Translated a sdlppx file with CafeTran, now need a monolingual .docx target?
Thread poster: BabelOn-line
BabelOn-line
BabelOn-line
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:09
English to French
+ ...
Dec 24, 2018

Hello all CT users,

For the record, I am very much a newbie with CT.

I have finished translating a file that was supplied to me as a .sdlppx and as a .docx.

Translating the sdlppx with CT went fine, I can now export my translation as a .sdlprx or as a bilingual Word file.

I'd like to add a few comments to the translated, monolingual Word file in order to return to the agency.

I am however not sure how I can create his monoli
... See more
Hello all CT users,

For the record, I am very much a newbie with CT.

I have finished translating a file that was supplied to me as a .sdlppx and as a .docx.

Translating the sdlppx with CT went fine, I can now export my translation as a .sdlprx or as a bilingual Word file.

I'd like to add a few comments to the translated, monolingual Word file in order to return to the agency.

I am however not sure how I can create his monolingual Word target using the existing source .docx file and the existing translation memory.

Is there a simple process to do so? If any kind soul has the Christmas shopping done and 5 minutes spare to help, this would be swell.

Kind regards and Merry Christmas to all.
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
- Dec 24, 2018

-

[Edited at 2018-12-25 05:20 GMT]

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Export target file in SDL Trados Dec 25, 2018

Hello,

Only SDL Trados can convert (export) SDLXLIFF files back to their original file format (Word in this instance). This is true for any CAT tool and not Trados- or CafeTran-specific.

I remember you have SDL Trados installed in a VM, so at this point, your best bet would be to export the translation as an sdlppx package (not an sdlrpx return package) in CafeTran (Project > Export and exchange > To package) and open that package in SDL Trados to perform the target doc
... See more
Hello,

Only SDL Trados can convert (export) SDLXLIFF files back to their original file format (Word in this instance). This is true for any CAT tool and not Trados- or CafeTran-specific.

I remember you have SDL Trados installed in a VM, so at this point, your best bet would be to export the translation as an sdlppx package (not an sdlrpx return package) in CafeTran (Project > Export and exchange > To package) and open that package in SDL Trados to perform the target document conversion.

An alternative would be to export a bilingual document with notes in CafeTran, and deliver that file with your segment-level comments along with the SDL Trados package.

Also, please note that If you leave Notes in CafeTran, they will appear as Comments in SDL Trados.

TIP: For native projects (for example if you translate the Word file directly in CafeTran), you can have segment Notes appear as Word comments in the exported file (Project > Export and exchange > Export current document with notes).

Segmentation: By default, SDL Trados breaks segments at colons. You can have CafeTran replicate this setting. Look for “segmentation” as explained in my reference document on Preferences. You can find links to the reference documents here: https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/solutions

[Edited at 2018-12-25 00:08 GMT]
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 13:09
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Dec 27, 2018

[Bearbeitet am 2018-12-27 08:57 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translated a sdlppx file with CafeTran, now need a monolingual .docx target?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »