MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Local time: 11:39
Italian to German
+ ...
Jan 24, 2017

Hello,
looking forward for the full version, I'm currently running a test project in demo mode of CT.
I have created a Total Recall Table with 800 entries, and a Project TM is activated in my project together with a created glossary.

I notice that I get fragment matches and fragment hits from the Total Recall Memory, but not from my Project TM: Repeating sentence fragments from my project that I do not save in the glossary and that occur again in other sentences do not
... See more
Hello,
looking forward for the full version, I'm currently running a test project in demo mode of CT.
I have created a Total Recall Table with 800 entries, and a Project TM is activated in my project together with a created glossary.

I notice that I get fragment matches and fragment hits from the Total Recall Memory, but not from my Project TM: Repeating sentence fragments from my project that I do not save in the glossary and that occur again in other sentences do not show-up in the match results (as fragments), the Project TM pane remains always empty. I suspect I have not setup the project correctly. I have done these additional steps here below, but still I get no *new* fragments for my current project.

Additional steps:
I go in the Project > Project Configuration > Memory & Glossary > The project memory is unticked, I check it, and I check the 'Fragments memory' in the options. I notice that when leaving and comming again in the project config the checkbox for the project memory is now unchecked (but the changed options are ok).

After reading the knowledgebase for Total Recall again, I re-open my project and run the Total Recall > Recall Memory... I get a trial version limit warning, so I guess I cannot completly test my scenario. But after that, a new TM appears in the Match pane, making it now 3 in total: the Total Recall, The Project TM and a new 'filtered' TM from Total Recall I guess. A bit confusing for me, but again, I don't think that's the right setup

So, how do I get *new* fragment matches displayed and how do I best setup a project when I always use a very big TM (or even series of very big TMs) as reference?
With Trados, I usually have a very big TM that I use in read-only, plus a smaller TM for a project that gets updated. AFAIK, in CafeTran I can do much better: I should use Total Recall to create a filtered TM for my project - which is then very good because much faster, so that I can leave alone the 'big mamma', and update it at the end. What is the right procedure for it?

Thanks very much for clarification !
Greetings,
Mike
Collapse

Igor Kmitowski
Igor Kmitowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
Total Recall and ProjectTM setup Jan 25, 2017

Hi Mike,

Your Total Recall approach and setup for very big translation memories looks fine. When the trial version limit is lifted, you will be able to load the segments for the current project's context without 1000-segment limitation, and CafeTran should process them instantly with slight initial warm-up for loading and contextual filtering. You can (sort of) compare the process to retrieving information from Long Term (Storage) Memory to Short Term (Working) Memory.

... See more
Hi Mike,

Your Total Recall approach and setup for very big translation memories looks fine. When the trial version limit is lifted, you will be able to load the segments for the current project's context without 1000-segment limitation, and CafeTran should process them instantly with slight initial warm-up for loading and contextual filtering. You can (sort of) compare the process to retrieving information from Long Term (Storage) Memory to Short Term (Working) Memory.

When you create a new project, your ProjectTM is empty at the start and receives new segments as you move on by clicking the "Next segment" button (or a shortcut for it). Going back to a segment, you can see the 100% exact or or context matches. When the exact match is found, CafeTran stops any further processing for this segment for speed reasons, that is, it displays fragment matches only when there are no exact matches. As your ProjectTM is getting larger, you should see both the fragments and the hits. Note that in this case, you already used up 800 out of a 1000-segment limit for Total Recall segments.

Also, make sure the ProjectTM has the following default options on after you right-click at its pane:

1. Both Segments and Fragments memory options are checked.
2. Options > Matching type: Fuzzy and hits option is selected.

Greetings,
Igor

[Edited at 2017-01-25 10:18 GMT]
Collapse

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Igor! Jan 25, 2017

Thanks for getting me these details, Igor, I appreciate. I will try to re-activate my profile at the Google Group so I can also ask questions there, but I have lost my login data, so I think best is to register again.

May I further ask you 2 questions:
I find it very convenient that in CafeTran there are 'Tool Tips' (pop-up Quickinfos) when mousing over a fragment without translation. Is there an option to make this pop-up appear directly at your mouse pointer and going with
... See more
Thanks for getting me these details, Igor, I appreciate. I will try to re-activate my profile at the Google Group so I can also ask questions there, but I have lost my login data, so I think best is to register again.

I find it very convenient that in CafeTran there are 'Tool Tips' (pop-up Quickinfos) when mousing over a fragment without translation. Is there an option to make this pop-up appear directly at your mouse pointer and going with the mouse to select target text in the bubble? This would be ideal.
After doing a concordance search (I select the source text and click on TM Source tab) how do I return to the general match display that was there before?

Thanks and greetings,
Mike
Collapse

Igor Kmitowski
Igor Kmitowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
Questions Jan 25, 2017

I would recommend joining CafeTran's official forum at https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/discussions. It is much more active than the Google group.

The Fragments' tooltips will be closer to the mouse in the coming update. You can click at the hit number to edit and select a part of the target segment.

> how do I return to the general match display...
... See more
I would recommend joining CafeTran's official forum at https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/discussions. It is much more active than the Google group.

The Fragments' tooltips will be closer to the mouse in the coming update. You can click at the hit number to edit and select a part of the target segment.

> how do I return to the general match display...

It will refresh automatically when you move to the next segment or just click the "Translate selected fragment" (with no selection) button in the source segment toolbar to return to the TM matches for the current segment.

Igor

MikeTrans wrote:

I find it very convenient that in CafeTran there are 'Tool Tips' (pop-up Quickinfos) when mousing over a fragment without translation. Is there an option to make this pop-up appear directly at your mouse pointer and going with the mouse to select target text in the bubble? This would be ideal.
After doing a concordance search (I select the source text and click on TM Source tab) how do I return to the general match display that was there before?

Thanks and greetings,
Mike
Collapse

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Coffee corner Jan 25, 2017

Igor Kmitowski wrote:

And it has an extremely interesting coffee corner, where you can discuss almost anything. Even translation-related topics.

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you both for your details! Jan 27, 2017

I have now switched to a more voluminous project and I'm highly enjoying CafeTran Expresso! The feature I like most is the 'Recall Memory..." that cuts any TM in about 1/10 of its size for a project, yet having all you need in it! This is very good also to exchange TMs between people when working, but then there are network interfaces you can use... I also like Linguee and the numerous Web supports. Thank you very much!

Mike

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
What I love most about CafeTran ... Jan 27, 2017

MikeTrans wrote:

I have now switched to a more voluminous project and I'm highly enjoying CafeTran Expresso! The feature I like most is the 'Recall Memory..." that cuts any TM in about 1/10 of its size for a project, yet having all you need in it! This is very good also to exchange TMs between people when working, but then there are network interfaces you can use... I also like Linguee and the numerous Web supports. Thank you very much!

Mike

What I love most about CafeTran, is that everyone picks her favourite cherries. One likes the smart editing features that save time and keystrokes, another loves the fragments and subsegments and terms that come from the TM, and yet another one loves the Total Recall technology that allows the Big Mama approach with saving all TMs in one place.

CafeTran doesn't force you to use a workflow,
it allows you to optimise your own workflow.

Really!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Questions about Total Recall handling and Project TM

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »