Lucia Messuti
Lucia Messuti  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:18
English to Italian
+ ...
Jan 17, 2016

Hello
I've never seen this CAT but I've read about it and it seems a very good CAT tool.
Currently I'm working with Wordfast PRO and I'm quite happy about it, except for managing sdlxliff files.

So, I had to install a VM running Windows and Studio/Trados. But I would rather prefer to work only in the Mac environment.

How is CafeTrans? Translator-friendly? And how can you manage the sdlxliff files?

And in general? What are pros and cons?
... See more
Hello
I've never seen this CAT but I've read about it and it seems a very good CAT tool.
Currently I'm working with Wordfast PRO and I'm quite happy about it, except for managing sdlxliff files.

So, I had to install a VM running Windows and Studio/Trados. But I would rather prefer to work only in the Mac environment.

How is CafeTrans? Translator-friendly? And how can you manage the sdlxliff files?

And in general? What are pros and cons?
I've seen that dictation is good.

Thanks
Lucia
Collapse

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 22:18
English to Indonesian
+ ...
CafeTran and SDLXLIFF Jan 17, 2016

Lucia Me wrote:
And how can you manage the sdlxliff files?

CafeTran does not have any problems with SDLXLIFF and SDLPPX files, just drop them on the Dashboard (now with a different lay-out), and off you go. See here.

It can also handle native files of most (all?) other CAT tools, and like in the case of SDLXLIFF files, it can handle them better and more efficiently. On a Mac. And on a Linux machine, and even under err, Windows.

Cheers,

Hans

Lucia Messuti
Lucia Messuti  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Hans, but I still have a few doubts Jan 18, 2016

Currently, when I receive an sdlxliff project in Studio 2011/2014 (or still a Trados 2007) I first have to copy source to target/pretranslate the file in the relevant CAT, then I can start translating it with Wordfast and saving it in the original format.

The problem is that sometimes clients have issues cleaning up the files.
That's why I would start trying a new software.

Thanks for letting me know your experience.

Lucia

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 22:18
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Well... Jan 18, 2016

Lucia Me wrote:
That's why I would start trying a new software.

... just give it a try then. There's a free version available here. There are two very minor problems:

• SDL termbases can be a pain. Few agencies send them, though. And with a bit of work, you can solve the problem.
  • You can create a return package, but it'll lack the GUID necessary for agencies managing large projects into multiple languages. Most agencies don't care if you hand in the SDLXLIFF file(s) rather than the return package, though.

Cheers,

Hans

• CafeTran Training (X)
    CafeTran Training (X)
    Netherlands
    Quick Start: Translate SDL Studio Packages Jan 18, 2016

Lucia Me wrote:

And how can you manage the sdlxliff files?

As soon as CafeTran 2016 has been released, a Quick Start tutorial on translating SDL Studio Packages will be made available here: http://CafeTran-Training.com

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
    Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CafeTran on a MacBook Pro/Maverick IOS comapred to other CATs

TM-Town
    Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
    Trados Business Manager Lite
    Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »