Thread poster: nanaikeng
nanaikeng
nanaikeng
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:19
English to French
Jun 14, 2016

Hi,

I am starting as a freelance translator and my client asked me to translate some documents from French into English for the Home Office (birth certificates and marriage certificates).

From most forums and translation websites, it looks like only ITI and CIOL members will have their work automatically accepted by the Home Office, but I am not a member of either association. However, from the official sources, I do not have to be a member to certify a translation anyw
... See more
Hi,

I am starting as a freelance translator and my client asked me to translate some documents from French into English for the Home Office (birth certificates and marriage certificates).

From most forums and translation websites, it looks like only ITI and CIOL members will have their work automatically accepted by the Home Office, but I am not a member of either association. However, from the official sources, I do not have to be a member to certify a translation anyway (Gov: https://www.gov.uk/certifying-a-document and https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/515652/VAF9_-_appx_8_-_guide_to_supporting_docs_-_April_2016.pdf).

I am qualified and experienced in the legal field and have translated documents for similar purposes numerous times, but through agencies only. This is my first time doing it as a freelancer and I am worried my translation may be refused.

If I follow the official process, I am doing everything right (name + contact details + statement + date) but I am worried and do not want to disappoint my client. From what I understand, if I state my qualifications and add a stamp, my CoA will have more (visual) impact but I still get the impression that it may be refused if I am not a member of the ITI of CIOL.

I already know that there is no formal route to have a certified translation in the UK and there may not be one right answer. Have any of you been in a similar situation? Is there any way I can make sure that my translation gets approved (maybe by having it notarised?). What would be the next step if my translation ends up being refused? Can I tell my client that I followed process and should I still get paid?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Nahema
Collapse

Lara Barnett

Dr Lofthouse
Dr Lofthouse
France
Italian to English
+ ...
ask HO? Nov 19, 2016

have you tried asking the home office?

Jorge Payan

Dr Lofthouse
Dr Lofthouse
France
Italian to English
+ ...
ask Nov 19, 2016

have you tried asking the home office? Seems you (or someone from a building society) just signs it nowadays - ludicrous lapse of security, isnt' it, especially with passport applications.

Lara Barnett
Lara Barnett  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
Me too.... Dec 17, 2021

I am having this issue right now, did anybody find a solution? The Home Office links are still a bit vague if a translator is not a member of a professional body.

liz askew
liz askew  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
Certifying a translation for the Home Office Dec 20, 2021

I remember doing this a couple of times and a local solicitor certified the document.

Regards,
Liz

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Certifying a translation for the Home Office without ITI or IOL membership

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »