Lost CafeTran document
Thread poster: apippi
apippi
apippi
Brazil
Oct 28, 2015

My computer quit unexpectedly and when I opened it back up I had lost the English file from a Portuguese to English translation. The other files were in the project file, but there was no longer a file with the extension US Eng. Is there any way to recover this file?

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:04
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Just export them again… Oct 28, 2015

apippi wrote:

My computer quit unexpectedly and when I opened it back up I had lost the English file from a Portuguese to English translation. The other files were in the project file, but there was no longer a file with the extension US Eng. Is there any way to recover this file?

Hi apippi,

The target language versions of your source files can be exported at any point, using any of these menu items:

some_text

Michael

apippi
apippi
Brazil
TOPIC STARTER
the problem was that i had not exported Oct 29, 2015

yes, this is the problem--i did not export them. and so when i opened cafetran back up, the project had been erased from the interface and there was no exported document to go to. So I guess I learned this lesson, to make sure to export at each session.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
~~~ Oct 29, 2015

Hi apippi,

To be honest, I don't really understand what is going on. I'm not sure exactly what was missing after you restarted CafeTran (after a crash). As far as I know, no files are created with the extension of your target language ("with the extension US Eng") unless you export documents from your project documents from your project. I have noticed recently that sometimes folders are created inside your project folder, with extensions such as "_nl-NL" and "_en-GB". I thin
... See more
Hi apippi,

To be honest, I don't really understand what is going on. I'm not sure exactly what was missing after you restarted CafeTran (after a crash). As far as I know, no files are created with the extension of your target language ("with the extension US Eng") unless you export documents from your project documents from your project. I have noticed recently that sometimes folders are created inside your project folder, with extensions such as "_nl-NL" and "_en-GB". I think what matters is whether the project XML file (with the extension ".xlf") was missing or not. This file should contain your translations.

Also, there shouldn’t really be any way to lose your work because your translations should also be stored in a translation memory (.tmx), meaning, you should be able to just re-create the project and pre-translate back down to where you left off.

Have you tried contacting support ([email protected])?

Michael
Collapse

Igor Kmitowski
Igor Kmitowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 15:04
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
Open the project Oct 29, 2015

If your project is still on the disk, just open it via the menu Project > Open project... . Choose the folder that contains your project files and click OK.

Igor

Macià Planas
Macià Planas
English to Spanish
+ ...
Same problem Aug 1, 2021

I just had the same problem. Apparently CafeTran does not have any autosave function and it doesn't get stored in the TM either. So I must start my job again.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
So you lost your project? Aug 2, 2021

Macià Planas wrote:

I just had the same problem. Apparently CafeTran does not have any autosave function

CafeTran Espresso actually does have an auto-save feature:

Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 08.00.11

By default, CafeTran Espresso saves the project after every 3 segments. You can adapt this value.

and it doesn't get stored in the TM either.

Did you check the Project memory checkbox in the Dashboard when you created the project?

Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 08.00.48

If you did, there must be a file called projectTM.tmx in your project folder.

So I must start my job again.

In the third selector, the project selector, scroll down to Open project ... and select this item to navigate to your project file (extension XLF):

Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 08.04.12

Edit: I just realised that my instruction to open the project was based on the assumption that you were translating a native CafeTran Espresso project (a project that you created yourself, e.g. from a MS Word document). Is that true?

[Edited at 2021-08-02 06:08 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Lost CafeTran document

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »