Exporting bilingual sdl files
Thread poster: Jenny Nilsson
2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:11
Virtually glueing Dec 14, 2015

Jenny Nilsson wrote:

There is a popup about glued files that opens when I drop in a sdlpxx. I had forgotten about that. I don't know what it means.

Please check the box. See also: http://cafetran.wikidot.com/glueing-files-together-inside-a-project

Jenny Nilsson
Jenny Nilsson  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
TOPIC STARTER
I have unzipped it Dec 14, 2015

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Jenny Nilsson wrote:
I can't figure out how to open a sdlpxx other than dragging it onto the cafetran window.

An SDLPPX is just a ZIP file. Change the extension from SDLPPX to ZIP and you will be able to open it like any other ZIP file.

I have taken a look at the insides of the sdlpxx and seen folders with target and source languages etc. Inside target languages I found xliffs, but I can't import any of those xliffs into a project so I assumed that's not how you do it.

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 19:11
English to Indonesian
+ ...
You can open SDLXLIFF files in CafeTran... Dec 14, 2015

Jenny Nilsson wrote:
...but I can't import any of those xliffs into a project so I assumed that's not how you do it.

... but not in a project. That's because SDLXLIFF files are already projects* in itself, so you can't import them, but you can open them.

To open a SDLXLIFF file, open a new CafeTran project, and drop an SDLXLIFF file on the Dashboard. To open all SDLXLIFF files, save them in one folder, and drop that folder on the Dashboard (folder option enabled.

*Some people don't agree with that statement. They are wrong, of course.

Cheers,

H.

2nl (X)
Netherlands
In other words Dec 15, 2015

Meta Arkadia wrote:

To open a SDLXLIFF file, open a new CafeTran project, and drop an SDLXLIFF file on the Dashboard. To open all SDLXLIFF files, save them in one folder, and drop that folder on the Dashboard (folder option enabled.

Thanks for clarifying that!

I'm not trying to correct your words here, I'm just trying to make this as clear as possible, so I'd write:

To open an SDLXLIFF file, create a new CafeTran project by dragging and dropping an SDLXLIFF file onto the Dashboard. To open several SDLXLIFF files, save them in one folder, and drop that folder onto the Dashboard (folder option enabled).

Once again: thanks for investing your time in order to help others!

[Edited at 2015-12-15 09:04 GMT]

Jenny Nilsson
Sweden
English to Swedish
TOPIC STARTER
Gluing didn't work Dec 15, 2015

I tried to "glue" the files. I pressed the glueing button, and translated, but client says only one file seems to have been 100% translated.

Dragging xliffs or xliff-folders opens an empty project for me. Just blank.

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Support ticket Dec 15, 2015

Jenny Nilsson wrote:
...but client says only one file seems to have been 100% translated.

I give up. I suggest you file a support ticket, although I'm about 100% sure the problem lies with Trados/the agency.

Cheers,

Hans

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
One more thing - as we say Dec 15, 2015

You do have a TM, I may hope? Send it to the agency to show you did translate everything. They can use it to re-create your translation in Trados, although it won't take tags into account.

Cheers,

Hans

Jenny Nilsson
Sweden
English to Swedish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the help Dec 15, 2015

I managed to import xliffs! I think. I haven't tried if it works this time. Very time-consuming.

The client has gotten my tmx files for a while but they wanted to solve the problem and get the proper return packages now.

Thanks for the help!

2nl (X)
Netherlands
Perhaps this helps? Dec 15, 2015

I quickly created a screencast. I hope it helps.

How to translate an SDLPPX package in CafeTran?

Drag and drop an SDLPPX package onto the CafeTran Dashboard, translate the project in CafeTran, create an SDLRPX return package in CafeTran.

See: https://youtu.be/4zuNP3WiwPM

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Corrections Dec 16, 2015

2nl wrote:
To open an SDLXLIFF file, create a new CafeTran project

You cannot "create" a new project if the file already is a project, as is the case with an SDLXLIFF file (as I mentioned above).

Once again: thanks for investing your time in order to help others!

You are in no position to thank me for helping others. Like me, you are a mere CafeTran user, not involved in CafeTran whatsoever.

Hans

Jenny Nilsson
Sweden
English to Swedish
TOPIC STARTER
Select project type Dec 16, 2015

2nl wrote:

I quickly created a screencast. I hope it helps.

How to translate an SDLPPX package in CafeTran?

Drag and drop an SDLPPX package onto the CafeTran Dashboard, translate the project in CafeTran, create an SDLRPX return package in CafeTran.

See: https://youtu.be/4zuNP3WiwPM

Thanks, this should help. But I am wondering what to choose in the dropdown called: Select Project Type. In the video you have "test" selected. Should it be on "edit xliff, sdlpxx", etc?

Overall I am confused about whether I should unzip and import xliffs or drag/drop sdlpxx. I am going to do it as per the video and if that doesn't work, I am officially blaming the client.

[Redigerad 2015-12-16 14:03 GMT]

[Redigerad 2015-12-16 14:05 GMT]

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Use the SDLPPX Dec 17, 2015

Jenny Nilsson wrote:
Overall I am confused about whether I should unzip and import xliffs or drag/drop sdlpxx.

1. Run CafeTran
2. Drop the SDLPPX file on the Dashboard
3. A pop-up screen may appear asking you things about a TMX file. That's the TM the client provided. Click OK
4. A pop-up screen may appear asking you if you want to glue the files (SDLXLIFF). Glue them

Apart from SDLXLIFF and TMX (the TM) files, the SDLPPX can contain an SDLTM file and an SDLTB file (termbase). If you already imported the TMX file under nr. 3 above, you can forget about it. If not, see CafeTran4mac. As you can see there, it's perfectly easy to import the SDLTM, a lot more difficult to use the SDLTB. For reasons I don't understand, clients will seldom send you an SDLTB, though.

Now it's time to import your TM:
5. In the Menu, Memory | Open Memory... and browse to it
6. Perform a first statistics check to see what has been translated: In the Menu, Project | Statistics | Project Statistics
7. If this shows you translated everything, you're OK. If not, in Menu, Translation | Jump over Exact Memory Matches, and start by clicking the Next button
8. Repeat 6. If this shows you translated everything, you're OK. If not, the client is right, and you're knee-deep in it.

Cheers,

Hans

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Exporting bilingual sdl files

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »