Strategy for newbie: publishing novel translation
Thread poster: Penelope62
Penelope62
Penelope62
United States
Mar 3, 2018

I am not a professional translator. Decided to try my hand at translating my favorite novel. It does not seem to be available in English. I have a demanding career, so I cannot spend much time on this hobby. Since I have no name as a translator and make very slow progress, I figure it's best for me to translate the whole book before getting rights and trying to find an interested publisher. The novel has been around for decades, so I'm not particularly worried about being scooped on the rights, ... See more
I am not a professional translator. Decided to try my hand at translating my favorite novel. It does not seem to be available in English. I have a demanding career, so I cannot spend much time on this hobby. Since I have no name as a translator and make very slow progress, I figure it's best for me to translate the whole book before getting rights and trying to find an interested publisher. The novel has been around for decades, so I'm not particularly worried about being scooped on the rights, neither do I need to make money on this, although it would be nice. My measure of success is for my husband and son to be able to read the book, publishing it would be the icing on the cake. But I do love icing!

Does translating the book before worrying about rights and pitches sound like a good approach given my circumstances? When I'm done, should I find an agent? If so, how do I find one that works well for translations? Thanks for any advice you can give me.

[Edited at 2018-03-03 15:09 GMT]
Collapse

Sarah Lewis-Morgan
Sarah Lewis-Morgan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:10
Member (2014)
German to English
+ ...
Is it still protected by copyright? Mar 3, 2018

A book remains in copyright until 70 years after the death of the author. If the book is that old, then you can probably do what you want. If not, then you will have to get permission to publish - and then think about agents etc.

Daniel Frisano
Daniel Frisano  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Just publish it Mar 3, 2018

No need to overthink this. Just do it.

From what you say, there won't be much money involved anyway. If the author claims their copyrights, you just reach an amicable agreement.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
But ... Mar 4, 2018

... forget it. I misunderstood the whole thing, I think, sorry.

[Edited at 2018-03-04 12:25 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Strategy for newbie: publishing novel translation

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »