A témához tartozó oldalak:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74] >
Corona quarantine diary
Téma indítója: Mervyn Henderson

Mervyn Henderson  Identity Verified
Spanyolország
Local time: 05:48
spanyol - angol
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
Squealing neighbours Feb 6

Or neighbour's guests squealing, rather. The squealing that must go on next door to Chris when Tom Silver Fox puts the squeal on one of his squealing fans, picked out at random from among the squealing pantieless whordes who populate his pantie-strewn lawn night after night in the hope of a quick squeal with TJ. Or a long squeal. Or any kind of squeal, really. With a few screeches and moans. And the privilege of being sent out to get a couple of lattes and a packet of Rizlas afterwards.

[
... See more
Or neighbour's guests squealing, rather. The squealing that must go on next door to Chris when Tom Silver Fox puts the squeal on one of his squealing fans, picked out at random from among the squealing pantieless whordes who populate his pantie-strewn lawn night after night in the hope of a quick squeal with TJ. Or a long squeal. Or any kind of squeal, really. With a few screeches and moans. And the privilege of being sent out to get a couple of lattes and a packet of Rizlas afterwards.

[Edited at 2021-02-06 14:42 GMT]
Collapse

Zibow Retailleau
Chris S

Spanyolország
spanyol - angol
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
@Chris Feb 7

The correct term is a spit of alpacas, and there's a reason for that. If you don't believe me, go up to one of them and say Good morning, Mr Al Paca, and use up half a box of Kleenex afterwards wiping its sticky viscous gunk off your face. Ahem.

[Edited at 2021-02-07 08:10 GMT]

Chris S

Chris S  Identity Verified
Egyesült Királyság
svéd - angol
+ ...
Saintly Feb 7

Not a lot of people know this, but it was Sylvia who came up with the name for the hit butter-like product “I can’t believe it’s not butter”.

She did a double take one day and the words just popped out.

Unilever lapped it up, and before you know it UK supermarkets were awash with it.

Anyway, I can see you getting quite a bit of mileage out of Al Paca, Mervyn.

Mervyn Henderson

Spanyolország
spanyol - angol
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
Sylvia Feb 7

Obviously I cannot possibly know, Chris, that you mean my earlier reference to a certain Sylvia Saint, now deleted in the name of common decency, but I must admit I had no idea that the fair Sylvia was associated with butter. Although the very word "butter" gives us an idea about what the delectable anything-but-saintly Ms Saint was about. For me, Sylvia will always be associated with the letters K and Y.

[Edited at 2021-02-07 09:44 GMT]

Chris S

Gerard Barry
Németország
német - angol
Are the corona restrictions justified? Feb 8

Reading through some of the posts on this thread, I'm struck by the fact that no one is criticising the corona rules themselves (quarantine, travel restrictions, compulsory closure of businesses, etc.). Am I the only one who finds these and other regulations an intolerable infringement of our civil liberties, not to mention an outrageous assault on the economy (in particular small and medium-sized business in sectors like hospitality. Has the world gone mad in response to corona?

Sarah McDowell
Rachel Fell

Spanyolország
spanyol - angol
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
Easter Feb 8

Now that Christmas and New Year are over, people are starting to ask about Easter. Will we be on the streets again by the beginning of April (Easter Day is 3 April)? Some people think we will, because of all those vaccines streaming into our veins (well, not mine yet, as I suppose I'm way down the list of priorities, after healthcare workers, the elderly and queue-jumpers various), but others are prophesying a kind of virus Armageddon.

On a chat show the other night - well, more li
... See more
Now that Christmas and New Year are over, people are starting to ask about Easter. Will we be on the streets again by the beginning of April (Easter Day is 3 April)? Some people think we will, because of all those vaccines streaming into our veins (well, not mine yet, as I suppose I'm way down the list of priorities, after healthcare workers, the elderly and queue-jumpers various), but others are prophesying a kind of virus Armageddon.

On a chat show the other night - well, more like a drone show, really - one "expert" talked of 500 million people who would be murdered by the virus (and he said "murdered", not just that they would die). The chat show host apologised later for a mistake in the figure. One zero too many, he said. It was really only 50 million people who would be murdered. Phew. That's a relief. All that worry for nothing.
Collapse

Chris S
P.L.F.Persio
Zibow Retailleau
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Spanyolország
spanyol - angol
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
Relaxation Feb 8

Nobody likes the rules, but here they've relaxed them somewhat two or three times now, and the result is always mass infection. If those vaccines don't have any effect, it's either the economy or people's health, and nobody seems to be able to fix up any kind of compromise.

P.L.F.Persio
Zibow Retailleau
Matthias Brombach
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Gerard Barry
Németország
német - angol
I see Feb 8

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

Nobody likes the rules, but here they've relaxed them somewhat two or three times now, and the result is always mass infection. If those vaccines don't have any effect, it's either the economy or people's health, and nobody seems to be able to fix up any kind of compromise.

So to hell with civil liberties, the economy, children's education and everything else. Got it!

Mervyn Henderson

Egyesült Királyság
svéd - angol
+ ...
@Gerard Feb 8

Gerard Barry wrote:
Reading through some of the posts on this thread, I'm struck by the fact that no one is criticising the corona rules themselves (quarantine, travel restrictions, compulsory closure of businesses, etc.). Am I the only one who finds these and other regulations an intolerable infringement of our civil liberties, not to mention an outrageous assault on the economy (in particular small and medium-sized business in sectors like hospitality. Has the world gone mad in response to corona?

To some extent it seemed that way to me at the beginning of this thread. But when you consider just how many excess deaths there have been WITH all these restrictions, it's hard to see what else we could have done.

Via another forum I get to hear the latest from a scientist near the top of the UK advisory pyramid who shares one of my interests and is therefore 100% trustworthy. Seriously, though, he's very balanced and credible. The problem now is not so much deaths as survivors overfilling the hospitals. We can't really chuck them out. The vaccine should help keep people out of hospital in the first place. It will not mean an end to transmission. We need to keep most restrictions for some time yet. And really they should have been much tighter and come much earlier. Is the main message I'm getting.

It is desperately hard for some financially and mentally I know, but it's better than dying after a week of struggling to breathe.

P.L.F.Persio
Mervyn Henderson
Zibow Retailleau
Christel Zipfel
Kevin Fulton
Matthias Brombach
Jan Truper

Gerard Barry
Németország
német - angol
That's worrying Feb 8

Chris S wrote:

The vaccine should help keep people out of hospital in the first place. It will not mean an end to transmission. We need to keep most restrictions for some time yet. And really they should have been much tighter and come much earlier. Is the main message I'm getting.

If the vaccine doesn't mean an end to transmission, then I'm curious (or should I say terrified) as to how long the current restrictions will be in place for? It's already been a year since this nonsense started! And you're saying the restrictions should have been even tighter? How would that even be possible (never mind fair or reasonable)?

I'm opposed to most of the restrictions as I think they're shockingly authoritarian. And it frightens me how easy it is for governments to take away our freedoms and everyone just goes along with it. Worse still, they're clamping down on dissent too (at least here in Germany). I'm scared, but not of corona!

Spanyolország
spanyol - angol
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
Clamping down on dissent Feb 8

What kind of a clampdown? Aren't you allowed to dissent?

Zibow Retailleau
Matthias Brombach
P.L.F.Persio
Christel Zipfel
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Egyesült Királyság
svéd - angol
+ ...
Why Feb 8

Gerard Barry wrote:

If the vaccine doesn't mean an end to transmission, then I'm curious (or should I say terrified) as to how long the current restrictions will be in place for? It's already been a year since this nonsense started! And you're saying the restrictions should have been even tighter? How would that even be possible (never mind fair or reasonable)?

I'm opposed to most of the restrictions as I think they're shockingly authoritarian. And it frightens me how easy it is for governments to take away our freedoms and everyone just goes along with it. Worse still, they're clamping down on dissent too (at least here in Germany). I'm scared, but not of corona!

Well if the hospitals are chock full of COVID patients, what happens when you young people get hit by a bus or need an operation? And is everyone over 70 or overweight really disposable?

You have to ask why they are taking away our freedoms. What have our governments got to gain from tanking the economy?

Bottom line is governments are being way more lax than the science would dictate.

Not to put too fine a point on it, I’ve pulled on Tinder and I am desperate to jump into bed with the lady in question but I just have to accept that if I break the rules to get laid then maybe a whole load of other people will end up fucked too.

Matthias Brombach
P.L.F.Persio
Zibow Retailleau
Jan Truper
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Németország
Tag (2007 óta)
holland - német
+ ...
How exactly? Feb 9

Gerard Barry wrote:

Worse still, they're clamping down on dissent too (at least here in Germany). I'm scared, but not of corona!

You may have a good point, my neighbours say.

Mervyn Henderson
P.L.F.Persio
Gerard Barry
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Gerard Barry
Németország
német - angol
Querdenken Feb 9

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

What kind of a clampdown? Aren't you allowed to dissent?

There's a movement in Germany against the restrictions called "Querdenken". It translates as "lateral thinking". The government and media are shamelessly defaming them as being extremists, "right-wing radicals" and so on when they're nothing of the sort. A few weeks ago, I heard that the German government was considering placing them under observation by the "Verfassungsschutz" (Federal Office for the Protection of the Constitution).This is a peaceful organisation that is being targeted by the government for no other reason than the fact that they are critical of the government. That's very worrying.

[Edited at 2021-02-09 10:07 GMT]

Maciek Drobka

Gerard Barry
Németország
német - angol
"The Science" Feb 9

Chris S wrote:

Bottom line is governments are being way more lax than the science would dictate.

There is no such thing as "the science", Chris. Scientists disagree with each other all the time and there are plenty of very imminent scientists who are opposed to the lockdown (e.g. the initiators/signers of the Great Barrington Declaration). And even if all scientists were on the same page about corona (which they're not), I for one don't want to live in a "brave new world" where scientists (especially ones with close ties to governments and big pharma) tell me what I can or cannot do.

And I ask the question again: how are governments being too "lax" regarding corona restrictions? People's lives are already severely curtailed as it is. What other restrictions are even possible?

Maciek Drobka

A témához tartozó oldalak:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

A fórum moderátora(i)
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Corona quarantine diary

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Terminológiai keresés
  • Munkák
  • Fórumok
  • Multiple search