Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Is there anyone using Cafetran on a Mac?
Thread poster: ToFrench
ToFrench
ToFrench  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 02:27
English to French
Aug 26, 2015

I wanted to give it a try on my Mac OS 10.9.5 but it seems that it doesn't work. After having created a project, and included some files, I just get an empty screen with nothing in the grid.

I contacted the support which recommended that I make sure that automatic segmentation was selected, which is the case.

Then I decided to try to start Cafetran again, but without creating a new project. I just drag & dropped a file on it, which opened the project window.

... See more
I wanted to give it a try on my Mac OS 10.9.5 but it seems that it doesn't work. After having created a project, and included some files, I just get an empty screen with nothing in the grid.

I contacted the support which recommended that I make sure that automatic segmentation was selected, which is the case.

Then I decided to try to start Cafetran again, but without creating a new project. I just drag & dropped a file on it, which opened the project window.

From then, while I can move this window with the mouse, I cannot click on any button. Whatever I click on has no effect. The only was is to force Cafetran to stop through the Apple menu.

Is Cafetran working on Macs?
Collapse

Martin Brüggemeier
Martin Brüggemeier
Germany
English to German
+ ...
CafeTran works great on Macs Aug 26, 2015

I don't have a Mac myself, but there are many people who use CafeTran on a Mac and say that it's the best translation tool for Macs.

As for your current problem: it doesn't have to be Mac-specific. Are you sure you've selected the correct file type in the project settings?

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:27
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
CafeTran works great on Macs Aug 26, 2015

Hi ToFrench,

Yes, CafeTran works great on Macs, and there are many happy Mac users in the CT forms to attest to this. In fact, I would probably go so far as to say that it is the best CAT tool for OS X at the moment. Sounds like there is something very basic going wrong, which should be relatively easy to fix. The fastest and easiest way to figure out what is going on would probably be a TeamViewer session with someone who is using CafeTran on a Mac. I'm afraid I'm on Windows 10 mys
... See more
Hi ToFrench,

Yes, CafeTran works great on Macs, and there are many happy Mac users in the CT forms to attest to this. In fact, I would probably go so far as to say that it is the best CAT tool for OS X at the moment. Sounds like there is something very basic going wrong, which should be relatively easy to fix. The fastest and easiest way to figure out what is going on would probably be a TeamViewer session with someone who is using CafeTran on a Mac. I'm afraid I'm on Windows 10 myself, so would probably not be much help.

The best place to ask you this would probably be the (new) official CT for @ https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/discussions

I know that these initial problems can be very annoying, but I hope that you don't let it put you off of the tool altogether. Getting started with a new CAT tool isn't always easy, but CT really is worth the trouble, I can assure you.

Michael
Collapse

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
You must be joking! Aug 27, 2015

ToFrench wrote:

I wanted to give it a try on my Mac OS 10.9.5 but it seems that it doesn't work. ....

You must be joking. Just have a look at all the screenshots at the CafeTran wiki. Or see: CafeTran users love Mac.

The fact that you cannot get running CafeTran on your particular system, doesn't mean that it doesn't run on Mac. In fact it runs very well.

Now, if you want to have a hands-on session, via Skype or TeamViewer, just contact me. I'm glad to help you!

[Edited at 2015-08-27 07:28 GMT]

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 08:27
English to Indonesian
+ ...
It works well on a Mac, but... Aug 27, 2015

2nl wrote:
The fact that you cannot get running CafeTran on your particular system, doesn't mean that it doesn't run on Mac.

No, but it does mean that it may not be as easy as some people claim it is, and it does not mean ToFrench is an imposter. I think he genuinely has problems making CafeTran work. And that he really wants it to work.

Hans (on a Mac)

Igor Kmitowski
Igor Kmitowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
A specific Mac Aug 27, 2015

The user may have an issue on his Mac machine in particular. For example, the older system or a previous Java version installed. Then, I would recommend submitting a support ticket at CafeTran's official forum to sort it out.

Igor

ToFrench
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
I managed to have it work Aug 27, 2015

Thanks to Igor and to everyone.

I actually managed to create a working project. Right now I have no idea what went wrong and if the issue I had at the beginning are reproducible. Maybe it's some parameter in the Project Configuration that I should not have selected.

I will start from scratch again and try to isolate what triggers the issue I had. I am also communicating with Igor through the support tickets.

I can see that once it works, Cafetran is a prom
... See more
Thanks to Igor and to everyone.

I actually managed to create a working project. Right now I have no idea what went wrong and if the issue I had at the beginning are reproducible. Maybe it's some parameter in the Project Configuration that I should not have selected.

I will start from scratch again and try to isolate what triggers the issue I had. I am also communicating with Igor through the support tickets.

I can see that once it works, Cafetran is a promising tool. It has a lot of functions, most of them I will probably never use, but it seems that it does the job.
Collapse

ToFrench
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aug 27, 2015

2nl wrote:

ToFrench wrote:

I wanted to give it a try on my Mac OS 10.9.5 but it seems that it doesn't work. ....

You must be joking. Just have a look at all the screenshots at the CafeTran wiki. Or see: CafeTran users love Mac.

The fact that you cannot get running CafeTran on your particular system, doesn't mean that it doesn't run on Mac. In fact it runs very well.

Now, if you want to have a hands-on session, via Skype or TeamViewer, just contact me. I'm glad to help you!

[Edited at 2015-08-27 07:28 GMT]

Thanks for your offer, very nice from you Right now I somehow made it working...

2nl (X)
Netherlands
Happy exploring! Aug 27, 2015

ToFrench wrote:

I can see that once it works, Cafetran is a promising tool. It has a lot of functions, most of them I will probably never use, but it seems that it does the job.

Good to read! And happy exploring...

ToFrench
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
It's a nightmare... Aug 27, 2015

Ok, the issues are back. I wrote to igor but maybe somebody can chime in with some ideas. Here it goes...

I decided to add two more files to the project. To do this I followed those steps:

1- The project is open, I clicked on Project > Add Document...

2- After having Drag & paste the folder containing the two documents (and experiencing the inability to use the mouse on the Project Configuration window), I got to a screen displaying the grid with one of the
... See more
Ok, the issues are back. I wrote to igor but maybe somebody can chime in with some ideas. Here it goes...

I decided to add two more files to the project. To do this I followed those steps:

2- After having Drag & paste the folder containing the two documents (and experiencing the inability to use the mouse on the Project Configuration window), I got to a screen displaying the grid with one of the previously translated documents.

3- Then I clicked on Project > Documents... and selected one of the 2 new documents.

4- As a result I got an empty grid, and the document opened under the "Project TM" tab. Again, the document was not segmented and I therefore cannot translate it.

From this point if I try to open another document by clicking on Project > Documents... and picking any other document, nothing happens.

[Edited at 2015-08-27 12:21 GMT]
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:27
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TeamViewer Aug 27, 2015

ToFrench wrote:

2- After having Drag & paste the folder containing the two documents (and experiencing the inability to use the mouse on the Project Configuration window), I got to a screen displaying the grid with one of the previously translated documents.

3- Then I clicked on Project > Documents... and selected one of the 2 new documents.

4- As a result I got an empty grid, and the document opened under the "Project TM" tab. Again, the document was not segmented and I therefore cannot translate it.

From this point if I try to open another document by clicking on Project > Documents... and picking any other document, nothing happens.

[Edited at 2015-08-27 12:21 GMT]

I think the only way we're going to solve this is via a TeamViewer session. As far as I can see, there is nothing wrong with CafeTran on your Mac, you are just doing basic things wrong, which is making it seem like the program is unstable or that it doesn't work properly.

Michael

2nl (X)
Netherlands
Or record a movie... Aug 27, 2015

Or record a movie via Quick Time Player > New screen recording ...

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Folder or document? Aug 27, 2015

ToFrench wrote:
2- After having Drag & paste the folder containing the two documents

So you didn't add a document, but a folder with two documents? I don't think you can do that. You can start a project with a folder, but later on, you can only add documents. As per the Menu, Project > Add Document...

Cheers,

Hans

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Adding a folder is possible... Aug 27, 2015

... if you enable it by checking the top right box. I didn't know that. And I'm still not sure if you can add a folder that way to an existing project. And I'm not going to try. I'll wait for the experts...

Cheers,

Hans

[Edited at 2015-08-27 14:27 GMT]

ToFrench
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Maybe you could help. Aug 27, 2015

Michael Beijer wrote:

As far as I can see, there is nothing wrong with CafeTran on your Mac, you are just doing basic things wrong, which is making it seem like the program is unstable or that it doesn't work properly.

Michael

I am sure I am doing something terribly wrong, it would be really useful if you could tell me what it is since you noticed it...

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there anyone using Cafetran on a Mac?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »