Just did my first Studio 2011 project with CafeTran: no errors!
Thread poster: Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Sep 11, 2012

Yesterday I was invited to upgrade from Studio 2009 to Studio 2011.

Today I did my first 1200 words SDLXLIFF project in CafeTran. Of course I was curious how it would work out in Studio.

- Segment status had already been set to 'Translated' (thanks Igor for this nice feature).
- Studio didn't find any errors.

Great!

Gyula Erdesz
Gyula Erdesz
Hungary
Local time: 08:18
Member (2009)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Trados proprietary formats Oct 9, 2012

Dear Hans,

First of all, thank you for the news about the evolution of Cafetran. I am getting more and more curious of this new software.

My question:
Did you notice any problems with Trados proprietary formats in CafeTran? According to the help of CT, processing of sdlxliff files is not supported and not recommended.

Was the file you mention in your previous post heavily tagged?

Please share your experience with sdlxliff & ttx files.
... See more
Dear Hans,

First of all, thank you for the news about the evolution of Cafetran. I am getting more and more curious of this new software.

My question:
Did you notice any problems with Trados proprietary formats in CafeTran? According to the help of CT, processing of sdlxliff files is not supported and not recommended.

Please share your experience with sdlxliff & ttx files.

Regards,

Gyula
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
A lot of work on the sdlxliff format has been done Oct 9, 2012

Gyula Erdész wrote:

Hi Gyula,

You can forget about the Help. It is completely outdated . Igor focuses on programming, which is a good decision given the current situation.

I have translated quite some sdlxliff projects now, since a former Word documents-only client has migrated to Studio.

All projects, except for one, went just fine. Then there was this project last week that I couldn't load in Studio 2011. It turned out that padlocks in segments were the culprit:

Igor told me that the numbering of these padlocks in source and target isn't corresponding – which would be difficult to program. Well since the guys at Atril and Kilgray did find a solution for this, I'm quite confident that at the end Igor will find a final solution too.

The current situation is like this:

- You either have to use an sdlxliff file with all source segment content copied to the respective target segments. In this case the padlocks will be present in the target (since Studio generated them). CafeTran will protect these padlocks.

- Or you can just extract the target folder file of the sdlxliff package and happily translate it in CafeTran. In that case you'll have to add the padlocks in Studio, however. This is quite easy to do (Crtrl+, and type the text between the padlocks). You'll need Studio for this. IMO these segments with padlocks aren't very frequent.

Today and yesterday I had to work on a Studio file that was created from a very old Word file that probably has been edited with several Word versions. The file has formatting errors in nearly every segment. For instance: spaces between bolded words were marked 'not bold'. This resulted in a 30,000 words sdlxliff with about (roughly estimated) 100,000 tags.

Of course: If I could have created this sdlxliff project myself, I'd have used Dave's CZ – but this wasn't possible (in fact Dave has send me a nice macro to make non-bold spaces between bolded words bold too, thus reducing the number of tags in a newly created sdlxliff gigantic).

After all the hard work in CafeTran the moment of truth arrived this afternoon: the sdlxliff was placed in the nl-NL folder of the corresponding Studio project and could be opened without a problem. Of course in Studio these non-bold spaces weren't visible. So the client will probably not understand what I'm talking about. Unless I show him the sdlxliff file directly ... At the surface the Studio grid looks nice. Down below the sdlxliff is horrible. This is not Studio's fault of course.

So, I'd say to you: go ahead. Try it. But you'll have to ask for the newest build (or wait a couple of days for the public release).

Good luck,

Hans

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Just did my first Studio 2011 project with CafeTran: no errors!

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »