Thread poster: Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Oct 15, 2012

Hi,

At the moment Igor is working very hard on finishing the brand-new october build. What I find quite amusing, is that besides all this hard work he now and then finds time to add a little gem.

Somewhere next year, Igor will devote a new build to support for Excel. So ample time for us to muse about our wish list for the Excel filter.

What would you like to see covered in the improved Excel filter?

Hans

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 01:30
Spanish to English
+ ...
Wish upon a bar Oct 16, 2012

I wish that Excel had a reliable word counting option, which could distinguish between words and numbers/other symbols... and that it were easier to select/copy/paste columns or rows.

Yesterday I had an XLS file which came up with several different final wordcounts depending on the SW or method used to calculate it. Basically, I wish that people would stop using Excel for texts needing processing/translating, since that's not what it's supposed to be for AFAIK.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
All that counts ... Oct 16, 2012

neilmac wrote:

Yesterday I had an XLS file which came up with several different final wordcounts depending on the SW or method used to calculate it.

This is not unique for Excel:
http://www.interpres.de/en/mitarbeiter/zeilen-zahlen

Basically, I wish that people would stop using Excel for texts needing processing/translating, since that's not what it's supposed to be for AFAIK.

I have to translate lots of strings for automation of machines. They come as CSV or XLS files, since the programming software spits them out that way. Consistency and productivity is only possible with a CAT tool .

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Here's a thought Oct 16, 2012

Hans Lenting wrote:
Somewhere next year, Igor will devote a new build to support for Excel. So ample time for us to muse about our wish list for the Excel filter.

Well, if you're looking for something to do, how about this:
http://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/235193-in_which_cat_tool_can_i_select_specific_excel_columns.html

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Already noticed Oct 16, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:

Hans Lenting wrote:

Well, if you're looking for something to do, how about this:
http://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/235193-in_which_cat_tool_can_i_select_specific_excel_columns.html

Yeah, that one has already been noticed.

BTW: What is your default/favorite CAT tool. Is that OmegaT or Wf? Did you ever try CafeTran?

Hans

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I'm a WFC user Oct 16, 2012

Hans Lenting wrote:
BTW: What is your default/favorite CAT tool. Is that OmegaT or Wf? Did you ever try CafeTran?

I use WFC for everything, and OmegaT for everything else, unless it is a specific file format, in which case I use the file format's tool at the start and end of my translation. I gave CafeTran a spin once or twice. I'll consider switching after Yves is dead.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
You still work in Word Oct 16, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:

I use WFC for everything, and OmegaT for everything else, unless it is a specific file format, in which case I use the file format's tool at the start and end of my translation. I gave CafeTran a spin once or twice. I'll consider switching after Yves is dead.

Okay, you still work in Word most of the times. Let's hope Yves will be among us for long ...

Cheerio,

Hans

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:30
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Word-based CAT tools are so 1999. Oct 16, 2012

I can't help but wonder why/how people still work in Word-based CAT tools. Since I don't do so myself, it's hard for me to imagine, but when I think of all the things you can do in the memoQ translation grid...

A couple of things that immediately spring to mind:

– how do you quickly filter on a (source of target) phrase across several files in a project?
– don't you miss having a little window open with hits from your TMs and TBs?
– don't you miss
... See more
I can't help but wonder why/how people still work in Word-based CAT tools. Since I don't do so myself, it's hard for me to imagine, but when I think of all the things you can do in the memoQ translation grid...

– how do you quickly filter on a (source of target) phrase across several files in a project?
– don't you miss having all source terms that are present in your glossary highlighted?

Michael
Collapse

Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
find+replace across several files Oct 16, 2012

I like the sound of your first point, I wish Wordfast and Trados could do that. WFC has both the other two features.

Olly

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 02:30
English to Turkish
+ ...
requested features Oct 16, 2012

- Optional import of sheet names (additional setting: sheet names longer than 31/255? characters, 31 for xls files)

- Text import from embedded objects

- Import order of columns/rows, e.g.

A1, A2, A3, B1, B2, B3
or
A1, B1, A2, B2, A3, B3

- Optional import of one (or more sheets) by sheet name.

- Optional import of one (or more columns/rows) from a workbook/sheet. Setting to define them in import wizard.

-
... See more
- Optional import of sheet names (additional setting: sheet names longer than 31/255? characters, 31 for xls files)

- Text import from embedded objects

- Import order of columns/rows, e.g.

A1, A2, A3, B1, B2, B3
or
A1, B1, A2, B2, A3, B3

- Optional import of one (or more sheets) by sheet name.

- Optional import of one (or more columns/rows) from a workbook/sheet. Setting to define them in import wizard.

- Optional import of Comments, Headers & Footers

- Optional import of Hidden Columns, Rows, Cells, Sheets)

- Optional do-not-import text with certain formatting (it could be red but please note that there are 2 accents of red in Excel 2007)

- Support for XML Spreadsheets (even those with xls/xlsx extensions)

- Support for bilingual/multilingual Excel files (e.g. Source Column A, Translation Column B, import translations from Column B). And if possible import Column C Comments as notes. Sure import all with formatting.

I will make additions to this list.

Selcuk

[Edited at 2012-10-16 16:16 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Michael Oct 16, 2012

Michael Beijer wrote:
I can't help but wonder why/how people still work in Word-based CAT tools. ... when I think of all the things you can do in the memoQ translation grid...

The great thing about Word-based CAT tools is that your entire translation environment is a single canvas. There is no grid. No GRID. Just canvas.

Of course, it also means that there is grid, so you don't have the advantages that comes from working in a grid (e.g. applying a search filter, or sorting/grouping segments by type or status).

Yes, this is a problem unless you glue the files together. But if a project has more than e.g. 5 files in it, I tend to go for the extract-and-glue approach anyway (that's where OmegaT often comes in). And there are macros that allow one to do find/replace or concordance/context searches across multiple files, although I don't really use them.

Nope... I really don't miss it (for TM, that is). In WFC, the highest match is automatically in my target field, and I can cycle through additional matches by pressing a single keyboard shortcut. So although I can't see multiple matches at the same time, I can see them one after the other in quick succession, and each time I see them I see them in the same place as I would translate.

I do miss having such a window for TB -- but that is not a grid versus non-grid issue. Nothing prevents the WFC developer to come up with a feature that opens a new Word file in the background that contains all the current segment's glossary matches in it... or to let there be a box above or below the current segment that pops up with all the glossary matches in it.

– don't you miss having all source terms that are present in your glossary highlighted?

No, I would go crazy if that were the case. Seeing the source terms highlighted in the current segment is enough for me.

[Edited at 2012-10-16 17:24 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Filtering is a very powerful feature indeed Oct 16, 2012

Michael Beijer wrote:

Filtering indeed is a feature that I don't want to miss anymore. It is crucial for me to be able to search for all source segments that contain X and then filter further for all target segments where I translated X with Y, not with Z. (This is more flexible than black-lists.)

Luckily CafeTran's october build will offer this filtering too (unveiling one of the gems I wrote about yesterday).

Also crucial for me is sorting segments alphabetically – which isn't possible in Word based CAT tools either. I'll have to ask in the SDL forum if Studio can do this – I missed it this afternoon at tea time.

Hans

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Interesting features Oct 16, 2012

Thanks, Selcuk!

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Does Wf Classic create a rich TMX? Oct 17, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:

I use WFC for everything, and OmegaT for everything else, unless it is a specific file format, in which case I use the file format's tool at the start and end of my translation. I gave CafeTran a spin once or twice.

Last time I looked, Wf Classic didn't use a rich TMX. There was one setting, to store tag positions (like in CafeTran). Is this still valid?

Hans

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Treatment of \n Oct 17, 2012

Additions:

- Represent \n as a real hard return in CafeTran, put it back in the XLSX file on export.
- Treat placeholders {1}, {2} as tags in CafeTran, put them back on export.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Add your wishes for the Excel filter

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »