Steve Derry
Steve Derry  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:38
German to English
+ ...
Aug 31, 2011

Good Afternoon all,
I know there are numerous posts relating to the use/installation of Trados and other windows based applications on a Mac, however I cannot find any specific to Across.

I am intending to use Parallels to install a number of Windows applications on my Mac, but would be grateful if anyone using Across on a Mac could share their experiences/advice or advise me of any problems.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Tarja Braun
Tarja Braun  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
German to Finnish
+ ...
Parallels + Windows 7 + Across = no problems Aug 31, 2011

Hi Steve,
I am using Across on my Mac (MacBook Pro with Intel Core i7, 4 GB RAM, 750 GB disc space, 17" screen, Max OS X) and have not experienced any problems. It is running even faster than on my old Windows notebook. You can really use Mac OS and Windows parallel. I have Across in a small window, and use Safari and Office for Mac at the same time. The only thing you have to consider is the keyboard. You have to use the Windows shortcuts, i.e. for @ alt+Q instead of alt+L.
Regards,
... See more
Hi Steve,
I am using Across on my Mac (MacBook Pro with Intel Core i7, 4 GB RAM, 750 GB disc space, 17" screen, Max OS X) and have not experienced any problems. It is running even faster than on my old Windows notebook. You can really use Mac OS and Windows parallel. I have Across in a small window, and use Safari and Office for Mac at the same time. The only thing you have to consider is the keyboard. You have to use the Windows shortcuts, i.e. for @ alt+Q instead of alt+L.
Regards, Tarja
Collapse

Claus Sprick
Claus Sprick  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
no problem Aug 31, 2011

Hi steve,

I have used Across 5.1 on a Macbook and I am now using it on my iMac, both under Parallels.

I did not encounter any difficulties so far.

Claus

Hans Lenting

Steve Derry
Spain
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 1, 2011

Tarja/Claus,
Thank you very much for your replies - very useful.
Tarja, I notice you say that you have Office for Mac open. It's been a while since I've used Across. I know with Trados I would need Word installed to be able to see completed files. If the same applies with Across, would I need to have Word installed in the Windows side of my Mac (i.e. under Parallels) or would I be able to use Word for Mac. In other words, do I need to install Microsoft Office for Windows as well or c
... See more
Tarja/Claus,
Thank you very much for your replies - very useful.
Tarja, I notice you say that you have Office for Mac open. It's been a while since I've used Across. I know with Trados I would need Word installed to be able to see completed files. If the same applies with Across, would I need to have Word installed in the Windows side of my Mac (i.e. under Parallels) or would I be able to use Word for Mac. In other words, do I need to install Microsoft Office for Windows as well or can I use Office for Mac (which I already have).

Thanks
Collapse

Tarja Braun
Tarja Braun  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
German to Finnish
+ ...
You need the Office applications in Windows as well Sep 1, 2011

Hi Steve,
You need the Office applications in Windows as well, if you want to clean the file or use the preview.
Regards, Tarja

Steve Derry
Spain
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Sep 1, 2011

Tarja,
Much as I thought! Thank you again (and to Claus too).

Steve

Teresa Woischiski
Teresa Woischiski  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
where to download for mac Aug 19, 2020

Could someone give me a link to Across Download for Mac? I cannot find it on the Across site.

Thanks.

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
English to German
+ ...
Using Across on a Mac Aug 19, 2020

Teresa Woischiski wrote:

Could someone give me a link to Across Download for Mac? I cannot find it on the Across site.

Thanks.

AFAIK there's no such thing as Across for the Mac, I'm afraid.

Hans Lenting

Vorchuchelo
Vorchuchelo
Russian Federation
Across on Mac Aug 20, 2020

Across runs on iMac and MacBook computers in a virtual Windows machine (e.g. VMWare Fusion or Parallels).

Wolfgang Schoene
France
English to German
+ ...
Across on Mac Aug 20, 2020

Vorchuchelo wrote:

Across runs on iMac and MacBook computers in a virtual Windows machine (e.g. VMWare Fusion or Parallels).

This I know, I have run it myself for years on my iMac on the Parallels platform. But Teresa says she cannot find Across for the Mac on the Across website so obviously she's looking for something that's not there as Across only runs under Windows and that version is definitely there on their website.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
CrossWeb Aug 20, 2020

On Mac you can use CrossWeb, their web editor.

Vorchuchelo
Vorchuchelo
Russian Federation
Web or not Aug 20, 2020

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:

Across only runs under Windows and that version is definitely there on their website.

Are there popular not web-based translation tools run natively on Mac?

Across can be used on Mac via Web with crossWeb, but not with Across Translator Edition. And as Teresa is asking for download link she doesn't have a crossWeb account.

Wolfgang Schoene
France
English to German
+ ...
Not web-based translation tools run natively on Mac Aug 20, 2020

Vorchuchelo wrote:

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:

Across only runs under Windows and that version is definitely there on their website.

Of course there are, namely Cafetran, Wordfast Pro, Swordfish.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
One more Aug 20, 2020

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:

Vorchuchelo wrote:

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:

And Fluency

Wolfgang Schoene
France
English to German
+ ...
One more...? Aug 20, 2020

Hans Lenting wrote:

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:

Vorchuchelo wrote:

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:

And Fluency

Is Fluency still alive? I thought they went web-based and dismissed development of the desktop version.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using Across on a Mac

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »