Auto-assembling derailed?
Thread poster: Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Apr 11, 2018

I had this irritating problem that auto-assembling didn't work as expected anymore. Took me a lot of time to get to the bottom of this.

Today I got a hint from the developer that a 'recently' introduced feature might be the cause. And indeed, the feature Automatic fragments adjustment was the culprit. Never understood what it was supposed to do. In CT speak, 'fragments' are something that's rather related to TMs than to glossaries.

Anyway, after disabling this om
... See more
I had this irritating problem that auto-assembling didn't work as expected anymore. Took me a lot of time to get to the bottom of this.

Today I got a hint from the developer that a 'recently' introduced feature might be the cause. And indeed, the feature Automatic fragments adjustment was the culprit. Never understood what it was supposed to do. In CT speak, 'fragments' are something that's rather related to TMs than to glossaries.

Anyway, after disabling this ominous feature, everything works as expected again: the first target translation (after the TAB character) is used by default for auto-assembling.

Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 21.25.35

The relevant glossary entry: 'oder' (English: or) was auto-assembled with 'en' (English: and) instead of 'of' (or) most of the times. A potentially dangerous deviation when translating safety-related documents.

Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 21.30.20

What I've learned: with a tool like CT, you really have to keep up (or don't update at all).
Collapse

Igor Kmitowski
Igor Kmitowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 23:45
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
Automatic fragments adjustment Apr 12, 2018

This is a very useful feature which recognises your recent usage of the term or fragment synonyms and adjusts their priority automatically to use the synonym subsequently in auto-assembling. The users who do not rely much on the set priorities for their glossary terms or TM fragments should benefit from it.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Useful and potentially dangerous Apr 12, 2018

Igor Kmitowski wrote:

This is a very useful feature which recognises your recent usage of the term or fragment synonyms and adjusts their priority automatically to use the synonym subsequently in auto-assembling. The users who do not rely much on the set priorities for their glossary terms or TM fragments should benefit from it.

Perhaps it's useful to other users, but personally I found this feature an example of too much automation. It consistently translated 'or' with 'and' (oder > und) and also messed around with other short words. Perhaps it needs some polishing? I like to stay in control of AA.

Anyway, since I found where to turn this feature off, I'm ready to enjoy working with CT again.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Auto-assembling derailed?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »