Thread poster: Mario Cerutti
Mario Cerutti
Mario Cerutti  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 18:48
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
Jun 12, 2018

I am a long-time Dejavu user and I don't like the way it manages terms and termbases. But, as soon as I learned that CT now offers multi-lingual glossaries I decided that it might be the right alternative for me.

So far so good, although CT is not that intuitive compared to Dejavu—probably the most intuitive on the market yet very powerful. Fortunately, CT's developper is very helpful and fast to reply to inquiries. But I don't want to bother him too much with beginner-like questi
... See more
I am a long-time Dejavu user and I don't like the way it manages terms and termbases. But, as soon as I learned that CT now offers multi-lingual glossaries I decided that it might be the right alternative for me.

So far so good, although CT is not that intuitive compared to Dejavu—probably the most intuitive on the market yet very powerful. Fortunately, CT's developper is very helpful and fast to reply to inquiries. But I don't want to bother him too much with beginner-like questions, hence I decided to seek help here from experienced CT users.

Excel files! CT offers the possibility to select which Excel columns to import, and to ignore the rest. But it don't seem to be able to select rows too. Also, I can't find a way to ignore entire sheets when there are more than one.

I use to receive many Excel files to translate, and many are very complicated. In Dejavu you can simply ignore hidden cells, complete columns, complete rows and complete sheets with total freedom, but how are CT esperienced users doing in cases like these?

Thanks
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
intuitive Jun 12, 2018

Aliseo Japan wrote:

Excel files! CT offers the possibility to select which Excel columns to import, and to ignore the rest. But it don't seem to be able to select rows too.

This is not possible

Also, I can't find a way to ignore entire sheets when there are more than one.

Not possible either

I use to receive many Excel files to translate, and many are very complicated. In Dejavu you can simply ignore hidden cells, complete columns, complete rows and complete sheets with total freedom, but how are CT esperienced users doing in cases like these?

It's depends on the complexity of the sheet. There is no out-of-the-box solution.

Does the sheet contain formulas? Does it contain heavy formatting? Most likely, it does. If not: how about saving the cells/rows/columns that need to be translated in a new sheet (or even in a plain text file). Translate in CT. Open the original sheet in CT, choose Translate > Insert Exact Matches. Export. Caveat: If any of the cells that not need to be translated, match with the source of the translated extract, they'll be translated too.

How about doing a roundtrip Déjà Vu CafeTran Espresso 2018?

How about using the Clipboard workflow for individual cells? See:

https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/folders/6000058167

Edit: see also:

http://beijer.uk/cafetran-old-wiki/cafetran.wikidot.com/translating-only-selected-cells-in-excel.html

[Edited at 2018-06-12 10:42 GMT]

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 16:48
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Ask Selçuk.... Jun 12, 2018

Aliseo Japan wrote:
...but how are CT esperienced users doing in cases like these?

Actually, I'd use the infamous trick I invented myself, making use of Excel (and other MS Office apps) not tracking changes not changed in Office. However, that trick is so counter-intuitive, I forgot most of how it works myself.

But the expert on Excel files is Selçuk, who uses bot DejaVu and CafeTran. I suggest you wait for him.

Cheers,

Hans

Mario Cerutti
Japan
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
DV <> CT rountrip Jun 12, 2018

Hans Lenting wrote:
How about doing a roundtrip Déjà Vu CafeTran Espresso 2018?

I've just had a look at the Déjà Vu CafeTran route link, and I see that it would be viable if it were not for the fact that often the Excel files I receive are multi-coloured—indeed a rare example of creativity—and I am always requested not to touch any of the original colours, which of course include red. So, the option to red-paint non translatable text is out of the question, because it would end up hiding translatable text too.

Thank you for the suggestion anyway.

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Track changes (not) Jun 12, 2018

Aliseo Japan wrote:
So, the option to red-paint non translatable text is out of the question, because it would end up hiding translatable text too.

Okay. Still waiting for Selçuk. In the meantime, my solution, and I hope I remember it correctly:

• Open the MS Office file (it won't work with other suites, and I don't know if it works with the latest Office files, say after 2015. I guess it will, though)
  • Enable Track Changes
  • Delete everything you don't want to import in CafeTran or DejaVu. Plus everything you can't import in one go. You don't have to delete columns you are not going to import anyway, of course
  • Save the document
  • Import it in CafeTran or DejaVu
  • Translate

And now comes the thing that confuses everybody, including me:

• Open the Office document and REJECT all changes.

There goes your hard work, you may think, but no. MS hasn't got a clue what you've been doing in one of the two best CAT tools on the market. Everything will be there, including your translation.

You may have to repeat the process, if there are things (sheets? columns? whathaveyous?) that cannot be imported in one go.

Cheers,

Hans

• Mario Cerutti
    Japan
    Italian to Japanese
    + ...
    TOPIC STARTER
    Time to add to the CT wishlist Jun 12, 2018

There goes your hard work, you may think, but no. MS hasn't got a clue what you've been doing in one of the two best CAT tools on the market. Everything will be there, including your translation.

You may have to repeat the process, if there are things (sheets? columns? whathaveyous?) that cannot be imported in one go.

Cheers,

Hans

Thank you indeed Hans, I really appreciate your help. I will try to experiment with your route as soon as I find a whole day free, so that I will dig deeper into some other CT functions too, which are still rather misterious to me if nothing else because of the way they have been named.

But, considering the type of Excel files I am all the time requested to translate (why do these Japanese clients love Excel so much?) I think I'm going to stick to DV until CF implements a DV-like Excel file import filter. Meanwhile I will try to add my wish to the CT wishlist, provided it exists somewhere, or contact the developper directly to see whether he may want to give a thought to it.

I do like CT for several reasons (multi-platform and multi-language glossaries being the top two) and unfortunately Atril is not giving us any real clue on the DV future.

Best regards

Hans Lenting
    Hans Lenting
    Netherlands
    Member (2006)
    German to Dutch
    Nice feature Jun 13, 2018

Aliseo Japan wrote:

In Dejavu you can simply ignore hidden cells, complete columns, complete rows and complete sheets with total freedom

I support your request to add this useful feature to CafeTran Espresso 2018.

BTW: Please note that CT won't import all text that's visible in Excel sheets. Certain types of text boxes (I still haven't been able to figure out which type exactly) won't be imported. (My request to add import of these texts was rejected by the developer.)

Edit: Had to look up how to hide individual cells (rows and columns was easy):

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/hide-or-display-cell-values-c94b3493-7762-4a53-8461-fb5cd9f05c33

Edit 2: Just had this amazing experience when I discovered that hidden rows, columns and sheets aren't imported. Only hidden cells are imported, probably because of the alternative way to hide them (by setting a filter to ';;;', as indicated in the Microsoft link above):

[Edited at 2018-06-13 07:28 GMT]

Mario Cerutti
    Japan
    Italian to Japanese
    + ...
    TOPIC STARTER
    Same as DV Jun 13, 2018

Hans Lenting wrote:
    Please note that CT won't import all text that's visible in Excel sheets. Certain types of text boxes (I still haven't been able to figure out which type exactly) won't be imported.

DV can optionally import comments, but not text boxes as far as I know. But comments and text boxes usually contain instructions or other ancillary information that normally don't need to be translated. Of course, providing the optional ability to import everthing would be a plus.

Mario Cerutti
    Japan
    Italian to Japanese
    + ...
    TOPIC STARTER
    Hide command in Excel Jun 13, 2018

Hans Lenting wrote:
    Edit: Had to look up how to hide individual cells (rows and columns was easy):

An even easier way is to select "Hide" in the pop-up menu that appears by right-clicking on the selected column/s, row/s or entire sheets. But, contrary to my belief, I've just discovered that hiding single cells or groups of cells in Excel is not possible (or it is?).

Now, CT has currently the ability to hide entire columns. (A while ago the developper asked me if I tried to actually hide selected sheets too, which I didn't know it was possible since I couldn't find that command but, given the question, I presume that this facility too exists. But where?)

Anyway, I hope it's possible and simple to add to the CT filter the possibility to hide rows too, and of course entire sheets as well if this option doesn't actually exist yet.

Hans Lenting
    Hans Lenting
    Netherlands
    Member (2006)
    German to Dutch
    ;;; Jun 13, 2018

Aliseo Japan wrote:

An even easier way is to select "Hide" in the pop-up menu that appears by right-clicking on the selected column/s, row/s or entire sheets.

Yes, that's very elegant indeed.

But, contrary to my belief, I've just discovered that hiding single cells or groups of cells in Excel is not possible (or it is?).

Yes, it is see: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/hide-or-display-cell-values-c94b3493-7762-4a53-8461-fb5cd9f05c33

Applying this filter also works while selecting multiple cells (by keeping the CMD key pressed; probably the CTRL key on Windows):

As far as I can see it, the only thing you need to make you a happy CafeTran user too, is that Igor would add that individual cells, hidden by the filter ';;;', are ignored during import .

[Edited at 2018-06-13 07:44 GMT]

Mario Cerutti
    Japan
    Italian to Japanese
    + ...
    TOPIC STARTER
    Test results Jun 13, 2018

After a few exchanges with the CT developper and a test on an actual Excel files comprising several columns, rows and sheets, I can finally say that CT doesn't load into the translation grid any part hidden in advance with the standard Excel "Hidden" instruction. Therefore, without the user doing anything, CT imports only visible (not hidden) text, which is what I was looking for in this software.

This method is particularly convenient with certain complex Excel files contain
    ... See more
    After a few exchanges with the CT developper and a test on an actual Excel files comprising several columns, rows and sheets, I can finally say that CT doesn't load into the translation grid any part hidden in advance with the standard Excel "Hidden" instruction. Therefore, without the user doing anything, CT imports only visible (not hidden) text, which is what I was looking for in this software.

This method is particularly convenient with certain complex Excel files containing both columns and rows which we want to hide from the translation grid, whereas the CT "Import source column" under "Filter options" allows to select only which columns (only columns) to import—not rows—and ignore the rest.

It remains to be seen whether the possibility to ignore single cells or group of cells (that don't fill up entire columns or rows) as per the method suggested by Hans Lenting, which I will try tomorrow, works as well in CT.

Thanks to Igor Kmitowski (Cafetran developper) for being so helpful and patient.
    Collapse

Hans Lenting

Meta Arkadia
    Meta Arkadia
    English to Indonesian
    + ...
    Terima kasih Jun 13, 2018

Aliseo Japan wrote:
    CT imports only visible (not hidden) text, which is what I was looking for in this software.

Thank you for reporting back, and special thanks for mentioning Igor as the developer of CafeTran.

Cheers,

Hans

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
    Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Excel files in CafeTran

Protemos translation business management system
    Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
    Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
    The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »