Webinar: Coping with English Pronunciation for Non-Native speakers
Thread poster: Karolina Karczmarek-Giel (X)
Karolina Karczmarek-Giel (X)
Karolina Karczmarek-Giel (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:48
Polish to English
May 4, 2017

24 MAY 2017 AT 11:30 AM
This webinar will be a fun session focussing on the sounds and intonation of General British English. It will give you an understanding of some of the apparently illogical pronunciations of British English and help you to develop your speaking skills.
You can book
... See more
24 MAY 2017 AT 11:30 AM
This webinar will be a fun session focussing on the sounds and intonation of General British English. It will give you an understanding of some of the apparently illogical pronunciations of British English and help you to develop your speaking skills.
You can book it at https://www.ecpdwebinars.co.uk/downloads/coping-with-english-pronunciation-for-non-native-speakers/
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:48
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Are you expecting agreement? May 4, 2017

Karolina Karczmarek-Giel wrote:
It will give you an understanding of some of the apparently illogical pronunciations of British English and help you to develop your speaking skills.

Not only is the spelling of many English words totally at odds with their pronunciation, often you can't get two native speakers to agree on their pronunciation. My husband and I are both from the south of England, but our origins are a mix of Surrey and SW London for me and Hampshire plus Caithness for him. We have different ideas on the pronunciation of very many words.

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:48
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sounds interesting! May 4, 2017

Maybe it will help English speakers understand each other's speech a bit better, knowing what kinds of sounds to expect from different regional speakers. It isn't easy for me to understand some of the accents of English speakers from other regions.

I'm from the Southwest U.S. Once a lady was talking to me and I asked where she was from. She said, "Maine." I thought she was from a different country because I couldn't understand most of what she was saying! I have to listen ver
... See more
Maybe it will help English speakers understand each other's speech a bit better, knowing what kinds of sounds to expect from different regional speakers. It isn't easy for me to understand some of the accents of English speakers from other regions.

I'm from the Southwest U.S. Once a lady was talking to me and I asked where she was from. She said, "Maine." I thought she was from a different country because I couldn't understand most of what she was saying! I have to listen very carefully when people from overseas speak their native (or learned) English!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Webinar: Coping with English Pronunciation for Non-Native speakers

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »