Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:41
Czech to German
+ ...
May 27, 2006

Hi,

this is not a question about translation but I'm just curious to know whether the "tocius" in the following sentence is right or not:

Praga tocius Bohemiae domina

Should it not be "totius"? Or is it just a misprint? I had this sentence in one text recently and the unusual form caught my eyes. It had been written by a scholar in 11th century but unfortunately the original has not been preserved.
I have no idea of middle-age Latin but maybe someo
... See more
Hi,

this is not a question about translation but I'm just curious to know whether the "tocius" in the following sentence is right or not:

Praga tocius Bohemiae domina

Should it not be "totius"? Or is it just a misprint? I had this sentence in one text recently and the unusual form caught my eyes. It had been written by a scholar in 11th century but unfortunately the original has not been preserved.
I have no idea of middle-age Latin but maybe someone of you would know more about this?

Charlotte
Collapse

Neil Crockford
Neil Crockford  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:41
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Question about 11th century Latin May 27, 2006

"Totius" makes perfect sense.

"Tocius" does not appear to exist.

My money is on a scribal error, and error in transcription or
a misprint.

William Short
William Short  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 21:41
Italian to English
+ ...
totius / tocius May 27, 2006

_totius_ is word that you want, although _tocius_ is a result of pronunciation influencing spelling rather than a scribal error (such as diplography, etc.). By the 11th c. -ti- was certainly already sibilized (cf. amicitia >> amicizia etc.)

Katherine Zei
Katherine Zei  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:41
Italian to English
+ ...
Latin variation May 28, 2006

There are lots of variations in spelling from that time, as well as local Latin dialects and other things to confuse us. Looks like a sibilisation to me too.

No spellcheck back then! Probably a good thing

Saluti,
Katy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Question about 11th century Latin

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »