Thread poster: Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
Local time: 18:57
English to Polish
+ ...
May 4, 2017

I believe, lots of us will be happy to learn that the new build introduces the oh-so-awaited highlighting of the Autosearch results in the editor window.

You can set the option in File/Options/Display/Other colors, and choose the colour of your choice.

Also, as far as I can see, Deja Vu now supports the new Microsoft translator API. Yay!

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Goodies May 4, 2017

Wojciech Matyszkiewicz wrote:

I believe, lots of us will be happy to learn that the new build introduces the oh-so-awaited highlighting of the Autosearch results in the editor window.

You can set the option in File/Options/Display/Other colors, and choose the colour of your choice.

Also, as far as I can see, Deja Vu now supports the new Microsoft translator API. Yay!

The support for the new MS API is rather a maintenance update than an added feature.

All goodies are listed here:

Screen Shot 2017-05-04 at 18.21.31

Atril's latest newsletter is dated June 2015:

Screen Shot 2017-05-04 at 18.19.17

[Edited at 2017-05-04 16:24 GMT]

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OK May 4, 2017

CafeTran Training wrote:

The support for the new MS API is rather a maintenance update than an added feature.

All goodies are listed here:

Screen Shot 2017-05-04 at 18.21.31

Atril's latest newsletter is dated June 2015:

Screen Shot 2017-05-04 at 18.19.17

[Edited at 2017-05-04 16:24 GMT]

Thanks for pointing it out.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:57
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Oh sweet irony! May 4, 2017

So after years of asking them to add highlighting of AutoSearch results in the source text, when they finally implement it, guess what? I leave it switched off. After being a firm believer, for many years, that hits need to be highlighted (like in CafeTran and memoQ) or underlined (like in Studio), I now really like Déjà Vu's old way of not highlighting/underlining anything, leaving you with just the source text. I find that this makes it much easier to focus on the meaning of the sourc... See more
So after years of asking them to add highlighting of AutoSearch results in the source text, when they finally implement it, guess what? I leave it switched off. After being a firm believer, for many years, that hits need to be highlighted (like in CafeTran and memoQ) or underlined (like in Studio), I now really like Déjà Vu's old way of not highlighting/underlining anything, leaving you with just the source text. I find that this makes it much easier to focus on the meaning of the source text, instead of dissecting it into little meaningless chunks.

What I was really hoping they would implement, which they haven't yet, is alphabetical sorting of AutoSearch results. No matter how hard I try, I just cannot get used to sorting by location in the source text. I find it impossible to ever find anything in the AutoSearch results if there are any more than only a few hits.

Michael
Collapse

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well May 4, 2017

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer wrote:

So after years of asking them to add highlighting of AutoSearch results in the source text, when they finally implement it, guess what? I leave it switched off. After being a firm believer, for many years, that hits need to be highlighted (like in CafeTran and memoQ) or underlined (like in Studio), I now really like Déjà Vu's old way of not highlighting/underlining anything, leaving you with just the source text. I find that this makes it much easier to focus on the meaning of the source text, instead of dissecting it into little meaningless chunks.

What I was really hoping they would implement, which they haven't yet, is alphabetical sorting of AutoSearch results. No matter how hard I try, I just cannot get used to sorting by location in the source text. I find it impossible to ever find anything in the AutoSearch results if there are any more than only a few hits.

Michael

Who knows what future might bring But on a more serious note, I think Etienne might be able to tell you if they are considering implementing this feature in the next version.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to create a list of desired features that Deja Vu users could come up with, as well as vote for? Much like SDL's Ideas?

[Edited at 2017-05-04 17:03 GMT]

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 20:57
English to Turkish
+ ...
Perhaps you will switch it off as well :) May 4, 2017

Michael

Hi Michael,

AFAIK, Atril is working on DVX4 now. Alphabetical sorting of AutoSearch results may be included in the first build of DVX4. I will not prefer it and I will not be surprised if you switch it off as well

A list of feature requests... my vote goes for a filter for multilingual Excel files.

Selcuk

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I wonder... May 4, 2017

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Michael

Hi Michael,

AFAIK, Atril is working on DVX4 now. Alphabetical sorting of AutoSearch results may be included in the first build of DVX4. I will not prefer it and I will not be surprised if you switch it off as well

A list of feature requests... my vote goes for a filter for multilingual Excel files.

Selcuk

I wonder what goodies they are preparing in the new version. I hope it will be something spectacular that will make me discard Trados.

I'll think of a solution where all DVX aficionado could report their ideas and vote for them as well.

mikhailo
mikhailo
English to Russian
+ ...
re May 4, 2017

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:
Selcuk

A list of feature requests...

0. Easy way to transfer/backup-restore ALL OWN settings (including filters, spelling dictionaries, lists etc)
1. Confirm and goto next empty
2. Support of lists - abbreviation, placeables (or extract them with regex or other rules).
3. Joining all QA in one place/action - duplicates, numbers, tags, custom QA, spelling. May be pale color highlighting of segments with different types QA.
4. Reloading files without losing of translated segments.
5. Automatically joining segments after adding new abbreviation in the list.
6. Update translation from monolingual target file as TS can do.
7. Source file preparation -> removing multiple spaces, replace quotes and apostrophes to uniqie style.
8. Divide segments on tabs as a standard option.
9. Extended regex support in filters/segment boudaries for filters - for working with text from infix, transcad etc - for example - to not import segs with no alphabetic characters - numbers etc.
10. Opportunity to setup filter list (better with checkboxes) - I never use about half of standart filters, but spend time to scroll to my filters and back.
11. Filtering word with all wordforms.
12. Native support 4K/retina monitors.
13. Import of bilingual files, for example Excel, CSV, RTF (From MQ and Trados).
14. Preview thru Copy/Paste in Acrobat PDF (for adobe indesing and other stuff)
15. Do not taking into account non alphabetic characters and tags when calculate % of matches or add 99% match for pretranslate.
16. Highlight is rather needed for lexicon words than for Autosearch. But remember flexion of some langs.
17. DWG-filter.
18. Pasting multiple cells simultaneously - like in Excel.
19. Export bilingual directly to tsv/txt (try to open 50000 seg rtf) or tmx (for those, who need TM for use with other CAT).
20. Hide/Show or easier way to filter project files (like layers in Autocad).
21. Unifying interface terminology with a leader (TS)
22. Set of trados-like hotkeys - for those, who want to switch from TS to DV.
23. Do not export to TM options - segs with no aplhabetic characters, source=translation, source shorter 1,2,3,4,5 symbols etc.
24. Measuring Units calculator as for example Master Converter.
25. Speech recognition with google engine for translation.
26. RMB menu like for filter - Search in internet.
27. SDK for plugin developers (if DV will succeed to survive in struggle with TS/MQ).
28. Adoption to Ultrawide monitors with a lot of horizontal space and few in vertical (switch to old-fashioned (NOT RIBBON) panel or vertical panel between source and translation (to minimize mouse movements).
29. 64-bit version with big files support.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:57
English to Spanish
+ ...
I like the 64-bit support May 5, 2017

Atril, really, get cracking, because it's 2017 and we've been using 64-bit systems for two decades now. Especially those of us who work in a Mac OSX environment.

But let me add this short wishlist (I wrote to Etienne about it, and somehow I didn't explain myself well).

1) Implement multiple language settings for the target segments. For instance, the translated segment may have a brand name, a foreign-language agency title, etc. which has to remain. It is a waste of tim
... See more
Atril, really, get cracking, because it's 2017 and we've been using 64-bit systems for two decades now. Especially those of us who work in a Mac OSX environment.

But let me add this short wishlist (I wrote to Etienne about it, and somehow I didn't explain myself well).

1) Implement multiple language settings for the target segments. For instance, the translated segment may have a brand name, a foreign-language agency title, etc. which has to remain. It is a waste of time to run F7 and have the spellchecker ignore every single foreign-language word that you needed to leave there in the target segment.

2) Although I love the option to use the Microsoft Office Live filter when creating/importing Word files in order to keep the original formatting (bold, italics, etc.), I want a fuller visual experience: sure, I can insert several Unicode characters outside of my keyboard but I want to be able to color text and manipulate it better.

3) Better filters to import and export TBX or termbases to exchange among different CAT tools.
Collapse

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well May 6, 2017

Mario Chavez wrote:

1) Implement multiple language settings for the target segments. For instance, the translated segment may have a brand name, a foreign-language agency title, etc. which has to remain. It is a waste of time to run F7 and have the spellchecker ignore every single foreign-language word that you needed to leave there in the target segment.

2) Although I love the option to use the Microsoft Office Live filter when creating/importing Word files in order to keep the original formatting (bold, italics, etc.), I want a fuller visual experience: sure, I can insert several Unicode characters outside of my keyboard but I want to be able to color text and manipulate it better.

3) Better filters to import and export TBX or termbases to exchange among different CAT tools.

It's nice to see that the forum has come to life again
We need to have an online, active wishlist where we could vote for the submitted ideas, much like SDL Ideas forum, which is really great.
Question remains, whether Atril will take into consideration our wishes. Let's hope they will, at least partially.

mikhailo
mikhailo
English to Russian
+ ...
re May 7, 2017

It's nice to see that the forum has come to life again
We need to have an online, active wishlist where we could vote for the submitted ideas, much like SDL Ideas forum, which is really great.
Question remains, whether Atril will take into consideration our wishes. Let's hope they will, at least partially.

seeing as quickly TS is developping I think that DV, being developped as Atril did it before, will lose its last advantages in 1-2 years.
Lack of communication from Atril (at least once in week or month) promises nothing good.

They need to find a partnership with Google to profit from Google services - MT, Speech recognition, and pay attention to weak points of all CAT - translation of drawings' formats in close cooperation with CAD developpers - Autodesk and others.

Visual formatting is also seems to be not so quick as pasting two tags (but tags should be informative is a HMTL tags [b][i][u], but not senseless like atril's {XXX}).
It's often difficult to distinguish word boundaries in italic text.
The only advantage of this - possibility of additional formatting of the target in comparison with old tag system.

30. Sorting by target segments

[Редактировалось 2017-05-07 09:39 GMT]

MaxOO (X)
MaxOO (X)
Japan
Just for your information May 7, 2017

I just received the following email from Atril regarding the new version. Just for your information.

"The new version is planned for release this summer 2017.
You don't have to worry about purchasing Déjà Vu X3 though. We will upgrade automatically any new Déjà Vu X3 license so close to the release of the new version."

Cheers,
Max

[Edited at 2017-05-07 16:37 GMT]

mikhailo
mikhailo
English to Russian
+ ...
re May 7, 2017

MaxOO wrote:

I just received the following email from Atril regarding the new version. Just for your information.

"The new version is planned for release this summer 2017.
You don't have to worry about purchasing Déjà Vu X3 though. We will upgrade automatically any new Déjà Vu X3 license so close to the release of the new version."

Cheers,
Max

[Edited at 2017-05-07 16:37 GMT]

To Etienne/Atril

For manual
To minimize work for updating manual in russian please mark ALL NEW TEXT WITH DIFFERENT FONT OR COLOR and think about minimizing it's size. >500 pages it's very much. May be TS way with basic/internediate/advanced cources is not so shocking (with size)

For interface - for translating creates dumb face file with Number_string text, to see what text to be translate, when the the same text is used many times in interface.
And hope, you do not repeat your previous experience with DVX3, which appeared 7 month later!!! from it's announce to appear soon.

31. FULL import TS packages (not only sdlxliff) but with TM and TB and export back to sdlrpx packages..

[Редактировалось 2017-05-07 22:51 GMT]

[Редактировалось 2017-05-07 22:51 GMT]

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:57
English to Spanish
+ ...
DVX3 still has advantages May 9, 2017

Having been a DV user since 1999 (at the same time I became a Trados user), I remember when the option of assembling a translation (target segment) from translated portions appeared more than 10 years ago (correct me if I'm wrong). Nobody else had that functionality, which saved a great deal of time and effort.

I also use SDL Trados 2014 with one or two clients, and their MultiTerm solution is, in my view, clumsier than ever and not as intuitive as Deja Vu's terminology features.... See more
Having been a DV user since 1999 (at the same time I became a Trados user), I remember when the option of assembling a translation (target segment) from translated portions appeared more than 10 years ago (correct me if I'm wrong). Nobody else had that functionality, which saved a great deal of time and effort.

I also use SDL Trados 2014 with one or two clients, and their MultiTerm solution is, in my view, clumsier than ever and not as intuitive as Deja Vu's terminology features.

Only SDL Trados 2017 seems to have caught up with Atril's DVX3 in the first feature I mentioned above.

Having worked with MT engines and based on my knowledge of the software development and localization industry (6 years), I think Atril needs three things:

1) More capital investment (but remain a private company)
2) Fresh blood in their development team
3) A clearer, larger vision for the future of their flagship product (I've seen only incremental features, not enough to catch up with the competition)

Besides, I don't see Deja Vu X software in translation courses, not in America and not in Europe. SDL Trados and memoQ have agreements with translation schools to provide students with a free or deeply discounted (full) version, thus creating a potentially captive audience. I know this partially because one of my PhD universities, Aveiro University (Portugal) has a memoQ agreement for 1 free year license for students, who can then buy their full license for 99 euros.

Oh, and for the wishlist, Atril: the help system in Deja Vu is awfully outdated and incomplete.
Collapse

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Agreed May 9, 2017

Mario Chavez wrote:

I also use SDL Trados 2014 with one or two clients, and their MultiTerm solution is, in my view, clumsier than ever and not as intuitive as Deja Vu's terminology features.

Only SDL Trados 2017 seems to have caught up with Atril's DVX3 in the first feature I mentioned above.

Having worked with MT engines and based on my knowledge of the software development and localization industry (6 years), I think Atril needs three things:

1) More capital investment (but remain a private company)
2) Fresh blood in their development team
3) A clearer, larger vision for the future of their flagship product (I've seen only incremental features, not enough to catch up with the competition)

Besides, I don't see Deja Vu X software in translation courses, not in America and not in Europe. SDL Trados and memoQ have agreements with translation schools to provide students with a free or deeply discounted (full) version, thus creating a potentially captive audience. I know this partially because one of my PhD universities, Aveiro University (Portugal) has a memoQ agreement for 1 free year license for students, who can then buy their full license for 99 euros.

Oh, and for the wishlist, Atril: the help system in Deja Vu is awfully outdated and incomplete.

I do agree. DV still has a lot of advantages over some tools and its Autowrite is only inferior to excellent Trados Studio's Autosuggest.

I say, bring in more ready, but adjustable QA options (instead of using akward SQL), hone Autowrite (add proper names), allow for synonyms in Glossaries, add WebSearch functionality, and we are almost there

Then there is one more necessity: react actively to user's suggestions, telling them which ones are possible to introduce in short time, and which ones need to wait.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New Build 9.0744 and new goodies

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »