Stefanie Weeber
Stefanie Weeber
Germany
Local time: 22:05
English to German
+ ...
Apr 29, 2015

Hello,

I'm totally new to CafeTran and have played around with it for a while now. I'm currently using MemoQ, but I want to free my Mac from Parallels and therefore I'm hoping to find a CAT tool that I can use with my Mac.

What I loved in MemoQ was the feature that you could add additional infos to a term, such as client, subject, project etc.

Now that I have quite a huge termbase I was wondering if it is somehow possible to import all this additional infor
... See more
Hello,

I'm totally new to CafeTran and have played around with it for a while now. I'm currently using MemoQ, but I want to free my Mac from Parallels and therefore I'm hoping to find a CAT tool that I can use with my Mac.

What I loved in MemoQ was the feature that you could add additional infos to a term, such as client, subject, project etc.

Now that I have quite a huge termbase I was wondering if it is somehow possible to import all this additional information to a glossary in CafeTran.

I've seen that it is possible to import an Excel file (2 columns) and later on adjust the additional fields. But that would leave me working on my termbases for quite a long time if I have to enter all this information manually.

Is there a way to also import this additional information in one single step?

Thanks a lot in advance for any answers!

Stefanie

[Bearbeitet am 2015-04-29 18:32 GMT]
Collapse

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Michael is our multi-field glossary expert Apr 29, 2015

Hello,

Michael has made the same migration (from memoQ to CafeTran) and he can and will tell you all about these extra fields, which actually are quite easy to add.

Please have a little patience, since he's become a father yesterday .

In the meantime we could skype: alinea-doc.

Hans

[Edited at 2015-04-29 20:46 GMT]

Stefanie Weeber
Stefanie Weeber
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Vielen Dank Apr 29, 2015

Hello Hans,

vielen Dank für Deine Rückmeldung

And thanks for the info that there is someone out there who could help me with the transition and the import!

I'd say that we, under these circumstance, we give Michael some time as a new father and I'll be patiently waiting for his response.

I really hope that CafeTran will satisfy all my needs (which expanded over the years) and t
... See more
Hello Hans,

vielen Dank für Deine Rückmeldung

And thanks for the info that there is someone out there who could help me with the transition and the import!

I'd say that we, under these circumstance, we give Michael some time as a new father and I'll be patiently waiting for his response.

I really hope that CafeTran will satisfy all my needs (which expanded over the years) and that I have finally found a tool that I could use with my Mac.

Kind regards
Stefanie
Collapse

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 04:05
English to Indonesian
+ ...
But don't ask me how... May 1, 2015

Stefanie Weeber wrote:
Now that I have quite a huge termbase I was wondering if it is somehow possible to import all this additional information to a glossary in CafeTran.

I don't know about tab delimited text files ("glossaries"), but it is possible in TMX termbases. The latter offer far more features and fine-tuneablity anyway.

The trouble is, I forgot how to do it. I gave up on adding that information more than 15 years ago (and sort of regret it now), so I have numerous termbases by subject.

I think it's possible to import the information in one go, and if not, you can filter on client, subject, etc. and save the filtered data as separate TMX files, only to merge them later.

It would be useful if you could tell me what the file format and the structure of your termbase are. As a Mac pur sang, I have no idea what that Windows app uses.

Cheers,

Hans

Stefanie Weeber
Stefanie Weeber
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Figured it out for the glossaries May 1, 2015

Hi Hans,

I've cleaned up the one glossary that I was using for my tests, exported it from MemoQ, sorted the columns in Excel and added the appropriate headers, then I saved it as a tab del text file and opened it in WT.

Here I then saved it as UTF-8 and Unix(LF).

Then I was able to import this file into CafeTran and had a nice glossary with all the infos.

Now I', working on th
... See more
Hi Hans,

I've cleaned up the one glossary that I was using for my tests, exported it from MemoQ, sorted the columns in Excel and added the appropriate headers, then I saved it as a tab del text file and opened it in WT.

Here I then saved it as UTF-8 and Unix(LF).

Then I was able to import this file into CafeTran and had a nice glossary with all the infos.

Now I', working on the data bases for the translation memories.

I don't know why, but I have a hard time to figure out how things work. For me, it's not really hands on.
I also use all the information that I can find online, but sometimes the screenshots are outdated and then I'm stuck again. But I do my best

Some time I'll get there.

Stefanie

PS: Regarding your suggestion with the tmx files, that works for my translation memories, but I can't export my termbases as a tmx-file.
Collapse

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 04:05
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Import, rather than export May 1, 2015

Stefanie Weeber wrote:
PS: Regarding your suggestion with the tmx files, that works for my translation memories, but I can't export my termbases as a tmx-file.

But you can import tab del glossaries and Excel files into a TMX termbase.

Cheers,

Hans

2nl (X)
Netherlands
Migrating memoQ termbases to CafeTran May 1, 2015

Hello Stefanie,

Here is a new article:

http://cafetran.wikidot.com/migrating-memoq-termbases

Cheers,

Hans

2nl (X)
Netherlands
Outdated info in the wiki May 1, 2015

Stefanie Weeber wrote:

I also use all the information that I can find online, but sometimes the screenshots are outdated and then I'm stuck again. But I do my best

Yes, I'm sorry for that. It's just too much work to manage in my spare free time.

Luckily Igor has announced yesterday to start working on the Help too. We're currently discussing migrating it to Help and Manual, which would allow an export as PDF too.

I'm a translator (DE >NL), not a technical writer for English .

Stefanie Weeber
Stefanie Weeber
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry May 1, 2015

Hi Hans,

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to insult you. In fact, I think that all the information that can be found online is very extensive!!!

But I've seen your link regarding the migration. GREAT!!!

After lunch I'll try this immediately.

Thanks a lot.

Stefanie

2nl (X)
Netherlands
Misunderstanding May 1, 2015

Stefanie Weeber wrote:

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to insult you.

No Stefanie, I didn't take that the wrong way. You are right: the wiki needs to be either updated or to be migrated to a new structure.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Importing additional fields in glossary

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »