Delete duplicates i TM?
Thread poster: Profdoc
Profdoc
Profdoc
Local time: 23:34
Swedish to English
Aug 13, 2010

Is it recommendable to delete duplicates in a memoQ translation memory?

I translate technical documentation for a software company and at the moment I'm creating a new TM by aligning older original and translated documents. A lot of phrases and sentences are used repeatedly throughout the documents (which of course is why I use memoQ in the first place).

Anyway, the TM ends up having a lot of repeats in it. I'm not sure how many, but I wouldn't be surprised if 25-50% of
... See more
Is it recommendable to delete duplicates in a memoQ translation memory?

I translate technical documentation for a software company and at the moment I'm creating a new TM by aligning older original and translated documents. A lot of phrases and sentences are used repeatedly throughout the documents (which of course is why I use memoQ in the first place).

Anyway, the TM ends up having a lot of repeats in it. I'm not sure how many, but I wouldn't be surprised if 25-50% of the translation units are duplicates. Some of them are short, just one word, but there are a lot of them.

Is this a problem or does the TM work just fine anyway? If it is recommendable to remove the duplicates, what is the best method of doing it?

Thanks!
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Not necessary Aug 13, 2010

Profdoc wrote:

Anyway, the TM ends up having a lot of repeats in it. I'm not sure how many, but I wouldn't be surprised if 25-50% of the translation units are duplicates. Some of them are short, just one word, but there are a lot of them.

Is this a problem or does the TM work just fine anyway?

It's not a problem, leave it as is.

By default, MQ stores this kind of duplicates in order to save the context information.
So, if one day, you receive an updated document, you'll not be forced to revise it thouroughly, MQ will remember the correct sequence of TUs and you'll need only to check the efective changes.

BTW, in a lot of target languages (as Polish), the 100% matches should be always checked and revised because they may be translated in a different way depending of the context.
E.g., basically, in English you have no grammatical gender, the Polish translation of "it" may be translated in 3 different ways, MQ permits to apply the correct one if an appropriate contextual information is present.

Cheers
GG

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 05:34
English to Thai
+ ...
OCR converted document Aug 14, 2010

I recently translated the OCR converted (untidy) document where TM hits were very bad. Format change made 100% match impossible and those many TU in TM did tricks for me. This is known as fuzzy in CAT tool algorithm.

Best regards,

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Péter Tófalvi
Péter Tófalvi  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
How this feature actually works? Apr 21, 2017

I see that one can mark duplicates for merging or deletion, but then you must delete/merge the marked entries one by one, there is no one-step solution,

hhgygy
hhgygy
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Deleting duplicates Apr 27, 2017

Péter Tófalvi wrote:

I see that one can mark duplicates for merging or deletion, but then you must delete/merge the marked entries one by one, there is no one-step solution,

Actually you can mark them all first and then delete them all by clicking on merge/delete once more.

Elif Baykara Narbay
Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 01:34
German to Turkish
+ ...
Olifant Apr 27, 2017

I could not figure out the solution to the very same problem in memoQ.

I use the Olifant software from Okapi. Olifant is straightforward and quick.

Elif

Péter Tófalvi
Péter Tófalvi  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
This is a mess Feb 25, 2020

hhgygy wrote:
Actually you can mark them all first and then delete them all by clicking on merge/delete once more.

Actually, you cannot do anything in memoQ, it's full of nonsense.
OK, one can figure out how to select all entries (by hitting Crtl-Shit-End), but why there is no such a button (Select all)?
Even after selection, there is no such option as the one you wrote about (Delete) One can hit the Merge Selected indeed, but who knows what happens? It may merge all selected items (there are thousands of them). How can I sure that it will merge each Master record with its duplicate(s) marked for deletion/merge?
All this is a mess, I wonder who was the software developer who was able to release on the market such a terrible work.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Delete duplicates i TM?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »