Webinar: Behind the scenes at the airport
Thread poster: Karolina Karczmarek-Giel (X)
Karolina Karczmarek-Giel (X)
Karolina Karczmarek-Giel (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:59
Polish to English
Mar 29, 2017

5 APRIL 2017 AT 2:00 PM
eCPD has engaged the services of an airline pilot to give a presentation on what goes on behind the scenes at an airport. Not only is he a pilot, currently working with a well-known airline, but prior to his training he worked in nearly every section of the airport, thus gaining an intimate knowledge of what goes on behind the scenes, and who carries out the work.
... See more
5 APRIL 2017 AT 2:00 PM
eCPD has engaged the services of an airline pilot to give a presentation on what goes on behind the scenes at an airport. Not only is he a pilot, currently working with a well-known airline, but prior to his training he worked in nearly every section of the airport, thus gaining an intimate knowledge of what goes on behind the scenes, and who carries out the work.
Book it at https://www.ecpdwebinars.co.uk/downloads/behind-the-scenes-at-the-airport-a-talk-by-an-airport-insider/
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
How did you know? Mar 30, 2017

Karolina Karczmarek-Giel wrote:
eCPD has engaged the services of an airline pilot to give a presentation on what goes on behind the scenes at an airport.

I'm currently working on what I hope will be a regular job providing airport announcement texts, so this couldn't have come at a better time!

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:59
Spanish to English
+ ...
... who does the work at airports ... Mar 30, 2017

... including the translations.

Sheila, I hope this new job gives you the chance to rid all AENA airports of the recorded announcement we hear all the time, "Please passengers proceed to Gate X ...". Even if there were a comma - or a pause, rather - after "Please" it still wouldn't be right.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Funny you should say that Mar 30, 2017

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

... including the translations.

Sheila, I hope this new job gives you the chance to rid all AENA airports of the recorded announcement we hear all the time, "Please passengers proceed to Gate X ...". Even if there were a comma - or a pause, rather - after "Please" it still wouldn't be right.

I can't disclose which airport(s) I'm working with, but it's exactly the type of mistake I'm seeing and dealing with. Maybe I'll get to rid the entire world of that one .

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:59
Spanish to English
+ ...
That would be ... Mar 30, 2017

... a great feat indeed. Go for it.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Terminal Mar 30, 2017

Has anyone seen the film "Terminal"? It stars Tom Hanks as a suddenly "stateless person" who is not allowed to immigrate or to board a flight back whence he came. He finds himself forced to live in the terminal building at Kennedy Airport - and manages to survive. It certainly gives some insight into who does the work at airports. I don't know how realistic it is but it's a fascinating idea.
Ping-pong! Passengers for flight 666 to Ghastlistan, please ...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Webinar: Behind the scenes at the airport

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »