Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:42
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
@Michael Nov 6, 2015

Michael Beijer wrote:

How on earth is his original post (in the dedicated CafeTran forum) ‘outside of ProZ.com's scope’? Hans gave a webinar yesterday, which he did for free, and in his spare time. His post contained information for the people who watched the webinar. Admittedly, it lacks much in the way of an intro, explaining what it is, but this is no reason to assume it is advertising. If anything, it would be bad advertising

My point exactly. As Robert said: If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, sounds like a duck ... it is bad (and uncalled for) advertising (sorry for the stale joke). It doesn't matter whether anybody gets paid for this (which I at least have never suggested).

Some explanation as to the intent of the post might have helped.

Michael Beijer wrote:
Our behaviour would meet exactly the same criticism if we were promoting a different tool.

You're probably right there. Hopefully.

Michael Beijer wrote:
People don't like other people to be happy. It reminds them that they must be doing something wrong in their own lives. In this case: that they chose the wrong CAT tool.

Well, I could turn this non-argument back to you: Maybe you and other promoters of CT don't like other people to be happy. Am I 100% happy with the CAT tool I use? No. Does it make me happier than CT did? Yes.

Look, I really think it's great that you and Hans like CT, and by all means you have the right to say so. But please take other people's concern serious in whose eyes this, in its current form, sometimes looks like proselytisation, which may not always be called for.

My other 2 cents.

[Edited at 2015-11-06 10:00 GMT]

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
No harm done Nov 6, 2015

2nl wrote:

As Michael has pointed out to me on several occasions, I have bad quoting behaviour. I must really work on that. Michael wrote about 'spare time', actually I had to proceed with a translation project right after the webinar, so my time was limited.

Next time better

No harm done, then!

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
No harm done indeed Nov 6, 2015

As instigator of this whole discussion (which was for the most part a Dutch affair, but than in English (funny!)), I sincerely would like to wish everybody a lot of succes in their future endeavours. (no answer needed)

And to end in style..... Amen Brothers

[Edited at 2015-11-06 21:48 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-11-06 21:48 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A summary of CafeTran’s unique features

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »