Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
SDL Trados Studio 2017 is here - Designed to make the difference
Thread poster: SDL_Dan
SDL_Dan
SDL_Dan
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:35
Nov 17, 2016

We're delighted to announce that SDL Trados Studio 2017 is now available, with exciting new innovations and features including:

- AdaptiveMT: A self-learning machine translation engine which learns from your post-edits in real time to create MT outputs unique to your own style, content and terminology

- upLIFT Fragment Recall: Cleverly offers fragment suggestions directly from your translation memory in real time, when you have no full or fuzzy TM match... See more
We're delighted to announce that SDL Trados Studio 2017 is now available, with exciting new innovations and features including:

- AdaptiveMT: A self-learning machine translation engine which learns from your post-edits in real time to create MT outputs unique to your own style, content and terminology

- upLIFT Fragment Recall: Cleverly offers fragment suggestions directly from your translation memory in real time, when you have no full or fuzzy TM match

- upLIFT Fuzzy Repair: Finds additional matches from all your trusted project resources such as translation memories, termbases and machine translation, to automatically repair fuzzy matches

- Merge segments over hard returns

- AutoSuggest for Asian languages: AutoSuggest is now available for Chinese, Japanese and Korean languages

- New UX improvements including Drag and Drop, Right Click to Start and Reverse Language Pairs

Plus much more...

To see what's new in SDL Trados Studio 2017, please visit the following webpages:

Freelance Translator, click here

Language Service Provider, click here
Collapse

Tobi
Tobi
Local time: 18:35
English to German
+ ...
Looks good! Nov 17, 2016

I've just finished the first job on Studio 2017. Looks good so far.
"Merge segments over hard returns" sounds great.
Regarding 4k support, the symbols indicating the segment status in the editor, the icons in the menu ribbon and the icons for minimizing/closing windows and panes are still too small at the moment.

mikhailo
mikhailo
Local time: 20:35
English to Russian
+ ...
re Nov 17, 2016

SDL_Dan wrote:

What about compatibility of this feature with projects made in older versions?

Example - Project from studio 2009, 2014, 2015. Translator have translated files in 2017, joined some segments over hard return or paragraph breaks and made return package and send it back. Can originator of project export tranlated files in original format?

Emília Varga dr. iur.
Emília Varga dr. iur.
Hungary
German to Hungarian
+ ...
merging segments over hard returns Nov 18, 2016

I use Trados Studio 2017 now, but it let me not merging segments over hard returns. What should I do? Are there any setting options?

Arianne Farah
Arianne Farah  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:35
Member (2008)
English to French
Few notes Nov 18, 2016

SDL_Dan wrote:

I'm blown away, it really works, I just take issue at the terminology, let's call a spade, a spade - they're not post-edits, they're corrections - but kudos, it works, the engine learns, I've been using Trados products since TWB 5.something and this is the first time I'm excited about a new feature.

- upLIFT Fragment Recall: Cleverly offers fragment suggestions directly from your translation memory in real time, when you have no full or fuzzy TM match

Isn't this more or less the same thing as when we activated automatic concordance searches when there were no matches?

- upLIFT Fuzzy Repair: Finds additional matches from all your trusted project resources such as translation memories, termbases and machine translation, to automatically repair fuzzy matches

The idea is sound, but in practice I found it dangerous - it moved things to the wrong place, deleted the wrong words - I've turned it off.

yay!

- New UX improvements including Drag and Drop, Right Click to Start and Reverse Language Pairs

yay! yay! & yay!

SDL_Dan
SDL_Dan
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:35
TOPIC STARTER
Merging Segments - Project Settings Nov 18, 2016

dr. Varga wrote:

I use Trados Studio 2017 now, but it let me not merging segments over hard returns. What should I do? Are there any setting options?

Hi Dr. Varga,

When you set up your new project, please make sure Allow Source Editing is selected in order to merge segments over hard returns. See image below.

merging-segments

Many thanks,

Dan

Emília Varga dr. iur.
Emília Varga dr. iur.
Hungary
German to Hungarian
+ ...
Hard returns Nov 20, 2016

Thanks, Dan,
I found the option "disable merging segments accross paragraphs".

[Módosítva: 2016-11-20 07:37 GMT]

Amy Stevens
Amy Stevens  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
SDL Trados Studio 2017 keeps crashing. Nov 20, 2016

I'm currently working on a project in the new version and it keeps freezing and closing down.

I've stopped using the only plug-in I have on it (web search) and it now does it less frequently.

What would you suggest?

Thank you in advance for your help.

kimjasper
kimjasper  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
Language Cloud Dictionaries Nov 21, 2016

Can you clarify this from the release guide:
"Dictionaries are no longer available in the SDL Language Cloud Machine Translation provider starting with Trados Studio 2017. A better alternative to Dictionaries will be available in the future. You can still use dictionaries in Trados Studio 2015 as long as you do not upgrade to 2017."

Can dictionaries still be used in Trados Suite 2015 if Trados Suite 2017 has been installed?

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Sounds good, but allow me to ask about and express my most wanted feature: Nov 22, 2016

SDL_Dan wrote:

A house-made Machine Translation service?

SDL_Dan wrote:

Good, that's very productive and useful, but see just below. But isn't this what the Autosuggest is supposed to do since Studio 2015? An improvement from it?
[EDIT]
i've just read Emma Goldsmith's awesome blog-post which answers in detail all this:
https://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2016/11/17/studio-2017-uplift/
This feature will make me lose less time looking in the - sometimes unorganized - concordance, very good!

SDL_Dan wrote:

I'm expecting much from this novelty. What I *really* would like is: bullets, $ numbers, chapter numbers, codes from foreign programs like {4}, [5] etc. that interrupt the sentences, and all those things that can clearly be programmed as 'not to be translated', all such occurences from the source should be automatically inserted in the target segment (better during pre-translation already, or from within a user-defined list), insert all these and skip the insertion of the remaining source text if no matches are found. This would make me save a huge amount of time - roughly 70% of the time in some cases! - especially in big projects. I can't understand why such a useful feature has not seen the light of day since so many years...Is this so terribly difficult to implement?

All interesting, I'm looking forward,
Greetings,
Mike

[Edited at 2016-11-22 22:52 GMT]

mirekk
mirekk  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Poor optimization Nov 23, 2016

My initial thoughts after one week of usage.

Sometimes it takes foreveer to respond after e.g. confirming a TU. It just freezes.
Fuzzy match repair works so-so, nowhere near MemoQ, but I'll give it some time. Why there is no no automatic insertion of "constructed" target TUs?
I do not use MT, as it sends content to some cloud (NDA issues), so I could not care less about the new iteration.

Generally some progress can be seen, but still plenty of room for imp
... See more
My initial thoughts after one week of usage.

Sometimes it takes foreveer to respond after e.g. confirming a TU. It just freezes.
Fuzzy match repair works so-so, nowhere near MemoQ, but I'll give it some time. Why there is no no automatic insertion of "constructed" target TUs?
I do not use MT, as it sends content to some cloud (NDA issues), so I could not care less about the new iteration.

Generally some progress can be seen, but still plenty of room for improvement.
Collapse

Maren Pärn
Maren Pärn
Local time: 19:35
English to Estonian
+ ...
Adjusting the workplace for 3840x2160 screen, W10 Nov 23, 2016

The menus//toolbars/icons are so small/distorted that they can't be accessed with the cursor: have tried to adjust system font sizes, but without success. Tried font adaption to improve the editing view, but made things worse.
Need to work, but can't.
Please help

[Edited at 2016-11-24 09:43 GMT]

Spamalot
Spamalot
Austria
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
Maybe the monitor or general graphics weakness in the program? Nov 28, 2016

Maren Pärn wrote:

The menus//toolbars/icons are so small/distorted that they can't be accessed with the cursor

This might be an issue with your monitor and/or perhaps if you have a Mac? Not sure but I have a rather large monitor and am also finding the menus etc. to be ridiculously small while I was only really able to adjust the editor view for the documents to be translated.
It might also be that the software is simply unable to support bigger fonts because I am also finding other problems - same as for the 2015 upgrade:::: ***when you finally think it's safe to delete the version before the last, you will not see any icons, so now I have to reinstall the 2014 version to see the icons (!) -- such is something that shouldn't ever happen just like the tiny menus but it does. Not happy.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
DPI performance Nov 28, 2016

Maren Pärn wrote:

The menus//toolbars/icons are so small/distorted that they can't be accessed with the cursor: have tried to adjust system font sizes, but without success.

For me, Studio 2017 displays well on a 4K monitor. Better than Studio 2015. See this blog entry for a screenshot:
https://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2016/11/24/studio-2017-new-features/#dpi
NB, this is on a 12" screen, so I have monitor text size set to 250%.
However, since other programs aren't DPI aware, I usually have this monitor set at a 2K resolution and 125% text size.

You'll find other solutions here:
http://kb.sdl.com/?article=4959&cid=23#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:4959

Lucia Vargas
Lucia Vargas  Identity Verified
Tunisia
English to Spanish
I wonder how the use of termbases inside Trados Studio Editor has improved... Nov 28, 2016

The single feature I have always longed for in Studio (I use it since the 2009 version), is that when I find a term inside a segment that is repeated twice or more, I may be able to apply the translated term from the termbase as many times as it appears in the segment, and not just the first time. This would save time and give more consistency, which is after all the objective of using Multiterm within the editor window. So far, in Studio 2014 (my current version), I still have the same wish. Wi... See more
The single feature I have always longed for in Studio (I use it since the 2009 version), is that when I find a term inside a segment that is repeated twice or more, I may be able to apply the translated term from the termbase as many times as it appears in the segment, and not just the first time. This would save time and give more consistency, which is after all the objective of using Multiterm within the editor window. So far, in Studio 2014 (my current version), I still have the same wish. With that, Studio would be perfect, is that included already in Studio 2017?Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio 2017 is here - Designed to make the difference

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »