What are your experiences with the full CafeTran-Licence?
Thread poster: Paula Albert
Paula Albert
Paula Albert  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 06:39
Hungarian to German
+ ...
Jun 6, 2016

I have just tested CafeTran on my Mac in a translation project. As it is the free version only, I had to split up my translation to several smaller portions and was frequently reminded that I'd have unlimited access with a paid version.

It did bravely do its task, but often stopped, just before I could save a segment (till I learnt to save before starting a new segment. So, with the free limited version, it was kind of a Trabant (Trabi)-experience for those who still have experienc
... See more
I have just tested CafeTran on my Mac in a translation project. As it is the free version only, I had to split up my translation to several smaller portions and was frequently reminded that I'd have unlimited access with a paid version.

It did bravely do its task, but often stopped, just before I could save a segment (till I learnt to save before starting a new segment. So, with the free limited version, it was kind of a Trabant (Trabi)-experience for those who still have experienced those Eastern German plastic cars..., esp. when travelling in the Swiss mountain areas (this, as CafeTran has Eastern roots and some Polish areas are linked to Germany).

I consider purchasing a full, unlimited CafeTran-licence, possibly at a group discount, as it is
a) affordable
b) running on a Mac (owning a Mac already excludes the famous Ferrari or Rolls Royce called Trados with all its features, schooling and support, so I have to test that outside with a foreign PC)
c) allegedly compatible both with TRADOS and Memsource or other files, but I haven't tested them all yet - so please, if anyone can advise me here, I am all ear to hear.

But here I mainly need to know whether CafeTran does keep its promises - without the frequent stops - and whether the full unlimited version at least turns into a Skôda (a somewhat better Eastern car from Slovakia, also used to the Tatra Mountains and another neighbour of Poland, probably even employing many Polish employees near the Slovakian Border).

Is it worth buying CafeTran?

Thanks for your answers.

Paula
Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 07:39
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Contact the author Jun 6, 2016

with all questions you have. Igor Kmitowski is a VERY helpful person.
Hope email cafetran.support at gmail.com still works, haven't used it lately.

BR,

[Edited at 2016-06-06 22:41 GMT]

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Empty post.
CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Is CafeTran worth € 80 / year? Jun 7, 2016

I'd say: yes, invest € 80 and enjoy working with CafeTran for a whole year. You can ask any questions at the CafeTran Freshdesk:

https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/discussions/forums/6000132966

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
The famous Ferrari or Rolls Royce called Trados Jun 7, 2016

Paula Albert wrote:...
the famous Ferrari or Rolls Royce called Trados

...compared to the mentioned cars in terms of their weight and waste of (translator´s) ressources?

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Good things are ... made of plastic Jun 7, 2016

CafeTran is often referred to as the Cessna under the CAT tools: small and agile.

So a comparison with a Trabi isn't actually that far-fetched.

From the Wikipedia:

In Western nations, the Trabant's shortcomings are often written about for comedic effect.

The Trabant was a steel monocoque design with the roof, trunk lid, hood, fenders, and doors made of Duroplast. Duroplast was a hard plastic (similar to Bakelite) made of recycled materials: cotton waste from the Soviet Union and phenol resins from the East German dye industry.

[Edited at 2016-06-07 06:36 GMT]

Igor Kmitowski
Igor Kmitowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
Learning to fly Jun 7, 2016

Hi Paula,

Take your time testing CafeTran. After the initial wobbles, you may discover the jet engine.

BTW. I hope you find the Tatra mountains as beautiful as the Alps.

Igor

Paula Albert
Paula Albert  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Hungarian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for all your answers... Jun 7, 2016

Thanks for your answers... helpful ones, funny ones, interesting ones

After my TRADOS trial-version I can use on an external PC has expired, I'll come back to CafeTran and either try it for a year or register for a group discount waiting list for EUR 125 or 135 for a permanent version. After all, it's not that much more and with 3 years of support...

TRADOS: if ever I come back to a Win-PC, I may re-consider you. But in certain areas, Mac has its advantages too.
<
... See more
Thanks for your answers... helpful ones, funny ones, interesting ones

After my TRADOS trial-version I can use on an external PC has expired, I'll come back to CafeTran and either try it for a year or register for a group discount waiting list for EUR 125 or 135 for a permanent version. After all, it's not that much more and with 3 years of support...

TRADOS: if ever I come back to a Win-PC, I may re-consider you. But in certain areas, Mac has its advantages too.

Should I occasionally need Memsource for certain projects (if not working with CafeTran or not properly), I may consider buying monthly Memsource-licences, as I successfully worked with that program as an employee with an employee license. That one is also af-Ford-able (if we want to remain in the automotive language), runs on Mac, but not compatible with TRADOS... I could even get a 30d trial version for myself, as I only had an employee license. So Memsource seems to be more of a temporary hired car, be it Ford, Dacia, Volkswagen or whatever... Anyway, it runs and does its job. I know about a Ford that reached 17 years and did its job well.

@Igor Kmitowski: I had a bug when joining or splitting segments and copying and pasting spare segment text to the above or below segment (something, I had learnt in Memsource): my copied translation part always pasted in the source language instead of the target language.

I have never been to the Tatra yet, but know some people, both Polish and Slovak, who had been skiing in Zakopane, your Polish Davos.

@ all: Have a nice and sunny day!

Paula

[Bearbeitet am 2016-06-07 10:43 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am 2016-06-07 10:44 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What are your experiences with the full CafeTran-Licence?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »