Tiina Linnamaa
Tiina Linnamaa  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:14
English to Finnish
+ ...
Jul 17, 2017

Hi all,

it's the same old story that one unfortunately reads here so often: my client won't pay me for the work I've done. I did a large translation for them in April and delivered it on 3.5. They had no complaints about the translation, quite the opposite, I sent the invoice in, the invoice was accepted and payment promised in 14 days, but no. After several reminders from my side and empty promises from theirs, the invoice, dated 5.5., has still not been paid.

So the q
... See more
Hi all,

it's the same old story that one unfortunately reads here so often: my client won't pay me for the work I've done. I did a large translation for them in April and delivered it on 3.5. They had no complaints about the translation, quite the opposite, I sent the invoice in, the invoice was accepted and payment promised in 14 days, but no. After several reminders from my side and empty promises from theirs, the invoice, dated 5.5., has still not been paid.

So the question is, how to proceed now? Which would be the best way to deal with this issue from now on: should I use a debt collection agency or get a lawyer to deal with this for me? Anyone with experience about this? I will obviously post this matter on all non-payer lists I subscribe to, but apart from that, what would be the best way to proceed?

I'm resident in Germany and the non-paying agency is Belgian. The invoice sum is several thousand euros, so it's making a big dent in my finances.
Collapse

Vadim Kadyrov
Vadim Kadyrov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 20:14
English to Russian
+ ...
Debt collection agency has to be the last option. Jul 17, 2017

Some of my steps I took in similar situations https://engrutra.wordpress.com/2014/08/12/non-payers-when-clients-vanish-into-thin-air/

Hope it helps.

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
European payment order Jul 17, 2017

Signals you're serious. If you're an experienced small businessperson, you don't need any legal assistance for the paperwork.

https://e-justice.europa.eu/content_order_for_payment_procedures-41-en.do

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:14
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Debt collection agency is better Jul 17, 2017

In my experience, a debt collection agency is better.

On a number of occasions, when people tried not to pay me, I politely sent them a very simple final email that says

"Unless I receive confirmation from my bank, within the next 3 calendar days,that you have paid me in full, further action may follow without notice. You may wish to visit this website (link)" Yours sincerely, etc., etc."

The link takes them to the rather threatening website of a large debt
... See more

On a number of occasions, when people tried not to pay me, I politely sent them a very simple final email that says

"Unless I receive confirmation from my bank, within the next 3 calendar days,that you have paid me in full, further action may follow without notice. You may wish to visit this website (link)" Yours sincerely, etc., etc."

The link takes them to the rather threatening website of a large debt collection agency based in their country. The particular website I use is excellent because it describes, in some detail, the step-by-step process they carry out. The process begins with a polite letter and culminates with large men turning up in a van, and taking away assets.

Thanks to this, I find I've always been paid within 24 hours and have never needed to actually initiate proceedings.

[Edited at 2017-07-17 10:28 GMT]
Collapse

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Hint for next time and for this time Jul 17, 2017

This will not change your current situation, nor will it rule out the risk of bad debt. However, it may simply reduce the amount you fight to receover: on jobs over [whatever limit you are prepared to accept]€, ask for 30% upfront. Serious clients have no problem with this.

For now, make sure you get some official demand for payment in ASAP. If the agency is in difficulty, if they cease trading, a debt affirmed in this way is higher up the rankings than it would be otherwise. Howe
... See more
This will not change your current situation, nor will it rule out the risk of bad debt. However, it may simply reduce the amount you fight to receover: on jobs over [whatever limit you are prepared to accept]€, ask for 30% upfront. Serious clients have no problem with this.

For now, make sure you get some official demand for payment in ASAP. If the agency is in difficulty, if they cease trading, a debt affirmed in this way is higher up the rankings than it would be otherwise. However, we all know that if a business is about to close, then once any employees, the taxman and other official state funds have been paid, the suppliers (you) are last on the list. (One of the reasons I don't like clocking up too much work with agencies that pay at 60 days, the risk being that there is 2 months' work on hold for payment. Too risky).

[Edited at 2017-07-17 10:44 GMT]
Collapse

Tiina Linnamaa
Tiina Linnamaa  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good tips Jul 17, 2017

Thank you all for your replies, they are greatly appreciated. I wasn't aware of the European Payment Order, I think I shall go for that, if the money is not on my account by the end of today (their latest promise).

And Nikki, yes, next time I'll definitely ask for part of the money upfront. I just didn't expect this because they have been prompt payers before.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:14
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Need one myself for an agency based in London. Jul 26, 2019

Tom in London wrote:

The link takes them to the rather threatening website of a large debt collection agency based in their country. The particular website I use is excellent because it describes, in some detail, the step-by-step process they carry out. The process begins with a polite letter and culminates with large men turning up in a van, and taking away assets.

Thanks to this, I find I've always been paid within 24 hours and have never needed to actually initiate proceedings.

[Edited at 2017-07-17 10:28 GMT]

Hi Tom,

Care to tell us who you used? That page you mentioned detailing the step-by-step process sounds effective.

Michael

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Debt collection agency or lawyer?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »