Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 11:13
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The title bar says different Dec 21, 2015

Meta Arkadia wrote:

There is no trial version, only a free version...

But the title bar says something different.

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 17:13
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Left-over Dec 21, 2015

Piotr Bienkowski wrote:
But the title bar says something different.

A left-over from the days there was a 30 days trial version. The current downloadable version can be used "forever," and is only limited for as far as the user's own resources (TMs, glossaries) go. It's very useful, even if you don't intend to start using CafeTran as your CAT tool.

Cheers,

Hans

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Another one Dec 21, 2015

Relevant for you too:

Locked segments in SDLXLIFF are locked in CafeTran too. This of course has pros and cons.

Piotr Bienkowski
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the tips Dec 21, 2015

2nl wrote:

Relevant for you too:

Locked segments in SDLXLIFF are locked in CafeTran too. This of course has pros and cons.

Thanks for the tips, 2nl. I am now focusing on maximizing throughput before the deadline and autocomplete is working nicely.

2nl (X)
Netherlands
Also possible Dec 21, 2015

Piotr Bienkowski wrote:

I am now focusing on maximizing throughput before the deadline and autocomplete is working nicely.

Yes. That's what I thought.

Don't forget that you can invoke the Match Bar by pressing Shift twice to have the translation of any recognised source term inserted at the cursor position in the Target segment pane.

Or perhaps you're a mouse guy (calculated expectation since you've used Linux before: 5 %), then you can quickly click & drag over any part of the resources to have the text inserted into the Target segment pane.

I'm personally a mouse man for 95 %.

Piotr Bienkowski
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm keyboard oriented Dec 21, 2015

Not because of Linux, but because I first used a word processor under DOS 23 years ago and switch to Windows only 3 years later.

Actually I do a lot of clicking under Linux, because the Linux box is now an entertainment machine for kids running Ubuntu.

Still I have to insert partial matches (I mean parts of a fuzzy match I want to reuse) by selecting them with the mouse in CT.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:13
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TIP: press Shift twice, followed by the first letter of the source term … Dec 21, 2015

Piotr Bienkowski wrote:

Not because of Linux, but because I first used a word processor under DOS 23 years ago and switch to Windows only 3 years later.

Actually I do a lot of clicking under Linux, because the Linux box is now an entertainment machine for kids running Ubuntu.

Still I have to insert partial matches (I mean parts of a fuzzy match I want to reuse) by selecting them with the mouse in CT.

Have you tried the new feature where, with your caret in the target segment pane, you can trigger auto-suggestions (in a dialogue that appears near your caret) by pressing Shift twice, followed by the letter of the source term. For example, if you want to see if there is anything in your various resources as a translation for the Dutch word "kat", you would hit Shift twice, and then the (source-language) letter "k" on your keyboard. Note that this is the reverse of normal auto-complete logic, where you would press the (target-language) letter "c". Assuming you had, e.g., an entry in a glossary with: "kat = cat", this option would automatically pop up in a special dialogue.

This was only added recently, and is, in my opinion, one of the absolute best new features, ever! (We borrowed it from Wordfast Classic).

See also:

"#2. Reversed suggestion of fragments/terms in the target segment pane – triggered by pressing Shift key twice and the first letter of the source term in the target segment pane." (http://cafetran.wikidot.com/changelog )

Another cool new feature is the "Match Bar" (the series of little Lego block icons at the top of the screen, with alphabetical matches from your resources), but this involves mousing (which I prefer to avoid)

Michael

2nl (X)
Netherlands
What's nice too Dec 21, 2015

What's nice too: if you add a term pair, it becomes directly available in the Match Bar. So in very long segments (legal texts, patents etc.), you can easily insert the new term at multiple places in the segment. If I'm making myself clear. Well, anyway, it's handy.

Piotr Bienkowski
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the tips, guys Dec 21, 2015

Actually when I connected a read-only TMX with the subject matter units (from OmegaT) which does not exceed the free limit of TUs, autocomplete works very nicely, better than in Studio, sometime I just tap to confirm words to the end of sentence.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Limitations of the trial version?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »