Thread poster: Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 01:57
English to Turkish
+ ...
Oct 15, 2012

I wonder what CafeTran can do with bilingual/multilingual Excel (xlsx) files. For a similar discussion please see http://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/235193-in_which_cat_tool_can_i_select_specific_excel_columns.html

Selcuk

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
needs a lot of improvement Oct 15, 2012

Segments are divided even at two consecutive white spaces.
Segments are divided at formatting changes (regular text bold text results in 2 segments)
Hidden columns are imported.
There are no additional settings for xlsx files

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
CafeTran's handling of Excel files isn't its best feature indeed Oct 15, 2012

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Segments are divided even at two consecutive white spaces.
Segments are divided at formatting changes (regular text bold text results in 2 segments)

Hi Selcuk,

All the above should be fixed ASAP indeed.

Hidden columns are imported.

True. A request to ignore red cells and locked cells from import has been filed some time ago.

There are no additional settings for xlsx files

True. But there is one new feature (not public, I guess):

If you have to translate cells with text that is surrounded by the tags <text> and </text> these tags aren't imported.

Please feel free to write Igor what you need in this regard. I have only one vote.

Cheers,

Hans

[Bearbeitet am 2012-10-15 13:35 GMT]

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
red cells Oct 15, 2012

Hi Hans,

CafeTran's word filter is good and I hope Igor will improve xlsx filter as well.

As for the red cells, I receive many sheets with red cells and they need translation, so ignoring them is not helpful for me.

ASAP utilities can select cells based on formatting so something could be made with Excel VBA. CT is a multi-platform tool so it can be difficult but what about a CT toolbar in Excel for such pre-editing works?

Selcuk

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Red Devils Oct 15, 2012

Selcuk,

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

CafeTran's word filter is good and I hope Igor will improve xlsx filter as well.

Indeed. And about improving the Excel filter I'm quite confident Igor will come up with a solution eventually. As with all CAT tool programmers: Igor's time is limited. RFEs can be put higher on the To Do list by voting for them . (And by buying licenses )

As for the red cells, I receive many sheets with red cells and they need translation, so ignoring them is not helpful for me.

That would indeed be an 'entweder, oder' (red and/or locked). Personally I get a lot of Excel files where the cells to be translated are highlighted. And to make it even more complicated: highlighted and empty.

ASAP utilities can select cells based on formatting so something could be made with Excel VBA. CT is a multi-platform tool so it can be difficult but what about a CT toolbar in Excel for such pre-editing works?

I'm no longer a fan of massive preparing of files to be translated. It has become clear to me that I lose a lot a lot of time with these preparations. Especially when I start writing my own macros, yet another working day is lost easily.

I'm more convinced of generic yet flexible solutions, that serve many translators, nowadays.

Hans

[Bearbeitet am 2012-10-15 14:06 GMT]

Igor Kmitowski
Igor Kmitowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 23:57
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
Clipboard workflow for multilingual Excel files Nov 5, 2012

Hi all,

Finally, I have found some time to ponder the interesting question raised by Selcuk and check if CafeTran has some answer to it. It turns out that the solution is quite simple, or perhaps too simple. You need to create the Clipboard workflow project. The steps would be:

1. Run CT and press Translate through system clipboard.
2. In the Project info panel press Options and change the Segmentation to Paragraph. It will make the program segment the source text
... See more
Hi all,

Finally, I have found some time to ponder the interesting question raised by Selcuk and check if CafeTran has some answer to it. It turns out that the solution is quite simple, or perhaps too simple. You need to create the Clipboard workflow project. The steps would be:

1. Run CT and press Translate through system clipboard.
2. In the Project info panel press Options and change the Segmentation to Paragraph. It will make the program segment the source text at the cell borders. Press OK to close Options panel and finish creating the project.
3. Next, Press Start translation in the target language toolbar. You will notice the Clipboard tab appear and CafeTran starts listening for the Excel text.
4. Now, go to Excel and select whatever column (or a part of it) you wish and press Copy. At this point, CT captures and segments the Excel source text, which you translate segment after segment in the CT interface.
5. When you finish translating the last segment, CT sends the text automatically back to Excel.
6. In Excel, select a column for the translation and just press Paste. The translated text will fill in the cells of the selected column.
7. You may repeat the cycle as above as many time as you wish.

The simple method lets you also avoid tags during translation. If there is any formatting needed in the Excel target text, you just apply it in Excel during the review phase, which, in my opinion, would take as much time as transferring tags during translation.

Igor

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

I wonder what CafeTran can do with bilingual/multilingual Excel (xlsx) files. For a similar discussion please see http://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/235193-in_which_cat_tool_can_i_select_specific_excel_columns.html

Selcuk
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That method works Nov 21, 2012

Hi Igor,

Clipboard workflow works as you described, text is copied and pasted as plain text but without formatting.

Trados 2007 uses T-window for Clipboard. It is not possible to copy formatting. I have no idea on how it works in Studio 2009/2011. It seems that some users are not happy with that application in SDL OpenExch
... See more
Hi Igor,

Clipboard workflow works as you described, text is copied and pasted as plain text but without formatting.

Trados 2007 uses T-window for Clipboard. It is not possible to copy formatting. I have no idea on how it works in Studio 2009/2011. It seems that some users are not happy with that application in SDL OpenExchange http://www.translationzone.com/en/openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=67#tab3

In DVX2 I use AHK scripts but again formatting is lost.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

bilingual/multilingual excel files

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »