Thread poster: John Dawson
John Dawson
John Dawson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:46
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 13, 2016

I'd like to download and try CafeTran, but both my browsers - Chrome and MS Edge - do not accept the Java plugin, which apparently is essential. Does that leave Firefox as my only option in Windows 10? Is there no workaround to be able to use Chrome, my browser of choice? Thanks.

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 15:46
English to Turkish
+ ...
JRE Apr 13, 2016

Hi John,

You need Java Runtime Environment (JRE) for CafeTran. AFAIK Java plug-in is only a part of the JRE.

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Local time: 13:46
Not relevant Apr 13, 2016

John Dawson wrote:

Java plugin, which apparently is essential.

The browser plugin is not relevant. You should get the JRE as Selcuk wrote. 32 or 64 bit, depending on your windows 10 version.

Java.com/download/manual.asp
Or:
Java.com/en/download/manual.asp

[Edited at 2016-04-13 18:14 GMT]

John Dawson
John Dawson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:46
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for the help, Selcuk and CafeTrans training folks! Apr 13, 2016

Much appreciated!

GregZk
GregZk
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
Cannot start Cafetran Espresso on Win XP Jun 19, 2016

Hello, I recently saw CafeTran Espresso mentioned for the first time in an online ad with a link to download and install it free of charge. I did it and tried to run, but nothing appeared after my double-click on its red desktop icon. I have the latest possible for Windows XP version 7 update 71 of Java and I had read on the official website that CafeTran can run on XP.
When I right-clicked on CafeTran's icon, I saw its prescribed window behaviour to minimize and changed it to standard wi
... See more
Hello, I recently saw CafeTran Espresso mentioned for the first time in an online ad with a link to download and install it free of charge. I did it and tried to run, but nothing appeared after my double-click on its red desktop icon. I have the latest possible for Windows XP version 7 update 71 of Java and I had read on the official website that CafeTran can run on XP.
When I right-clicked on CafeTran's icon, I saw its prescribed window behaviour to minimize and changed it to standard window, but nothing changed. What's to be done?
Thanx in advance, Gregory
Collapse

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
XP Jun 19, 2016

>I had read on the official website that CafeTran can run on XP

Where did you see that? I doubt it that CafeTran still works with the old and probably unsafe Java 7...

[Edited at 2016-06-20 00:51 GMT]

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
XP Jun 19, 2016

CafeTran Training wrote:

Where did you see that?

http://www.proz.com/software-comparison-tool/tool/cafetran/97

Operating system
Windows XP, Mac OS X 10.6 and higher, Windows Vista, Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) and higher, Windows 7, Windows 8, Mac OS X 10.4 and higher, Linux, Mac OS 7, 8, 9, OSX 10.3.4 and higher , Windows 95, 98, ME, NT & 2000

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Not up to date Jun 20, 2016

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

CafeTran Training wrote:

Where did you see that?

http://www.proz.com/software-comparison-tool/tool/cafetran/97

Operating system
Windows XP, Mac OS X 10.6 and higher, Windows Vista, Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) and higher, Windows 7, Windows 8, Mac OS X 10.4 and higher, Linux, Mac OS 7, 8, 9, OSX 10.3.4 and higher , Windows 95, 98, ME, NT & 2000

I guess that some operating systems should be removed here, since they do not support the required Java version.

Igor Kmitowski
Igor Kmitowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
Latest Java and XP Jun 20, 2016

Hi Gregory,

Oracle says that you can install the latest Java 8 on Windows XP. Please check this link: https://www.java.com/en/download/faq/winxp.xml

Igor

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Running CafeTran with Java

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »