Exporting bilingual sdl files
Thread poster: Jenny Nilsson
Jenny Nilsson
Jenny Nilsson  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 11:10
English to Swedish
Dec 11, 2015

I have a client who continuously sends me trados packages and I can work with them fine in cafetran. But I cannot export bilingual (clean) files. This is obviously because it is not a cafetran project. Is there any other way to get around this, because my client is becoming a little upset that I can't "finalize" my translations. Exporting as HTML or TXT file doesn't suffice. Do I have to change software?

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:10
Finnish to French
Finalizing an SDLXLIFF Dec 11, 2015

Have you followed the step described here (for "finalizing"):

http://cafetran.wikidot.com/translating-sdlxliff-files

Jenny Nilsson
Sweden
English to Swedish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Dec 11, 2015

Thanks for that info, but how do I import a sdlxliff files to work on? There are many xliffs in one package?

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
I'm not sure what you mean Dec 11, 2015

Jenny Nilsson wrote:

But I cannot export bilingual (clean) files.

I'm not sure what you mean here. In my interpretation a Trados (the old name of SDL) file is either bilingual or clean. Probably I'm misinterpreting your question.

Jenny Nilsson
Sweden
English to Swedish
TOPIC STARTER
My bad Dec 11, 2015

2nl wrote:

Jenny Nilsson wrote:

But I cannot export bilingual (clean) files.

I'm not sure what you mean here. In my interpretation a Trados (the old name of SDL) file is either bilingual or clean. Probably I'm misinterpreting your question.

You are probably not misinterpreting, it is I who is grasping in the dark for answers, so I hardly know how to ask the question.

What I have come to understand is that there is something else wrong with my return packages (other than that I can't export a clean file. I thought a clean and a bilingual file were the same thing. Basically a preview of the finished doc?)

I'm going to take a look at the information posted above more closely as soon as I have time, because there is a lot to wrap my head around. (Yes, I'm a newb). Forinstance, I didn't understand how to import xliffs to work with instead of the sdl file. There are many xliffs inside a sdl package.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: empty
2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Just translated my first SDL project with nested folders Dec 11, 2015

Jenny Nilsson wrote:
There are many xliffs inside a sdl package.

This week I translated my first SDL project with nested folders. I wasn't sure how CafeTran would handle the package, so I opened it in Studio, copied the target folder tree to my CafeTran project folder and started translating.

Everything went fine. For instance: Once more I was very impressed by the smart QA Spelling. This is absolutely a bless and very fast (and about 1000 times faster than Studio's spell checker).

I performed the other QA checks and closed CafeTran. Then I copied the folder tree from the CafeTran project folder back to the Studio target language folder.

I pressed F8 and found that Studio didn't report any real errors.

I started to create a return package ... and made a mistake.

Received a mail from the client that only one folder from the folder tree had been translated. So I talked to him (he's an authorised SDL trainer) and he explained to me what I already knew (but had forgotten): I had to close all open XLIFF files, navigate to the Projects list, open the context menu, choose Create Return Package and then ... I had to click "Select all" to make sure that all files in all nested folders were included in the return package.

Perhaps this short exposé helps you in understanding the workflow for nested folders.

[Edited at 2015-12-11 13:56 GMT]

Jenny Nilsson
Sweden
English to Swedish
TOPIC STARTER
target folder tree Dec 11, 2015

This week I translated my first SDL project with nested folders. I wasn't sure how CafeTran would handle the package, so I opened it in Studio, copied the target folder tree to my CafeTran project folder and started translating.

Soyou opened the package like normal, and then copied a tree to a project folder. I'm not sure I understand what folder that could be.

And I don't know what a target folder tree is either, lol.

Is there a CAT tool school I can go to to teach me the very basics?

Igor Kmitowski
Igor Kmitowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
Convert to the return package Dec 11, 2015

Hi Jenny,

I understand that you received the SDL project in the sdlppx package form. Then, simply open it in CafeTran, translate and convert it to the return package via the menu Project > Convert > To package...

Both sdlppx and sdlrpx packages contain bilingual sdlxliff files. There is no need to extract them to a separate folder. You can do if you find it more convenient though.

Do not forget to finalize the project by setting the status of the segments t
... See more
Hi Jenny,

I understand that you received the SDL project in the sdlppx package form. Then, simply open it in CafeTran, translate and convert it to the return package via the menu Project > Convert > To package...

Both sdlppx and sdlrpx packages contain bilingual sdlxliff files. There is no need to extract them to a separate folder. You can do if you find it more convenient though.

Do not forget to finalize the project by setting the status of the segments to "Translated" via the Task menu > Set translated status.

Igor

[Edited at 2015-12-11 13:42 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-12-11 14:08 GMT]
Collapse

Jenny Nilsson
Sweden
English to Swedish
TOPIC STARTER
OK! Dec 11, 2015

Ok, thank you. Then it should work but the client insists there is a problem on my side. Oh well.

Igor Kmitowski wrote:

Hi Jenny,

Igor

[Edited at 2015-12-11 13:42 GMT]

Jenny Nilsson
Sweden
English to Swedish
TOPIC STARTER
More strange things Dec 11, 2015

Uodating to say that when I open the sdlppx again, it is showing me segments I have never seen before. Something is weird

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 16:10
English to Indonesian
+ ...
The Agency Dec 12, 2015

Jenny Nilsson wrote:
Something is weird

Everything is strange when dealing with Trados. I think the agency forgot to set the target language. Try to drop the *.SDLPPX (as is, "un-unpacked") on CT's Dashboard. What happens? Does it load without pop-up screens? If so, check the project configuration: In the menu, Project | Project Configuration... Do you see a greyed-out target language?

Another possibility is that the agency used the wrong format. It seems the latest itineration of Trados cannot handle *.doc files anymore. Some agencies don't know this, and happily continue using *.doc for projects rather than *.docx. This can lead to heaps of problems.

If possible, please upload a screenshot of the package contents. Or list all relevant file extensions in the project, and any language codes.

Cheers,

Hans

Jenny Nilsson
Sweden
English to Swedish
TOPIC STARTER
I'm on the case Dec 14, 2015

I think the agency forgot to set the target language. Try to drop the *.SDLPPX (as is, "un-unpacked") on CT's Dashboard. What happens? Does it load without pop-up screens? If so, check the project configuration: In the menu, Project | Project Configuration... Do you see a greyed-out target language?

There is a popup about glued files that opens when I drop in a sdlpxx. I had forgotten about that. I don't know what it means.

I also checked the project config as you said, and both the target language and source language are grey.

The files are .doc, not .docx. I will inform the client of this.

The client also said that they have had similar trouble before with another translator and it was a simple problem about opening the right files. I can't figure out how to open a sdlpxx other than dragging it onto the cafetran window.

Thanks for your help so far!

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 16:10
English to Indonesian
+ ...
*.doc Dec 14, 2015

Jenny Nilsson wrote:
There is a popup about glued files that opens when I drop in a sdlpxx. I had forgotten about that. I don't know what it means.

You can "glue" the Trados files so there only seems to be one file. "seems," because the files aren't really merged, it's "virtual" only.

I also checked the project config as you said, and both the target language and source language are grey.

So that's OK.

The files are .doc, not .docx. I will inform the client of this.

Please do.

The client also said that they have had similar trouble before with another translator

That could have been moi...

it was a simple problem about opening the right files.

Not if the original files are *.doc, and the Studio version is *.docx. That wouldn't be a problem for CafeTran, but the Studio project will have to be re-created.

I can't figure out how to open a sdlpxx

Change the extension to .zip, and unzip.

Cheers,

Hans

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:10
Finnish to French
SDLPPX = ZIP Dec 14, 2015

Jenny Nilsson wrote:
I can't figure out how to open a sdlpxx other than dragging it onto the cafetran window.

An SDLPPX is just a ZIP file. Change the extension from SDLPPX to ZIP and you will be able to open it like any other ZIP file.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Exporting bilingual sdl files

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »