Returning a xliff-file
Thread poster: Jenny Nilsson
Jenny Nilsson
Jenny Nilsson  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 11:58
English to Swedish
Oct 20, 2015

My client has given me a doc-file and asked me to return the project in both .doc and .xliff. I am not familiar with xliff and I have just started using CafeTran. Does anyone have any advice on how to do this?

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 16:58
English to Indonesian
+ ...
File formats Oct 20, 2015

If you import the document in CafeTran, it will generate an .xlf file which is in fact the standard extension for XLIFF. That is, it should be standard, but "some CAT tool makers" don't stick to the standard, and use other extensions.

I suggest you ask your client if you can send him the TMX file (memory) instead. In the CafeTran menu, Project | Convert project | To TMX memory...

You can of course send them the XLF file as well, but chances are they cannot open it for t
... See more
If you import the document in CafeTran, it will generate an .xlf file which is in fact the standard extension for XLIFF. That is, it should be standard, but "some CAT tool makers" don't stick to the standard, and use other extensions.

I suggest you ask your client if you can send him the TMX file (memory) instead. In the CafeTran menu, Project | Convert project | To TMX memory...

You can of course send them the XLF file as well, but chances are they cannot open it for the strange reason that it's standard...

Cheers,

Hans
Collapse

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
No problem Oct 20, 2015

Jenny Nilsson wrote:

My client has given me a doc-file and asked me to return the project in both .doc and .xliff. I am not familiar with xliff and I have just started using CafeTran. Does anyone have any advice on how to do this?

Hi Jenny,

• Open the DOC in Word.
  • Save as DOCX.
  • Start CafeTran.
  • Drag the DOCX onto the green part of the CafeTran Dashboard.
  • Click the Next button to start.
  • Translate all segments.
  • At the end, choose Export to create the translated DOCX.
  • Open the translated DOCX in Word and save as DOC.
  • Choose Project > Convert > To package to create a ZIP (with the extension CTP) with the XLIFF.

Good luck!

For further discussion:

https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/discussions/topics/6000017900

Hans

[Edited at 2015-10-20 10:25 GMT]

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:58
Finnish to French
standard vs. recommended Oct 20, 2015

Meta Arkadia wrote:
... an .xlf file which is in fact the standard extension for XLIFF. That is, it should be standard, but "some CAT tool makers" don't stick to the standard, and use other extensions.

According to the OASIS guys, it’s the recommended extension. It’s OK for any tool to use something else, and in fact most of them use extensions that make it quite clear it’s XLIFF.

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
I think this is all getting a little technical for a novice user Oct 20, 2015

But of course, you are both right.

TXLF, SDLXLIFF, MQXLIFF, XLIFF, XLF etc.

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
This is all very well... Oct 20, 2015

Dominique Pivard wrote:
it’s the recommended extension

... but can you send a CafeTran XLF file to users of CAT tools that specify the extension as TXLF, SDLXLIFF, MQXLIFF, XLIFF, etc.? I don't really know, but I don't think so. Which is why I recommended to send a TMX file.

Cheers,

Hans

Jenny Nilsson
Jenny Nilsson  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everyone! Oct 20, 2015

The client has accepted to receive the TMX so I don't have to worry about the XLIFF at present time.

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Send the SDLXLIFF as well Oct 20, 2015

Jenny Nilsson wrote:
... I don't have to worry about the XLIFF at present time.

I'd still send her the SDLXLIFF file, if I were you. ASAP. Just to show her you can do it. For the next assignment.

Cheers,

Hans

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
No talk about SDLXLIFF Oct 20, 2015

Meta Arkadia wrote:
I'd still send her the SDLXLIFF file, if I were you. ASAP. Just to show her you can do it. For the next assignment.

There was no talk about the tool used by Jenny’s client, only that she got a DOC from them and was asked to return the translated DOC + an XLIFF. Even if her client were indeed using SDL Trados Studio, there would be no way for her to return an SDLXLIFF, unless she happens to have a copy of Trados or she was supplied an SDLXLIFF to begin with.

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
You're right Oct 20, 2015

Dominique Pivard wrote:
here was no talk about the tool used by Jenny’s client

True enough, but on the CafeTran forum, she made it clear that she got and translated an SDLXLIFF file. I should have mentioned that.

Cheers,

Hans

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Support for alternative extensions + TMX vs. XLIFF Oct 20, 2015

Meta Arkadia wrote:
... but can you send a CafeTran XLF file to users of CAT tools that specify the extension as TXLF, SDLXLIFF, MQXLIFF, XLIFF, etc.? I don't really know, but I don't think so.

First of all, a CAT tool doesn’t have a use XLIFF as its native document format in order to be able to accept XLIFF files originating from other tools as input. For instance, memoQ and Déjà Vu both use a database for their documents, and both can import XLIFF files from other tools. Wordfast Pro 3 doesn’t use XLIFF for its own documents, but it too can import XLIFF from other tools.

As to the extension(s) recognized by other tools, here is what the dropdown menu for File type looks like i memoQ:

As you can see, a number of alternative extensions will be recognized as being XLIFF. If a tool doesn’t recognize a "non-standard" XLIFF extension, all it usually takes is renaming the extension to something it will recognize as XLIFF (for instance, the "standard" extension, .XLF).
Meta Arkadia wrote:
Which is why I recommended to send a TMX file.

The suitability of TMX depends on the workflow: if all the client wants to do is update their TM, then TMX is fine. If they want someone to review the translated document (and possibly send it back with changes to the translator), then XLIFF is better.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Returning a xliff-file

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »