Mac users now can use Spotlight for fast TM searching
Thread poster: 2nl (X)
2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:13
Dec 7, 2013

Dear CafeTranslators (on OS X),

Now there is a way to query large TMs (either in TMX format or converted to smaller, easier to read tab-delimited text files) with Spotlight (the built-in indexer of OS X).

http://cafetran.wikidot.com/using-spotlight-to-search-tms

The Help article contains a link to a video.

Hans

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:13
Finnish to French
Desktop Search Tool vs. regular concordance search, Windows users Dec 8, 2013

Is this approach meant to be used with TM's not included for concordance search with the tool's built-in function? Or is there a particular benefit in using the Desktop Search Tool interface rather than the regular concordance search?

How about Windows users? What would be the recommended way for them to do the same as what you described for Mac users?

2nl (X)
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
On Windows: use TMlookup Dec 8, 2013

Dominique Pivard wrote:

How about Windows users? What would be the recommended way for them to do the same as what you described for Mac users?

That's the easy part to answer: as of January 2014 Windows users can use TMlookup. This is a free tool, created by András Farkas, that can search very large TMX files very fast. Users have to import their TMX files into a database.

The first question will be answered later (since I'm waiting for some answers to my own questions too).

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 17:13
English to Indonesian
+ ...
find and grep? Dec 8, 2013

2nl wrote:
as of January 2014 Windows users can use TMlookup.

I'm not much of a Windows expert, but I think Windows users can already benefit from the new feature by using commands like "find" and "grep". And Linux users can use it as well, of course.

Cheers,

Hans

[Edited at 2013-12-08 12:51 GMT]

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:13
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Hi Hans, Dec 8, 2013

Meta Arkadia wrote:

2nl wrote:
as of January 2014 Windows users can use TMlookup.

I'm not much of a Windows expert, but I think Windows users can already benefit from the new feature by using commands like "find" and "grep". And Linux users can use it as well, of course.

Cheers,

Hans

[Edited at 2013-12-08 12:51 GMT]

I’m not expert when it comes to the Windows command line, but find and findstr do work fine, also from inside CT, using the new 'Terminal Tool' integration.

I’m currently playing around with FINDSTR, and seeing if it is linked to the Windows (indexed) search system.

Michael

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
limit the search results in FIND of FINDSTR? Dec 8, 2013

Anyone know how to limit the search results in FIND of FINDSTR?

Michael

PS: See also: http://superuser.com/questions/685588/two-questions-about-findstr-and-find-on-windows-8 (where I asked this question again)

[Edited at 2013-12-09 11:01 GMT]

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 17:13
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Benefits Dec 8, 2013

Dominique Pivard wrote:
Is this approach meant to be used with TM's not included for concordance search with the tool's built-in function? Or is there a particular benefit in using the Desktop Search Tool interface rather than the regular concordance search?

I think there are benefits, Dominique. Quite a few, and very important and useful ones.

Of course you can attach TMs to the CafeTran project, an unlimited number of them. For me, this new feature is mainly about the TMs you don't attach to the project.
For example, I use project/subject specific glossaries/lexicons, and over time, I collected about a hundred of them. I attach the relevant glossary to the project of course, but if my glossary doesn't show a relevant hit during auto-asemble, and if other attached resources (TMs, termbases, Internet resources, and whathaveyous) don't show results, I can now search the glossaries I haven't attached. All of them in one go. Fast. And the results will show up in the CafeTran user interface, so I'll only have to select the relevant result (no need to copy/paste), and it's automagically inserted in my target language pane.

And I don't have to limit my search to a file. I can search a folder, or even the whole HDD.

Another benefit becomes obvious when you work with (very) large files (I'm talking GBs here). You don't have to load them in your project, they won't eat away your RAM, and it's still blistering fast.

Undoubtedly other benefits will show up, but we're only starting using it.

Cheers,

Hans

[Edited at 2013-12-09 00:03 GMT]

Igor Kmitowski
Igor Kmitowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
Binding with desktop search tools Dec 9, 2013

Hello Dominique,

The Desktop Search Tool interface in CafeTran is not only meant for searching huge TMX files quickly. Actually, you can search for any text straight from the CT interface using either specialized tools (such as Copernic on the Windows system, for example) or via the operating system built-in search commands (find on Windows, grep on Linux and Mac). I hope users will accommodate this feature to their specific needs.

Cheers,
Igor

Dominique Pivard wrote:

2nl (X)
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
New movie Dec 10, 2013

Michael has sent me a tab-delimited file that contains 29,155,531 lines (= TUs from exported TMX files).

All I did was place this huge file (6.6 GB) in my DST folder, to have Spotlight index it (in very little time).

You can watch a movie with amazing results: http://youtu.be/Rffl2R6v9UE

2nl (X)
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
Split up your large files Dec 11, 2013

It looks like you have to split up your very large files in smaller parts, in order to have Spotlight index them.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Hmm Dec 11, 2013

I wonder if this is the problem I have been having on Windows: maybe that's why FIND and FINDSTR aren’t using the Windows indexing system: because the Windows indexing system isn't indexing my large txt files.

I'll split them up into little chunks when I have a moment and report back.

Michael

2nl (X)
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
It works on a Mac Dec 11, 2013

Michael Beijer wrote:

I'll split them up into little chunks when I have a moment and report back.

Michael

I had to do this on my Mac too. As it turned out, Spotlight only indexes a) small files or b) the first part of big files. Nevertheless, it is solved now:

http://cafetran.wikidot.com/using-spotlight-to-search-tms

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mac users now can use Spotlight for fast TM searching

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »