How to merge 2 glossaries into 1?
Thread poster: David Büchli
David Büchli
David Büchli  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:56
English to Dutch
Sep 5, 2016

What is the best way to merge 2 seperate glossaries into 1 main glossary?

Thanks!

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Merge feature Sep 5, 2016

David Büchli wrote:

What is the best way to merge 2 seperate glossaries into 1 main glossary?

Thanks!

- Open the glossaries in a UTF-8 compatible text editor.
- Copy the content of one glossary to the other glossary.
- Make sure that the entries that should get the highest priority and that should be used in auto-assembling are inserted at the end of the glossary.
- Save the file, close it, open it as a glossary in CafeTran.
- Use:

Screen Shot 2016-09-05 at 08.26.56

David Büchli
Germany
English to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Location glossaries? Sep 5, 2016

Where can I find the glossary files, is there a default location?

Or: what is the format extension (*.???), so I can search them on my computer.

Thx

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
TXT Sep 5, 2016

David Büchli wrote:

Where can I find the glossary files, is there a default location?

Or: what is the format extension (*.???), so I can search them on my computer.

Thx

Normally, the extension is .TXT (but they can have no extension too).

Normally, they are located inside the CafeTran Java package (yep), a little difficult to find.

You're on Windows, Mac, Linux?

What happens when you right-click above a glossary and choose Edit? Is the glossary opened in your default text editor?

Then you're lucky.

If not, I'd advise you to scan for a unique string, maybe add it to a glossary first. Your tool or OS will show you where the file with the string is located.

Wait a minute ... I just remembered that CafeTran shows the location of glossaries when hovering over their names in the Dashboard. Does that work?

David Büchli
Germany
English to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Glossaries found and merged! Sep 5, 2016

I think I have found the glossaries (in the CafeTran software folders, see screenshot) and have merged the 2 via Notepad, creating 1 file and opening that in CafeTran. I think this worked.

Capture

Would that not be a good function for CafeTran - being able to merge 2 glossaries within CafeTran? Just an idea.

Thanks for your help, always quick and clear.

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 04:56
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Join them Sep 5, 2016

David Büchli wrote:
Would that not be a good function for CafeTran - being able to merge 2 glossaries within CafeTran?

I don't use tab del glossaries, but I think it's already possible: In a project, open one of the glossaries. Then, in the Menu Glossaries, click Join to err, join it with another glossary (you'd still have to know the file path of the second one, of course). Save the joined glossaries.

The easiest procedure to merge TMX files, would be to save them in a folder, open the folder in CT, save the resulting merged/joined TMX file. I wouldn't be surprised if that's also possible for tab dels.

Cheers,

Hans

[Edited at 2016-09-05 10:04 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to merge 2 glossaries into 1?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »