Check/fix spelling on the go
Thread poster: Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 07:35
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Aug 15, 2012

Check/fix spelling used to require "connecting" to one of the Open Office suites. Now it's stand-alone. Does this mean I can disconnect Writer without missing out on other features?
Unfortunately, for one recurring job, Word:mac performs better for saving and showing the source text than Writer, and running two word-processors at the same time seems a waste of resources to me. Can I still "preview" my translation, or export the project as TXT/HTML/TMX without Writer connected? Can I connec
... See more
Check/fix spelling used to require "connecting" to one of the Open Office suites. Now it's stand-alone. Does this mean I can disconnect Writer without missing out on other features?
Unfortunately, for one recurring job, Word:mac performs better for saving and showing the source text than Writer, and running two word-processors at the same time seems a waste of resources to me. Can I still "preview" my translation, or export the project as TXT/HTML/TMX without Writer connected? Can I connect to Word:mac?

Cheers,

Hans
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Great improvement Aug 15, 2012

Meta Arkadia wrote:

Check/fix spelling used to require "connecting" to one of the Open Office suites. Now it's stand-alone.

Great improvement, isn't it? A new build that allows quickly adding words with unknown spelling to the User.dic is on its way:

Does this mean I can disconnect Writer without missing out on other features?

I have indeed closed the connection to OO because:

- I didn't like OO starting in the background every time I started CafeTran.
- I didn't like to run CafeTran in 32-bit mode.

Since then I haven't experienced any problems.

Unfortunately, for one recurring job, Word:mac performs better for saving and showing the source text than Writer

Not sure what you mean here: Do you mean that converting from DOCX to ODT does cause layout problems?

Can I still "preview" my translation, or export the project as TXT/HTML/TMX without Writer connected?

For the TMX part I can confirm that already. TXT and HTML I didn't check yet.

Can I connect to Word:mac?

To use Word as a preview editor, like OOw can show you the source segment in context? Well that would be a nice feature ...

Igor Kmitowski
Igor Kmitowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 02:35
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
CT spelling independent Aug 15, 2012

Hello Hans,

CafeTran does not need any office suite to check spelling "on the go" any more. And you will keep all the functionality of the program if you do not connect to Open(Libre) Office. The Preview document function works with whatever Office suite you have installed in your system. For example, if you work with a MS Word document, the Preview document function will generate so-far done translation and open it in MS Word, and if you translate an Open(Libre)Office document, the
... See more
Hello Hans,

CafeTran does not need any office suite to check spelling "on the go" any more. And you will keep all the functionality of the program if you do not connect to Open(Libre) Office. The Preview document function works with whatever Office suite you have installed in your system. For example, if you work with a MS Word document, the Preview document function will generate so-far done translation and open it in MS Word, and if you translate an Open(Libre)Office document, the Preview will open the current translation in Open(Libre)Office.

BR
Igor
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Check/fix spelling on the go

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »