Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Across 3.5 - any experience using Across 3.5 or any other previous version?
Thread poster: Marina Soldati
David Turner
David Turner  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:03
French to English
+ ...
Download size versus usefulness Feb 12, 2007

:
Have you tried to download again ? The file is huge, so it is possible that there was some trouble during the long downloading process.
I downloaded ad installed it last December without trouble, but I have a high speed ADSL connection and a fairly recent computer with few software already installed (no Trados nor SDL so far).

I wonder whether there's any correlation between the download size and the actual usefulness of some of these CAT tools? (:D

Wordfast: 0.7MB
MemoQ: 21MB
OmegaT 1.6.1: 21.2MB
Deja Vu X: 30.8MB
Trados 6.5: 268MB
SDL Trados 2006: 270MB
Across 3.55: 469MB

David Turner

Tatiana Neamţu
Tatiana Neamţu
Romania
Local time: 21:03
English to Romanian
+ ...
RE: Problems installing it Feb 14, 2007

nordiste wrote:

Have you tried to download again ? The file is huge, so it is possible that there was some trouble durig the long downloading process.
I downloaded ad installed it last December without trouble, but I have a high speed ADSL connection and a fairly recent computer with few software already installed (no Trados nor SDL so far).

I have tried downloading it more than once. With the same result. There seems to be no Internet connection problem. And my computer, although not new, can handle it very well. It's weird, anyway. I know the program since I work in it at the office where I'm part time employed, but still want it at home ....

As far as the demo version is concerned:
http://www.across.net/en/fdb_intro.aspx

Here's where you can register to receive the serial number which will enable using Across Personal Edition for free.
Now, is there something I didn't understand? Anyway, I find the website and the information in it very confusing ....

By the way, for those more experienced in using it: is there a list of shortcuts anywhere? For example is there a shortcut to just copy the text from target into source?

Thank you!

[Editat la 2007-02-14 22:36]

María Teresa Jones Acebal
María Teresa Jones Acebal  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
it worked ok for me, keep trying Feb 27, 2007

Hi! I heard about the CAT tool and tried downloading it right away. Although, I experienced several connection problems, I believe I finally made it the on the seventh attempt.
I have used it a little since then and it worked ok.
My advice is keep trying!
I have imported all my TMs from Trados and Transit (the other two CAT tools I use) and I have been able to use them ok.
The only thing I noticed is that terminology and TMs are not divided by project, they are all togeth
... See more
Hi! I heard about the CAT tool and tried downloading it right away. Although, I experienced several connection problems, I believe I finally made it the on the seventh attempt.
I have used it a little since then and it worked ok.
My advice is keep trying!
I have imported all my TMs from Trados and Transit (the other two CAT tools I use) and I have been able to use them ok.
The only thing I noticed is that terminology and TMs are not divided by project, they are all together. And, it does fraction by paragraphs.

Good luck!
Collapse

HeatherH
HeatherH  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:03
Spanish to English
Across 3.5 - user friendly or no? Oct 17, 2011

Hi all, I'd like some advise please - I've just read a number of very interesting comments on the CAT tool - 'Across 3.5'. I am a freelance translator with 3 years experience but up to present have never used a CAT tool as my clients have been happy for me to work in 'Word'. However, I would like to begin to use a tool so as to increase my chances of work. At present, I am not in a position to buy a tool so have been looking at the free options - by that I mean 'free' and not just a 'free demo/... See more
Hi all, I'd like some advise please - I've just read a number of very interesting comments on the CAT tool - 'Across 3.5'. I am a freelance translator with 3 years experience but up to present have never used a CAT tool as my clients have been happy for me to work in 'Word'. However, I would like to begin to use a tool so as to increase my chances of work. At present, I am not in a position to buy a tool so have been looking at the free options - by that I mean 'free' and not just a 'free demo/trial'. I was going to download 'Omega T' but then stumbled upon 'Across 3.5' which I understand is free at present. How easy would this be to use as a complete novice to CAT tools? - would I be better to get to grips with 'Omega T' first, the move on?
Any advice would be great - Thanks, Heather
Collapse

Shawn Champion
Shawn Champion  Identity Verified
Sweden
Swedish to English
+ ...
Any experience with the most recent version? Oct 18, 2011

I've been using Trados for 3 years and I'm very comfortable with it, despite the ever present bugs. I'm curious how much slower my translating will be (initially) if I try to switch to Across. I've received an inquiry from a seemingly well-respected LSP for a quote, but I must use their server-based Across. Do you charge your standard rate for Across projects and how is compatibility with Trados 2011? Thanks.

Nicholas Stedman
Nicholas Stedman  Identity Verified
Italy
French to English
Some comments on Across Oct 18, 2011

I have used Across this year and found it to be a really excellent and bug-free program. It is a little slower than Trados because of the way it deals with tables and formatting but it has none of the bugs and a few really superb features for revising and correcting the finished translation.
However the server version is totally incompatible with anything as all the translation memory and term lists are kept on the server and are inaccessible to the translator

Shawn Champion
Sweden
Swedish to English
+ ...
Oh! Oct 19, 2011

NR_Stedman wrote:

However the server version is totally incompatible with anything as all the translation memory and term lists are kept on the server and are inaccessible to the translator

That's a deal breaker for me. So, to get a TM from my own work I'd have to use the align feature in Trados. Sounds like a real hassle.

Nicholas Stedman
Nicholas Stedman  Identity Verified
Italy
French to English
I don't even think you can do that Oct 19, 2011

Shawn Champion wrote:

So, to get a TM from my own work I'd have to use the align feature in Trados.

I don't even think you can access your own translations. The only way would be to copy/paste your own translations into another document segment by segment.

NB This only applies to the server version. There is no such problem with the free standalone version. Another advantage over Trados is the fact that there are no tabs!

[Edited at 2011-10-19 15:
... See more
Shawn Champion wrote:

So, to get a TM from my own work I'd have to use the align feature in Trados.

I don't even think you can access your own translations. The only way would be to copy/paste your own translations into another document segment by segment.

NB This only applies to the server version. There is no such problem with the free standalone version. Another advantage over Trados is the fact that there are no tabs!

[Edited at 2011-10-19 15:24 GMT]
Collapse

Shawn Champion
Sweden
Swedish to English
+ ...
seems pointless Oct 20, 2011

NR_Stedman wrote:

[Edited at 2011-10-19 15:24 GMT]

I assume you mean "tags." That would be nice.

So for those of us that have Trados with multiterm and auto suggest, etc., all benefits of server-based Across go to the LSP. Seems ludicrous. The LSP in question just confirmed that I would have no access to my own work! It seems to me that the only translators interested in signing up for such an arrangement would be those that are so new to translating that they haven't even acquired their own software/CAT tool yet. Am I wrong here?

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Other user's post with the question removed
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Other user's post with the question removed
Gypsy_ES
Gypsy_ES
German to Spanish
+ ...
Benefits only for LSP Aug 16, 2012

Shawn Champion wrote:

So for those of us that have Trados with multiterm and auto suggest, etc., all benefits of server-based Across go to the LSP. Seems ludicrous. The LSP in question just confirmed that I would have no access to my own work! It seems to me that the only translators interested in signing up for such an arrangement would be those that are so new to translating that they haven't even acquired their own software/CAT tool yet. Am I wrong here?

I've been working with server-based Across for almost 2 years now and you are right: all benefits go to the LSP. My translating is much slower than with Trados and the fact that I can't see my work after delivering it is quite annoying. I only use it because one of my major clients works with it, but honestly I can't say anything positive about this software, I have over 20 years experience in translating with CAT tools and this is the worst I've ever seen.

Nicholas Pain
Nicholas Pain  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:03
Russian to English
+ ...
Definitely benefits the LSP/client and not the translator Mar 19, 2014

I could not agree more with the previous comments that Across is not good for translators. Freelancers get paid piece work - the slower they go, the less they earn (obviously!). Across has absolutely horrible workflows and a terrible layout, as well as serious shortcomings in terms of compatibility. I have to do a fairly large volume of work in Across for some clients. I lose money on every job but do it to keep the clients happy for real work. Remember, too, that many LSPs have their hands tied... See more
I could not agree more with the previous comments that Across is not good for translators. Freelancers get paid piece work - the slower they go, the less they earn (obviously!). Across has absolutely horrible workflows and a terrible layout, as well as serious shortcomings in terms of compatibility. I have to do a fairly large volume of work in Across for some clients. I lose money on every job but do it to keep the clients happy for real work. Remember, too, that many LSPs have their hands tied because their corporate clients insist on the use of Across.

I can only hope that this does not become the industry standard. I've been in translation for 30 years and I don't fancy putting in 20 % more time for a pay cut.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Across 3.5 - any experience using Across 3.5 or any other previous version?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »