow-dancing, smooching and snogging.

What do people do these days for chat-ups, anyway? Do they have to present each other with health certificates first? Sounds like a right pain. I'm glad I don't have to do it any more. Not that I ever did, actually:

Women would cut me off before I'd even got started, see. They were never interested in what I had to say, sadly. The power of words had no effect on them. No, they took one look at a sizzling athletic body oozing sex from every pore, and irresistible, mesmerising, drop-dead gorgeous features, and just made a grab, with no need for any oral foreplay. During the initial vertical encounter, at any rate.

I had to put an end to it, though. I told myself, I said, "Lad, what's the point? It's too easy. Far too easy. Yes, what you've got to do is ditch this mate of yours, and stop going out on the pull with him, because he's snapping up all the tottie and you're left at the bar studying your nails."

[Edited at 2021-03-29 11:18 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-03-29 11:23 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-03-29 13:19 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-03-29 16:29 GMT]
Collapse

P.L.F.Persio
Chris S
Zibow Retailleau
expressisverbis

Chris S  Identity Verified
Egyesült Királyság
svéd - angol
+ ...
The new normal is the old normal Mar 29

Mervyn Henderson wrote:
What do people do these days for chat-ups, anyway? Do they have to present each other with health certificates first? Sounds like a right pain. I'm glad I don't have to do it any more. Not that I ever did, actually:

Women would cut me off before I'd even got started, you see. They were never interested in what I had to say, sadly. The power of words had no effect on them. No, they took one look at a powerful, athletic body oozing sex from every pore, and irresistible, mesmerising, drop-dead gorgeous features, and just made a grab, with no need for any oral foreplay. During the initial vertical encounter, at any rate.

I had to put an end to it, though. I told myself, I said, "Lad, what's the point? It's too easy. Far too easy. Yes, what you've got to do is ditch this mate of yours, and stop going out on the pull with him, because he's snapping up all the tottie and you're left at the bar studying your nails."

But I didn’t even know you then🤷‍♂️

I couldn’t possibly say anything about this myself, of course, but based on a friend’s experience, it’s the same approach as with other forms of intercourse: you honestly believe that your chosen partner is far too nice to be infected with anything and so take no precautions whatsoever.

Mervyn Henderson
Zibow Retailleau
P.L.F.Persio
expressisverbis

Spanyolország
spanyol - angol
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
Ringing the changes Mar 30

I used to be with Basque phone operator Euskaltel. Except it turns out it might not be as Basque as we'd all thought (see below). I had a really serious problem once, they didn't respond, so I changed. Almost since that very moment I've been getting calls from them with offers, especially in the last year or so. Sometimes on two or three consecutive days. Some more aggressive than others. When you say after the first few seconds "Thanks, but I'm not interested", some callers thank you for your t... See more
I used to be with Basque phone operator Euskaltel. Except it turns out it might not be as Basque as we'd all thought (see below). I had a really serious problem once, they didn't respond, so I changed. Almost since that very moment I've been getting calls from them with offers, especially in the last year or so. Sometimes on two or three consecutive days. Some more aggressive than others. When you say after the first few seconds "Thanks, but I'm not interested", some callers thank you for your time and leave it at that. But others, as I'm sure you know, say the likes of "But how can you say you're not interested if you don't even know what I'm offering you?" Which seems to be a ploy dictated by policy, but I can tell them for free, with no PowerPoint presentation to explain why, that it doesn't work, and in fact has the opposite effect.

Euskaltel adverts are all around you here, too, orange logo everywhere on buses, bus stops, street posters, newspapers and don't even start about Basque TV.

Yes, I've heard of the Robinson List, as one caller suggested. I had asked them to do something as simple, in this age of technology and know-how, as putting my number on a don't-call list, and maybe calling me every year or so instead, but he said No, there was nothing like that. But I just don't see why the onus should be on the annoyee to do something about it, when it would be so easy and more logical for the annoyer to do it instead.

So I e-mailed them, telling them very politely that the reason I left them was for zero attention in the past, and that constant unwanted attention now was unlikely to bring me back. They replied after about a week, saying that they were resending to Administrative Management. They then added that I should not forget, "as an Euskaltel customer", I was entitled to such-and-such and such-and-such. So much for actually reading my e-mail. After another week, I received an apology from Customer Service (???), telling me that they would stop. But it might take up to a month (why??).

All that's academic anyway, because the big news now is that Basque telecommunications icon Euskaltel is about to be absorbed by Más Móvil, the CEO of which is one Meinrad Spenger.

Notice anything there?

Yes, Meinrad's not a local boy. He's Austrian, in fact, so the Basques are up in arms about a local company "losing its sense of identity" to Johnny Foreigner. Herr Spenger points out that his outfit is registered in San Sebastián. But that's rather easy to do, isn't it? You can register anywhere. Facebook, among others, pays its taxes to Dublin, but does that make Mark Zuckerberg a Paddy? And does anybody think of Facebook as an Irish company?

But even the Basque identity thing has been pooh-poohed by Euskaltel CEO, who said the other day, "What's all this about Euskaltel being Basque anyway? Our registered office is in Madrid." Oh, nobody had noticed that one. So that fixes everything nicely. Although it's strange that one day an Austrian comes along to make it a Basque company, whereas the Basques apparently never did.

And now I can look forward to Más Móvil ringing me every day with its offers for the next ten years and, when I demur, they can say, "Oh, this isn't Euskaltel any more, no, this is a totally different outfit now." Right. Different outfit, same shit.

[Edited at 2021-03-30 06:19 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-03-30 06:59 GMT]
Collapse

P.L.F.Persio
Chris S
Matthias Brombach
expressisverbis

A témához tartozó oldalak:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

A fórum moderátora(i)
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Corona quarantine diary

Advanced search

SDL Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within SDL Trados Studio

SDL Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Terminológiai keresés
  • Munkák
  • Fórumok
  • Multiple search