Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Which CAT tool can load two Excel columns into the grid?
Thread poster: 2nl (X)
2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:40
Nov 24, 2014

Currently the handling of Excel files in CafeTran is overhauled (release is scheduled for December). Many new features will be added (based on users' requests). I was wondering, which CAT tool can currently load two Excel columns into the grid?

In other words: which CAT tool can load column B of an Excel file into the source side of the translation grid and column R into the target side?

Is there already a CAT tool available that can do this?

Thanks,
... See more
Currently the handling of Excel files in CafeTran is overhauled (release is scheduled for December). Many new features will be added (based on users' requests). I was wondering, which CAT tool can currently load two Excel columns into the grid?

In other words: which CAT tool can load column B of an Excel file into the source side of the translation grid and column R into the target side?

Is there already a CAT tool available that can do this?

Thanks,

Hans
Collapse

Minh Nguyen
Minh Nguyen  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 04:40
English to Vietnamese
memoQ Nov 24, 2014

hi Hans,

The feature was introduced in memoQ since v6.2. When? maybe less than 2 years ago

LD

[Edited at 2014-11-24 18:21 GMT]

Hermann Bruns
Hermann Bruns  Identity Verified
English to German
Easy workaround: Export the worksheet as text file Nov 24, 2014

Hi Hans,

there is an easy workaround for the issue that should work for many TM tools.

Just copy the two columns with the source text and the translation into columns A and B of a new Excel worksheet, then export the worksheet as text file (tab-separated, or semicolon-separated). Such a text file can be imported by most TM tools, I guess. One TM tool that can import such text files is MetaTexis for Word.

Cheers
Hermann

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
If the file can be csv... Nov 24, 2014

... or txt tab delimited it's been in Studio since day 1.

Regards

Paul

[Edited at 2014-11-24 18:26 GMT]

Minh Nguyen
Vietnam
English to Vietnamese
Filter Nov 24, 2014

I am sure Hans is not looking for a workaround. He wants to know what tools have a "native/built-in" filter which can do the job without using the copy-paste solution.

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Or rather Nov 24, 2014

linhdan wrote:

I am sure Hans is not looking for a workaround. He wants to know what tools have a "native/built-in" filter which can do the job without using the copy-paste solution.

I rather think that Hans is looking for another opportunity to promote his favourite CAT tool, as this seems to be what the majority of his posts are about...

Minh Nguyen
Vietnam
English to Vietnamese
Exactly Nov 24, 2014

Erik Freitag wrote:

linhdan wrote:

I rather think that Hans is looking for another opportunity to promote his favourite CAT tool, as this seems to be what the majority of his posts are about...

What I meaned.

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:40
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Probably true, but understandable Nov 24, 2014

Erik, I suspect this to be true, but I usually find his (justifiable) pride and enthusiasm refreshing.

I also think it's important that we have Davids to battle the Goliaths of our industry and CafeTran seems to fulfil that role admirably. A kind of public service, if you will.

Dan

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
I don't mind very much, but Nov 24, 2014

Dan Lucas wrote:

Erik, I suspect this to be true, but I usually find his (justifiable) pride and enthusiasm refreshing.

I also think it's important that we have Davids to battle the Goliaths of our industry and CafeTran seems to fulfil that role admirably. A kind of public service, if you will.

Dan

I don't mind this very much (although to me this behaviour seems more like covered advertising than like genuine user enthusiasm).

The problem is of course that if proz tolerates this kind of behaviour, which at some point can be seen as an attempt to circumvent the prohibition of advertising in the fora, it will be difficult to prevent other (and even major) suppliers to do the same.

2nl (X)
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
Actually it was a real question ... Nov 24, 2014

True, I'm a happy user of CafeTran. In this case, however, I really wanted to know which CAT tool can directly load two columns of an Excel table as source and target language respectively (without any manipulation, deletion or conversion). I would then have a look at the way how it is implemented, because this is something I need quite often.

As a matter of fact I'm not sure at all whether this will be possible in the next release of CafeTran. I did request it long ago, but alas no
... See more
True, I'm a happy user of CafeTran. In this case, however, I really wanted to know which CAT tool can directly load two columns of an Excel table as source and target language respectively (without any manipulation, deletion or conversion). I would then have a look at the way how it is implemented, because this is something I need quite often.

As a matter of fact I'm not sure at all whether this will be possible in the next release of CafeTran. I did request it long ago, but alas not all my requests are honoured .
Collapse

2nl (X)
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
Link to the Help? Nov 24, 2014

linhdan wrote:

The feature was introduced in memoQ since v6.2. When? maybe less than 2 years ago

I'd be grateful for a link to the relevant section of the Help.

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Not sure whether I understand your question correctly Nov 24, 2014

Do you want to leave one column with the original language and put your translation in another one?

If yes, WordfastPro can do this. I have used this feature several times, following a video of Dominique (thank you, Dominque!).

HTH

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Wordfast Pro can't do what Hans proposes Nov 24, 2014

Christel Zipfel wrote:
Do you want to leave one column with the original language and put your translation in another one? ... If yes, WordfastPro can do this.

If you have the source text in column A and you have existing target text in column Z for some of the rows, then Wordfast Pro cannot open the Excel file in such a way that it loads the source text from column A and load the existing translations from column Z.

The only thing WFP can do is to load the source text from column A and put the translation into column Z (which will overwrite any existing content in column Z).

If I understand correctly, MemoQ is actually able to do this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8wniM7UTUg

2nl (X)
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
memoQ can do it /SOLVED Nov 25, 2014

Samuel Murray wrote:

If I understand correctly, MemoQ is actually able to do this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8wniM7UTUg

Thank you very much! memoQ can indeed do what I need. Many thanks for providing the link!

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:40
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
CafeTran has a brand new Excel import filter! Nov 28, 2014

Woohoo! Just got back from a few days in Bruges, and came home to find that Igor has greatly improved CafeTran's Excel import filter!

CT can now do all the things mentioned in this thread (and possibly more):

http://cafetranhelp.com//translating-multilingual-excel-files

Michael

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which CAT tool can load two Excel columns into the grid?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »