Holger Remke  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:00
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Apr 16, 2017

Dear colleagues,

after having started my computer this Sunday morning, Studio 2017 presents the activation screen of my installed and properly activated SDL Trados 2017 version. The software was working without any problems since January this year until yesterday evening. I did not return the license or do anything else with the software except for closing it at the end of my session yesterday. (No update of Windows 7 or Studio popped up recently and I did not move Studio to another
... See more
Dear colleagues,

after having started my computer this Sunday morning, Studio 2017 presents the activation screen of my installed and properly activated SDL Trados 2017 version. The software was working without any problems since January this year until yesterday evening. I did not return the license or do anything else with the software except for closing it at the end of my session yesterday. (No update of Windows 7 or Studio popped up recently and I did not move Studio to another computer.)
Studio now asks me to enter the activation code but as the product is already activated, it doesn't accept my current activation code.
What is more, I cannot open the software on the computer in order to return my license.
The same happens with my working version of Studio 2015 still installed on the same computer.

I'm wondering why this happens and what I can do now? Thank you for your hints.
Collapse

Zuzana Greksakova
Zuzana Greksakova  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Member (2016)
English to Slovak
+ ...
same here Apr 16, 2017

The same happened to me in February, I submitted a support ticket and the issue was resolved within a day. When I asked about the issue, this was their reply:

Usually this error occurs because of Windows updates, computer crash, hard disk failure, etc.. in case you did not have the change to deactivate your license first, you might get your license stuck and receive a similar error message:
Error Message: Activation failed. Activation is not allowed as remaining quantity is 0.
... See more
The same happened to me in February, I submitted a support ticket and the issue was resolved within a day. When I asked about the issue, this was their reply:

Usually this error occurs because of Windows updates, computer crash, hard disk failure, etc.. in case you did not have the change to deactivate your license first, you might get your license stuck and receive a similar error message:
Error Message: Activation failed. Activation is not allowed as remaining quantity is 0.
In such cases, the only way to be able and activate the license again is to log in a support ticket. Since you have followed the correct procedure by contacting us, your license should be working again properly.

Just email [email protected] or submit a ticket via their website.

Hope this helps.
Z.
Collapse

Holger Remke
Germany
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Zuzana Apr 19, 2017

Yes, that's exactly what happened; I followed your advice, sent a support ticket and SDL Support helped me right away.

Thanks a lot and kind regards,
Holger

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 22:00
English to Russian
Check your Internet connection Apr 20, 2017

Despite confident statements of SDL experts who say that they can use Trados even underground or under the sea or in space, I observe the same behaviour again and again since I bought 2011 (now I possess 2017): when you launch your copy of Tardos (no matter if you do it first or thousand first time), the first thing it does is checking your license. To do so, Trados goes to its server to check if your license is ok. For this purpose, you need to have Internet connection. Each time I launch Trado... See more
Despite confident statements of SDL experts who say that they can use Trados even underground or under the sea or in space, I observe the same behaviour again and again since I bought 2011 (now I possess 2017): when you launch your copy of Tardos (no matter if you do it first or thousand first time), the first thing it does is checking your license. To do so, Trados goes to its server to check if your license is ok. For this purpose, you need to have Internet connection. Each time I launch Trados without Internet, it says my license has expired. As soon as I insert even a 2G USB modem into my computer, it works fine. So my suggestion is to check if you Internet connection is available. In 21st century, we have got used to have Internet so much that don't even notice it. SDL Support can reset your licence, and they do it pretty quickly, but it would be to no avail when next time you launch it again without Internet.

[Edited at 2017-04-20 21:56 GMT]
Collapse

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:00
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Not always, Stepan Apr 21, 2017

Dear Stepan,

well, just tried to open my 2011 and - out of the blue! I was told that my licence is "wrong" and was informed that the illegal (!!) use of software is punishable. (No way to return my licence and try to attach another one, I'm - was?! proud owner of various licences)

Ooookay, I thought, let me check my internet (having your posting in mind). I was and am solidly online. Good, so I tried to open my 2014 copy. Same message. Ick.

There must be so
... See more
Dear Stepan,

well, just tried to open my 2011 and - out of the blue! I was told that my licence is "wrong" and was informed that the illegal (!!) use of software is punishable. (No way to return my licence and try to attach another one, I'm - was?! proud owner of various licences)

Ooookay, I thought, let me check my internet (having your posting in mind). I was and am solidly online. Good, so I tried to open my 2014 copy. Same message. Ick.

There must be something wrong with the server(s). Everything had worked fine, last time I opened both (of course not at the same time).

So internet is not the cause.

A pretty disaster on a Friday ahead of a working weekend. I am worried about attaching my Prof 2017 licences at this point.

Giuliana
Collapse

Holger Remke
Germany
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Try [email protected] or use the Support Site Apr 21, 2017

Dear Giuliana,

perhaps a special program on your computer has automatically wiped the hard disk and deleted some files that are important for the retrieval of the license (something like this was the case on my computer last weekend).

If you describe your case and send it per e-mail to [email protected] you should get help (within 2 working days, I think)
Or you c
... See more
Dear Giuliana,

perhaps a special program on your computer has automatically wiped the hard disk and deleted some files that are important for the retrieval of the license (something like this was the case on my computer last weekend).

If you describe your case and send it per e-mail to [email protected] you should get help (within 2 working days, I think)
Or you can try to find a solution on the support site https://gateway.sdl.com/apex/communityknowledge?articleName=000001386

Hope this helps
Holger
Collapse

Holger Remke
Germany
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Or directly via support case Apr 21, 2017

Here you can access and send the support case directly: https://gateway.sdl.com/webtocase

Giuliana Buscaglione
United States
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Thanks, sure! Apr 21, 2017

Dear Holger,

thanks, I did the moment i wrote my posting (while moving my local TMs to another PC, some true hassle, but I'm happy I have more than one licence... and more than a PC, so that I don't have to worry to be late with my delivery).

No updates were installed (well, it requires some workaround with Win10, but I did quite some time ago) and I had deactivated (Windows) file cleanup aeons ago (temporary files also from packages got regularly deleted and not transl
... See more
Dear Holger,

thanks, I did the moment i wrote my posting (while moving my local TMs to another PC, some true hassle, but I'm happy I have more than one licence... and more than a PC, so that I don't have to worry to be late with my delivery).

No updates were installed (well, it requires some workaround with Win10, but I did quite some time ago) and I had deactivated (Windows) file cleanup aeons ago (temporary files also from packages got regularly deleted and not translation files could be created once finished, so another time wasting even though TMs would do their job perfectly... except for segments with lots of tags).

As in your case, I hadn't changed anything, and I had re-started the sys various times since I installed 2014. The licence itself is upgraded up to 2014, with a bought update to 2015 (which I'll skip) & 2017 still to be applied, so no way it can be considered "illegal". I tend to think that it is related to the upgraded licence, though.

Whatever, let's see.

Giuliana
Collapse

Giuliana Buscaglione
United States
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Right-clicking Studio symbol did it Apr 25, 2017

Dear all,

just in case some colleagues might stumble on the same issue in future, and so that a working weekend does not change into a nightmare...

For the record, it was a "simple" (and stupid) Windows(-induced) problem, i.e. it prevented a correct communication, so that my licence rights could not be read. Even though the user I had set up on my PC had admin rights, I had to right-click Studio symbol and choose to open it as admin in the dropdown.

As easy
... See more
Dear all,

just in case some colleagues might stumble on the same issue in future, and so that a working weekend does not change into a nightmare...

For the record, it was a "simple" (and stupid) Windows(-induced) problem, i.e. it prevented a correct communication, so that my licence rights could not be read. Even though the user I had set up on my PC had admin rights, I had to right-click Studio symbol and choose to open it as admin in the dropdown.

As easy as that.

Out of the blue, after months of double-clicking for launching & no issues. Our biggest trouble is not Studio, but Windows (in my case 10)

Giuliana
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Activated SDL Studio 2017 asks for activation code after computer restart

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »