CT is passion-driven
Thread poster: 2nl (X)
2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:43
Jul 1, 2014

CT is often being called a 'hobby project'. Personally, I think that a hobby is something beautiful and inspiring, but to some it may sound like the opposite of a professional enterprise. Therefore, I think it's better to call CT a passion project.

CT is driven by passion to write small, fast and stable code, which is platform-independent. CT is driven by the wish to follow a so-called ‘Cessna approach’ (small and elegant, perfectly suited for its task) rather than to get lost
... See more
CT is often being called a 'hobby project'. Personally, I think that a hobby is something beautiful and inspiring, but to some it may sound like the opposite of a professional enterprise. Therefore, I think it's better to call CT a passion project.

CT is driven by passion to write small, fast and stable code, which is platform-independent. CT is driven by the wish to follow a so-called ‘Cessna approach’ (small and elegant, perfectly suited for its task) rather than to get lost in a labyrinthine Joint Strike Fighter project.

CT is about listening to users' ideas and requests while still focusing on lean and stable code.

CT is not primarily driven by a desire to increase revenue or to obtain as many users as possible at any cost. When I first heard this, I didn't understand it either. Now, however, it makes complete sense to me, having learned a little about what motivates Igor. And I congratulate him on his free and independent mind.

CT is about passion to write code. I think this is the best guarantee for continuity. CT will be there in the future – even if the installed user base stays small compared to that of Studio or memoQ. For me that's not relevant. For me, the fact that CT’s developer is a happy coder (in the same that I am a happy translator) is the most important reason to choose CT in the long term.

As much as CT’s developer believes in lean code, he rejects the powers of marketing. Being a translator himself, he is actually convinced that translators don't need propaganda but can choose their own tools based on personal preferences and needs.

CT doesn't need a fancy website with sterile stock photos or resource-heavy graphics or features.

What CT does need, however, is better documentation, although I understand Igor's decision to focus on coding rather than on describing.

Personally, I'm totally convinced that CT will be there in future. Igor will just not give up writing beautiful software that is driven by our needs as independent translators.

Igor told me once that he is aiming at creating the best tool for translators. How about that for a driving force? Here is somebody who doesn't say: in five years from now, I want to be CEO of a multimillion euro (if it’s still around) company and drive a Ferrari. Well, actually I'm not so sure about the Ferrari.

As much as we expect to be treated with respect as translators, I think by his hard work over the last years and by the results of this hard work, Igor deserves our respect. Calling his work a 'hobby project' in a negative sense is just not doing him justice.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CT is passion-driven

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »