ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:10
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Dec 11, 2016

Hello,
I'm trying to align two documents. While the "join target segments" feature works ok, I have problems with the "Join source segments" option: If I click this symbol, both source and target segments are joined. What can I do?
Thank you for your help!
Irene

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Did you click the correct icon? Dec 12, 2016

Hello Irene,

Did you click the correct Joining icon? I mean the ones below the target text.

I created two test documents that I segment on the colon (":"). There's also a line break between the first and second part of the third sentence.

Source:
source

Target:
target

Movie:

https://youtu.be/pURVgF9SRfs

[Edited at 2016-12-12 09:52 GMT]

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes ... Dec 12, 2016

Yes, that's exactly how I did it, but when I click the «Join segments» icon 1, both source and target segments are joined.
I used two Word documents. The problem arises with an abbreviation table. The first about 10 items are correctly segmented but then one is joined in the target segment so that I should join the source segment as well. There's no punctuation or other sign that explains the wrong segmentation. It's a mystery ...

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Perhaps it's a recognized abbreviation Dec 12, 2016

Perhaps it's a recognized abbreviation that is causing an automatic joining. CT can do that. How about manually splitting afterwards?

[Edited at 2016-12-12 16:35 GMT]

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Manually splitting Dec 12, 2016

Would be a good idea but can I do this? I couldn't find it in the manual ...

Igor Kmitowski
Igor Kmitowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
Progressive segmentation Dec 12, 2016

Hi Irene,

When you create an alignment project, make sure you select the default "Progressive segmentation". Then, you can control the alignment process via the "Join segments" action for the source and target segment independently. However, if you select the "Automatic segmentation" for the alignment, the join action affects both the source and target segment at the same time. Automatic segmentation in the alignment workflow should be used for the perfectly segmented files when eac
... See more
Hi Irene,

When you create an alignment project, make sure you select the default "Progressive segmentation". Then, you can control the alignment process via the "Join segments" action for the source and target segment independently. However, if you select the "Automatic segmentation" for the alignment, the join action affects both the source and target segment at the same time. Automatic segmentation in the alignment workflow should be used for the perfectly segmented files when each auto-segmented source segment corresponds to the auto-segmented target segment. Otherwise, please use "Progressive segmentation".

Splitting a segment can be done by placing the cursor at the splitting points of the current source and target segment. Then, just click the "Split segment" icon.
Collapse

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Progressive alignment Dec 13, 2016

Hi Igor,
I did select the default "progressive segmentation" but somehow the "join segments" option doesn't work for the source segment only. I'll try to send you a screenshot by e-mail.
Thanks for your help!
Irene

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Align workflow - joining source segments

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »