beware of Charles Jayden ([email protected])
Thread poster: Yazid Amkas
Yazid Amkas
Yazid Amkas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:25
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Dec 12, 2016

I have a client from Proz.com. His IP address showing his location was in Nigeria. He told me that he is in the United States (new Mexico and other states). He ordered 12 pages of Indonesian to English translation and it was a rush translation. It was fraud.
He gave me a fake check with the amount larger than it should be and he informed me to transfer back the money to his account even before i sent him the invoice (suspicious right? i know...). Luckily, i didn't do it and it turned out t
... See more
I have a client from Proz.com. His IP address showing his location was in Nigeria. He told me that he is in the United States (new Mexico and other states). He ordered 12 pages of Indonesian to English translation and it was a rush translation. It was fraud.
He gave me a fake check with the amount larger than it should be and he informed me to transfer back the money to his account even before i sent him the invoice (suspicious right? i know...). Luckily, i didn't do it and it turned out that the check was fake and i didnt get paid for my translation service.
beware....
Collapse

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:25
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Sounds like the normal scam Dec 12, 2016

Yazid Amkas wrote:

He gave me a fake check with the amount larger than it should be and he informed me to transfer back the money to his account even before i sent him the invoice (suspicious right? i know...). Luckily, i didn't do it and it turned out that the check was fake and i didnt get paid for my translation service.
beware....

Thank you for sharing this information with us, but the trick with bouncing, overpaid checks is as old as Methusalem. That is the reason I don't accept checks (nor payments by credit cards), and for some odd reason 99% are coming from Nigeria! Don't know why.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:25
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Please report it Dec 13, 2016

Sorry to hear about that and glad that you didn't actually present the cheque (which is a criminal act in some jurisdictons) or 'repay' any of the money.

Please send all relevant information to the ProZ.com Scam Centre. You say it was through the site? They need to get that profile deleted.

James Heppe-Smith
James Heppe-Smith  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 22:25
German to English

Thread reported to staff Dec 13, 2016

I have reported the thread to the site staff. They can deal with the suspected scammer.

As already mentioned, be very wary of accepting cheques, particularly when they appear to be cashier cheques, or similar. And run a mile if the amount is more than the agreed fee for the task.

In this case, seller (of services) beware!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

beware of Charles Jayden ([email protected])

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »