Thread poster: Erik Freitag
Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 01:22
English to Turkish
+ ...
java settings Feb 19, 2015

Michael will possibly provide detailed information again but until then I will try to answer.

I am on a 32 bit system but possibly it will be better on your system to uninstall the 32 bit version and keep the 64 only (provided that there is no other application using the 32 bit version).

In Cafetran in order to assign RAM, go to Edit > Options > Memory > Java Memory Size

You can assign more, 8192 for instan
... See more
Michael will possibly provide detailed information again but until then I will try to answer.

I am on a 32 bit system but possibly it will be better on your system to uninstall the 32 bit version and keep the 64 only (provided that there is no other application using the 32 bit version).

In Cafetran in order to assign RAM, go to Edit > Options > Memory > Java Memory Size

You can assign more, 8192 for instance but set the Xms value as well. See https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/cafetranslators/SoiAJ88s3ww

On my system the config file to set the Xms value is located at:
C:\Program Files\CafeTran Espresso\cafetran\cafetran.conf

It is -Xms256m -Xmx1024m on my system due to limited RAM, but your computer is powerful and -Xms256 -Xmx8192m is ok for you.

A TM with 468 mb is not big for CT

[Edited at 2015-02-19 11:08 GMT]
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
Quick Start Guide Feb 19, 2015

Igor, I believe some basic information, e.g. on Java settings, will be helpful to new users. Perhaps a PDF file can be included in the installer zip file.

Selcuk

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:22
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Java Ram Feb 19, 2015

Dear Selcuk,

I'm sorry if I confused "assigning RAM to CT" with "assigning RAM to Java" - I though these might be two different things.

I had already assigned 4096 to Java, but CT still was sluggish, so I though there must be something else going on.

Regards,
Erik

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:22
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
some ideas Feb 19, 2015

Erik Freitag wrote:

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Hi Erik,

What is your operating system, if Windows 32 or 64 bit. How much total RAM and how much assigned to CafeTran. And if 64 bit, are you using 64 bit version of Java?

And what is the size of your TM, either the number of segments or megabytes.

Selcuk

Dear Selcuk,

I'm using Win7, 64 bit. In the system manager, I can see "Java 8 update 31" and "Java 8 update 31 (64-bit)", I've got no idea how to check which one is being used. Should I just deinstall the regular version?

My PC has 16GB of RAM. I can't remember to actually have assigned RAM to CafeTran (how do I do that?). In the task manager, I can't find CafeTran anywhere. The task manager informs me that 56% of the physical memory is used.

In CT, the Java memory size is set to 4096.

My "big mama" SDLTM is 468MB.

Thanks for your help!

Kind regards,
Erik

How to tell which version of Java you are running CT in (using Process Explorer on Windows 7 64-bit):

some_text

Not sure whether it is safe to uninstall the other Java, as you might have other programs on your computer using it.

4096 MB should be fine for you at the moment, given your RAM and requirements.

Hmm, your big mama SDLTM is 468 MB. That's most likely what's causing the trouble. I know that might not seem like much (in the grand scheme of things it is in fact a tiny TMX), but in CT (and many other CAT tools) that counts as a fairly big TM.

(1) One question: so are you using your big mama as a .sdltm or as a .tmx when you have these problems?

(2) One thing to check is your TM settings. If you are using a TMX, when you open it, you can set settings:

some_text

With a TM of that size, make sure you have it set to Fuzzy, and not Fuzzy & Hits. Fuzzy & Hits means CT is doing a lot of guessing, and this can slow everything down with a big TM.

(3) If you already have it set to Fuzzy, and it is still slow, there are other things you can try. One of them is setting "Workflow integration" from "Automatic" to "Pretranslation".

some_text

This will make CT speed ahead and pretranslate further segments, so that when you get to them there is no wait.

Try these things. If they don't solve it, the next trick to use to get big TMs working nicely is to use (4) "Total Recall" (create a new database "Table", import your big mama into this, and then run Total Recall > Recall segments to memory and/or Translation > Pretranslate all segments).

Michael

PS: removing a TM from a project is as easy as closing its tab. That ought to do it.

[Edited at 2015-02-19 11:33 GMT]

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
Java RAM Feb 19, 2015

Now this is beyond my knowledge, please wait for Igor or others to reply.

Selcuk

Erik Freitag
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 19, 2015

Thanks to you all, very much appreciated!

Michael, I'm going to play with these settings and let you know. However, I will be back to Studio for the rest of the day due to pressing "real world" jobs.

Michael Beijer wrote:

PS: removing a TM from a project is as easy as closing its tab. That ought to do it.

Yes, I guessed as much, but it's back every time I reopen the project.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
deselect it in the Dashboard Feb 19, 2015

Erik Freitag wrote:

Thanks to you all, very much appreciated!

Michael, I'm going to play with these settings and let you know. However, I will be back to Studio for the rest of the day due to pressing "real world" jobs.

Michael Beijer wrote:

Yes, I guessed as much, but it's back every time I reopen the project.

If it's back every time you open the project, you need to deselect it in the Dashboard in the "Translation Memories" or "Resources" section. That should do it.

Michael

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 05:22
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Switchers Feb 19, 2015

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:
Igor, I believe some basic information, e.g. on Java settings, will be helpful to new users

The problem is, that there's a lot of "basic information." I recently wrote a very short "CT for Switchers" that hardly deals with software settings, but may be useful anyhow. For some. Maybe.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2184204/CT/CT%20for%20Switchers.pdf

Cheers,

Hans

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Nope Feb 19, 2015

Michael Beijer wrote:
If it's back every time you open the project, you need to deselect it in the Dashboard in the "Translation Memories" or "Resources" section. That should do it.

I doubt it. It's saved in the XLF file.

Cheers,

Hans

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
AA is the problem Feb 19, 2015

Michael Beijer wrote:
Hmm, your big mama SDLTM is 468 MB. That's most likely what's causing the trouble.

468 MB is fine for search,* but it's too big for Auto-Assembly, even if you assign 10 GB to CT.

A very short screencast showing the difference in search times for a large TMX file and the very same file (the 2 million segments DGT) as an indexed External Database: file:///Users/hans/Documents/Dropbox/Public/CT/TMX%20vs%20Total%20Recall%20Search.swf
(8 GB assigned to CT)

Cheers,

Hans

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
RFE Feb 19, 2015

Meta Arkadia wrote:

Michael Beijer wrote:

I doubt it. It's saved in the XLF file.

Cheers,

Hans

Indeed, you're right. Sounds like a RFE (request for enhancement) to me.

Michael

EDITED TO ADD: Just tried it again and it works. Restart the project, deselect a resource in the dashboard, and it should not be opened next time you open the project.

[Edited at 2015-02-19 16:24 GMT]

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Open XLF Feb 20, 2015

Michael Beijer wrote:
Restart the project, deselect a resource in the dashboard, and it should not be opened next time you open the project.

But of course that works. You opened the XLF file first. But when you launch CT and uncheck the resources in the dashboard, it won't work for an existing project, because the XLF file hasn't been opened yet, and the resource data have been saved in that very XLF file.

Cheers,

Hans

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
The Dashboard Feb 20, 2015

An additional - potential - problem concerning the dashboard and resources, is that checked resources all have the same settings. That ruins my workflow, although it may come in handy for people who always do the same kind of jobs, with the same resources, and the same settings for those resources. I therefore start a new project with unchecking all resources except for the ProjectTM.

An example: If I set my ProjectTM to:
- Translation Memory
- Terms Consistency Check... See more
An additional - potential - problem concerning the dashboard and resources, is that checked resources all have the same settings. That ruins my workflow, although it may come in handy for people who always do the same kind of jobs, with the same resources, and the same settings for those resources. I therefore start a new project with unchecking all resources except for the ProjectTM.

An example: If I set my ProjectTM to:
- Translation Memory
- Terms Consistency Check
- Processing Tags
- High priority
- Automatic
- Fuzzy and Hits
- Keep Newer Duplicates

ALL checked translation memories for segments (so in the same column of the Dashboard) will "follow" those settings. To avoid this, I'll have to set them the "old" way, via the Menu. A counter-example for my ProjectTM would be the DGT, which I set to Translation Memory, Read Only, Low Priority, Manual workflow because I don't want to "pollute" it with my translation it should be Read Only, Consistency Check would take to long (and trigger too many false hits), and so does the Automatic workflow. No need for tag checking either, and priority is N/A for manual search.

My preferred solution would be to save the settings for each resource separately and fixed, because I rarely (never?) use other settings for the same resource. But I don't know if this goes for everybody, and I'm not sure it's feasible.

The Dashboard looks good, though.

Cheers,

Hans

[Edited at 2015-02-20 04:25 GMT]
Collapse

Erik Freitag
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More questions Feb 20, 2015

Dear all,

I've fiddled a bit with some of the settings, but not all. I've removed Java 32 bit. Things seem to have improved a bit. Still sluggish compared to Studio.

New question: Is it true that I can't edit or delete notes that I've attached to segments? Seriously?

Kind regards,
Erik

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Notes Feb 20, 2015

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/cafetranslators/Pwi6_uYE1_w

Cheers,

Hans

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to convert Studio TMs to CafeTran?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »