Maria Ortwein
Maria Ortwein  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:31
Polish to German
+ ...
Feb 19, 2020

Dear colleagues,

I am changing from Windows to Mac these days and I read a lot of good reviews about CafeTran which is why I would like to use it on my Mac OSX Lion 10.8.5 (2010). So, I already downloaded the actual CafeTran version from their page and tried to run it following the steps from the video on their page. Unfortunately, it does not run
Do you have any idea on how to solve this problem?
Thanks f
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I am changing from Windows to Mac these days and I read a lot of good reviews about CafeTran which is why I would like to use it on my Mac OSX Lion 10.8.5 (2010). So, I already downloaded the actual CafeTran version from their page and tried to run it following the steps from the video on their page. Unfortunately, it does not run
Do you have any idea on how to solve this problem?
Thanks for your help!
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Lion Feb 19, 2020

Doesn’t your Mac support a more recent version of the operating system?

Maria Ortwein
Germany
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I didn't try so far. Feb 19, 2020

It might, but I was wondering whether there was something else I could do before updating the system. The program icon appears normally, it seems like the mac does support it, but when I try to run the program, it doesn't open.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:31
Member (2008)
Italian to English
What model of Mac? Feb 19, 2020

What model of Mac are you using?

To find out, go to the Apple menu at the top left of your menu bar and open "about this Mac"

Then come back here and tell us.

[Edited at 2020-02-19 19:44 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Deleted (double posting) Feb 19, 2020

[Edited at 2020-02-19 19:43 GMT]

Maria Ortwein
Germany
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Mac OS X 10.8.5 Feb 19, 2020

Thanks Hans and Tom,
it says it's a Mac OS X 10.8.5.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Model Feb 19, 2020

Maria Ortwein wrote:

Thanks Hans and Tom,
it says it's a Mac OS X 10.8.5.

It should also say what model of computer it is. Can you look at that as well please?

Maria Ortwein
Germany
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm afraid that's all the information I got :/ Feb 19, 2020

Hi Tom,
I'm afraid that's all the information I got, I took a picture of the screen that appears when I click on "about this Mac":

IMG_20200219_171937

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
OK Feb 19, 2020

OK try clicking on "más información" - the actual model of your computer is probably there.

[Edited at 2020-02-19 23:03 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Your Mac has to be upgraded Feb 20, 2020

4 GB of RAM is probably not enough when working with CafeTran, especially not when your Mac has a hard disk (instead of a faster SSD).

First step would be to upgrade to a newer version of the operating system: one that supports the Java that is embedded in the CafeTran app.

Depending on the model and age, you might consider to upgrade to 8 GB RAM and possibly an SSD drive. This all can be quite expensive.

Your local Mac dealer can tell you more about the
... See more
4 GB of RAM is probably not enough when working with CafeTran, especially not when your Mac has a hard disk (instead of a faster SSD).

First step would be to upgrade to a newer version of the operating system: one that supports the Java that is embedded in the CafeTran app.

Depending on the model and age, you might consider to upgrade to 8 GB RAM and possibly an SSD drive. This all can be quite expensive.

Your local Mac dealer can tell you more about the costs and feasibility. They can also inform you whether it is a good decision to invest in your Mac.

Ideally, you would try to get a money back guarantee, since I’m not sure that your processor is fast enough to enjoy CafeTran.

I’m sorry for bringing the bad news ...

BTW: 10.8.5 is Mountain Lion, which is the successor of Lion.
Collapse

Tom in London

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
RAM and HD Feb 20, 2020

I agree with Hans about the RAM and the storage (HD). You are running a very old computer that should be upgraded. Ideally you should install the maximum possible amount of RAM that your computer can take. At least 8 GB and preferably 16 GB or more.

The big advantage you have with your computer is that unlike recent Macs, it probably *is* upgradeable.

To give you an idea of what would be possible on your computer, try running this little programme which will analyse wha
... See more
I agree with Hans about the RAM and the storage (HD). You are running a very old computer that should be upgraded. Ideally you should install the maximum possible amount of RAM that your computer can take. At least 8 GB and preferably 16 GB or more.

The big advantage you have with your computer is that unlike recent Macs, it probably *is* upgradeable.

To give you an idea of what would be possible on your computer, try running this little programme which will analyse what you've got, what you could have, and how much it would cost you from Crucial - a very reliable supplier and much cheaper than Apple.

CORRECTED LINK : https://www.crucial.de/

You can then order what you need from Crucial.

If you don't know how/don't want to install RAM and/or a new hard drive by yourself, I'm sure you can easily find an authorised Apple workshop nearby who will do it for you.

[Edited at 2020-02-20 09:40 GMT]
Collapse

Hans Lenting

Maria Ortwein
Germany
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What a Shane - aré there maybe earlier versions available? of Feb 20, 2020

Hi Hans, Hi Tom,

first of all, thanks a lot for taking the time in order to help me solve this problem, I appreciate that!

As to the mac - well, that's really sad news! Anyways, it was a present. I am wondering whether it is possible to get an earlier version of CafeTran so that it runs on this mac - do you think this is possible?

Thank you and kind regards!

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Get some RAM Feb 20, 2020

Maria Ortwein wrote:

Hi Hans, Hi Tom,

first of all, thanks a lot for taking the time in order to help me solve this problem, I appreciate that!

As to the mac - well, that's really sad news! Anyways, it was a present. I am wondering whether it is possible to get an earlier version of CafeTran so that it runs on this mac - do you think this is possible?

Thank you and kind regards!

Just get some RAM !

Maria Ortwein
Germany
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OK. Thank you. Feb 20, 2020

OK.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
First Step Feb 21, 2020

Your first step might be to upgrade to the newest version of the operating system that is compatible with your Mac. This won’t cost you any money. Then try to run CafeTran again.

You can find the model of your Mac by entering the serial number here: https://checkcoverage.apple.com/de/de/

If you report the model here, we can help you to find the OS version that is compat
... See more
Your first step might be to upgrade to the newest version of the operating system that is compatible with your Mac. This won’t cost you any money. Then try to run CafeTran again.

You can find the model of your Mac by entering the serial number here: https://checkcoverage.apple.com/de/de/

If you report the model here, we can help you to find the OS version that is compatible with your Mac.

[Edited at 2020-02-21 07:07 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CafeTran does not run on my Mac Lion 10.8.5

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »