Being freelance and being isolated
Thread poster: savaria (X)
philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
@Harry: Jan 4, 2010

Other than spinning the globe and choosing somewhere at random, I can't think of a better way of choosing your home!

I hope Guadalajara works out, but if it doesn't, I have a very reasonably priced apartment for sale in Tenerife, which has almost exactly the same climate...

Katarina Delic
Katarina Delic  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:57
Member (2008)
English to Serbian
+ ...
Isolation, solitude, peace of mind... Jan 5, 2010

I must admit I envy those of you who feel isolated.
I have two kids - a one-year-old daughter and a two-year-old son, and trust me, loneliness is impossible.
Seriously, it is very difficult to manage work under my circumstances. My husband and I chose not to have someone else look after the kids during the day (they are still too young... we tried nurs
... See more
I must admit I envy those of you who feel isolated.
I have two kids - a one-year-old daughter and a two-year-old son, and trust me, loneliness is impossible.
Seriously, it is very difficult to manage work under my circumstances. My husband and I chose not to have someone else look after the kids during the day (they are still too young... we tried nursery with our son, but he got sick too often). So, we're always with them. The situation is such that I get up at 6 and go to bed at 1 or 2 after midnight. I translate all day long on and off, between preparing meals, cleaning, playing and stuff. When I translate, I am in a separate room, but the kids are always barging in, with my son coming up with all sorts of excuses of why he needs me: Mummy, mummy look what happened to my truck; mummy, mummy, I just wanted to tell you Noddy has a chicken... You can imagine, or maybe not, what it is like to work under such circumstances.
Soon I'll definitely have to come up with some solution. My husband says that I should get an office away from home, but what's the use when I need to be available for work, or at least communication, all day long. But at least I'd have 8 hours of focused work. We'll see...

I'll just have to wait until my kids are a bit older and then we'll be taking them to some day care center. Until that happens, I'll have to think of a way to get rid of this frustration of never experiencing peace and quiet and always thinking about millions of things at the same time.

Sorry for the digression. Anyway, I'll let you know what I think about freelancer loneliness when I have experienced some.
Collapse

Monika Rozwarzewska
Monika Rozwarzewska  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:57
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
kids vs. work Jan 5, 2010

Katarina Delic wrote:

we tried nursery with our son, but he got sick too often).

My son was in a nursery and he, too, got sick several times but do remember - this is a harsh way they get resistant. When he was in a kinder garten, he never got sick while all the other kids who were at home till 4 had colds, chickenpox, German measle, laryngitis etc...
I know what you are through and though my son is 10 now, he still requires a lot of attention. But hey, isn't it the way it should be? When we are old, it's not our work but our children who will take care of us!

Katarina Delic
Member (2008)
English to Serbian
+ ...
Of course... Jan 5, 2010

Monika Rozwarzewska wrote:

Katarina Delic wrote:

we tried nursery with our son, but he got sick too often).

My son was in a nursery and he, too, got sick several times but do remember - this is a harsh way they get resistant. When he was in a kinder garten, he never got sick while all the other kids who were at home till 4 had colds, chickenpox, German measle, laryngitis etc...
I know what you are through and though my son is 10 now, he still requires a lot of attention. But hey, isn't it the way it should be? When we are old, it's not our work but our children who will take care of us!

Kids are not a problem to me at all, I love spending time with them.
It's just that translation takes me twice the normal time because of the distractions.

Grayson Morr (X)
Grayson Morr (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
It gets easier! Jan 5, 2010

Katarina, my two older kids are nineteen months apart, and I barely got dinner made back when they were little, so hats off to you for actually getting work done, too!

My youngest is almost two and I work one weekday (when he goes to his grandparents') and weekends (when my husband takes care of household and kids). The other weekdays, I work when he takes his afternoon nap, and I get administrative stuff done here and there during the day (e-mail, etc).

Before he was
... See more
Katarina, my two older kids are nineteen months apart, and I barely got dinner made back when they were little, so hats off to you for actually getting work done, too!

My youngest is almost two and I work one weekday (when he goes to his grandparents') and weekends (when my husband takes care of household and kids). The other weekdays, I work when he takes his afternoon nap, and I get administrative stuff done here and there during the day (e-mail, etc).

Before he was born, I had all day to myself while the older two were at school, which I loved. I do well with a lot of solitude (and not so well without it), so freelance translating is ideal for me. It's definitely a good choice for people who like being alone and don't crave daily contact with others.
Collapse

Katarina Delic
Member (2008)
English to Serbian
+ ...
My vote goes to freelancing, too! Jan 5, 2010

Grayson Morris wrote:

Before he was born, I had all day to myself while the older two were at school, which I loved. I do well with a lot of solitude (and not so well without it), so freelance translating is ideal for me. It's definitely a good choice for people who like being alone and don't crave daily contact with others.

I manage to work because I do most of the work after eight in the evening. I leave the easier parts for the day.
All in all, I wouldn't change freelancing for anything in the world. I am my own boss and even though sometimes it gets really difficult with the kids, at least I'm always there for them!!!

Jun Hokari (X)
Jun Hokari (X)
United States
Local time: 01:57
English to Japanese
+ ...
while busy, cool. Jan 6, 2010

I worked as an in-house for years, and have been working as a freelancer for 2 years now. What you guys are talking about here is definitely one of the challenges I face for being free from the nonsense corporate world.

Because I don’t live alone, working from home is manageable, but on a slow day, I gotta say it’s pretty rough. I forget all the great things about being a freelancer or working from home. The work space (home) seems so limiting. It’s weird because I deal with
... See more
I worked as an in-house for years, and have been working as a freelancer for 2 years now. What you guys are talking about here is definitely one of the challenges I face for being free from the nonsense corporate world.

Because I don’t live alone, working from home is manageable, but on a slow day, I gotta say it’s pretty rough. I forget all the great things about being a freelancer or working from home. The work space (home) seems so limiting. It’s weird because I deal with people all over the world, but I feel so disconnected from the world sometimes.

When I get to that point, I just drop everything and go socialize at a café!

BTW, this thread is great. It’s reminding me how free we really are.

Thanks!
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Maid Jan 7, 2010

Jenny Duthie wrote:

Ligia, you have a maid, I am soooooo jealous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not of the maid, I presume.

[Edited at 2010-01-07 13:41 GMT]

Monika Elisabeth Sieger
Monika Elisabeth Sieger  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Happy to work undisturbed Jan 7, 2010

I love to work on my own and being undisturbed despite the music from the CD-Player and my bearded dragon which uses to sit in his comfortable hamster bed next to the laptop in the afternoon.
I worked for years in large and small offices and was always disturbed by the chatting of others and the steadily ringing telephones. I was really getting nervous after a while and couldn't concentrate anymore. Legal work or translating needs some sort of concentration but others couldn't understand m
... See more
I love to work on my own and being undisturbed despite the music from the CD-Player and my bearded dragon which uses to sit in his comfortable hamster bed next to the laptop in the afternoon.
I worked for years in large and small offices and was always disturbed by the chatting of others and the steadily ringing telephones. I was really getting nervous after a while and couldn't concentrate anymore. Legal work or translating needs some sort of concentration but others couldn't understand my request for a little bit of privacy. Don't misunderstand me: I am not a 'Lonesome George' or hate the contact to others, on the contrary, but concentration is a keyword for me! When I was working for a large law fim in Germany I had my own office and a key to lock my door. It was paradise!
I enjoy being a freelance legal translator without the pressure of being controlled and integrated in a working process which is contra-porductive to my kind of work I have to do.
So I have the freedom to work whenever I want even on Sunday if I want to or need to and won't have to attend office hours as usual in normal German law firms.
But, admitted, you need to love to be on your own and you need to plan your working day on a strict regime otherwise you will not be able to finish off anything on time.
I had to invest in a lot of dictionaries and textbooks but the investment was worth while. I have enough clients who can reach me whenever they want and/or need, I am flexible and if I do not want to work I don't and make a trip to the coast.
And don't forget to socialize from time to time! This is essential for your well-being. Otherwise you'll soon become one of these computerfreaks, who are pale, malnutritioned and afraid from the world outside their room!
Shopping is not enough for this purpose!
Collapse

Drew MacFadyen
Drew MacFadyen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:57
Spanish to English
+ ...
Article - 12 reasons not to freelance Jan 29, 2010

Saw this article http://freelancefolder.com/12-reasons-you-shouldnt-freelance/ and thought those on this forum would enjoy. Article is about freelancing in general and the author is a freelance writer and developer specifically but many of the issues she raises have been discussed in this thread as well.

Enjoy

Drew

Katarina Delic
Member (2008)
English to Serbian
+ ...
Yes, good points Jan 29, 2010

Drew MacFadyen wrote:

Saw this article http://freelancefolder.com/12-reasons-you-shouldnt-freelance/ and thought those on this forum would enjoy. Article is about freelancing in general and the author is a freelance writer and developer specifically but many of the issues she raises have been discussed in this thread as well.

Enjoy

Drew

And all in one place. The only thing I have to add is about the reason that interests me the most, which is staying home with my kids. Even if I am very busy I can still stop working for a moment if my kids really need me; I don't have to explain to anyone why I have to leave the office, I don't have to travel home from work and stuff. And if the job suffers because of that it is only at my own expense.

1581091 (X)
1581091 (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Successful cooperation in coworking Jun 6, 2020

Hey, Christian here,

it's a little late, but I can confirm that I am successfully working toghether with other translators since 2013. We are 5 and we do translations by sharing our rooms, and also applying for tenders and other bigger jobs. We support each other emotionally and have an open ear to listen to each other's problems.

There is still space in our coworking, for any of you guys!

If any of you would like to join us, our lovely coworking space is l
... See more
Hey, Christian here,

it's a little late, but I can confirm that I am successfully working toghether with other translators since 2013. We are 5 and we do translations by sharing our rooms, and also applying for tenders and other bigger jobs. We support each other emotionally and have an open ear to listen to each other's problems.

There is still space in our coworking, for any of you guys!

If any of you would like to join us, our lovely coworking space is located at Wuppertal, in the center of NRW, western Germany, 20 km from Düsseldorf and Essen, 40 km from Dortmund and Cologne.

Check here: https://www.linguedu.de/coworking/index.html

Christian

- Italian & English -

[Edited at 2020-06-06 11:55 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Being freelance and being isolated

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »